PDA

View Full Version : Pulled pork timing quandary

Jaskew82
11-29-2011, 10:39 AM
So my office is doing a pot luck. Last year to make it easy I did crock pot pulled pork :doh: and everyone FARKING LOVED IT.

This year, I want to do the real thing. I was thinking of picking up a single 9# (ish) boston butt. Here is the challange, I arrive to work typically at 8:15am. I could push it to 9am that day. Food will be put out at 1pm for all to enjoy. I have no way of re-heating it and I cannot bring the smoker to work.

How does the timing work?

I was thinking of putting it on at 11pm with the HOPES it comes off promptly at 8am. :pray::pray: Wrap it and put it into a warmed cooler and let rest until 1pm. That is 5 hours and seems like a LONG time. There is no way I can guarantee this though.

What do the Brethren suggest?

gtr
11-29-2011, 10:45 AM
I've coolered butts for as long as 6 hrs. before, and I've heard of longer, even up to 11 hours.

Gore
11-29-2011, 10:48 AM
If you wrap it in a cooler, you can easily hold it for 5 hours and it'll still be too hot to pull. Will you be pulling this at work? Depending on your temp, I'd start earlier and give yourself a couple more hours leeway.

kihrer
11-29-2011, 10:49 AM
Do what gtr said. It will stay hot that long in a warmed cooler or a Cambro.

Jaskew82
11-29-2011, 10:55 AM
If you wrap it in a cooler, you can easily hold it for 5 hours and it'll still be too hot to pull. Will you be pulling this at work? Depending on your temp, I'd start earlier and give yourself a couple more hours leeway.

I will be pulling it at work (gotta love the wow factor it gives to innocent bystanders :clap2: )

So then maybe put it on at 10pm the night before at 250?

Lake Dogs
11-29-2011, 11:17 AM
10pm at 250 should work great. Off at/by 8. If it's ever-so-slightly under cooked you'll be OK with the warming. If it's ever-so-slightly over cooked you're still good to go.

Wrap 'er up and go. She'll be burn-yo-finger hot 5 hours later.

I've coolered 12 hours and they were great but just not nearly as hot as coolered 5-8 hours...

mtbchip
11-29-2011, 10:52 PM
19 hours. Put in the cooker cold and ran temp up to 225, then held! Only with that much time can you develop a deep rich bark. Prior to pulling the meat, cut away and SAVE the bark. Then after pulling the meat apart with two forks, chop the bark on a cutting board until it is small pieces like bacon bits. Add back to the meat and serve. Add BBQ sauce very light, as the meat and bark combo will knock-you-out!

martyleach
11-29-2011, 11:04 PM
Like they all said except I put a pot of boiling water in my ice chest on a towel 30 minutes before I am ready to put the butt in. Get the chest humid and hot. Wrap your butt in foil and towels, put in the chest for many hours. It works great!

big brother smoke
11-29-2011, 11:12 PM
I assume you are going to be cooking at 260 or so to get butts done by 8am?

Jaskew82
11-30-2011, 07:39 AM
I assume you are going to be cooking at 260 or so to get butts done by 8am?

Just one butt and I was planning on 250. If I went down to 225, I guess I could throw them it on around 8pm but that just seems like an unnecessary amount of time.

Coldholler
11-30-2011, 08:20 AM
If you preheat your cooler as described -- no problem at all. I smoked 4 butts almost that size for 8 hours at 250 last week and then coolered them for only an hour, and I swear they were hotter afterward.

Coldholler
11-30-2011, 08:21 AM
Love the advice about slower and lower to get the bark. Love the idea about chopping the bark into bacon bits, too -- seems that would better infiltrate all the pulled meat with the rub, too.

Redleg71
11-30-2011, 08:32 AM
Dumb question- But is there an internal heat for pulled pork that one she be striving to hit. I made some the other day and it was on the Egg for about 6 hours and it was a little dry

Coldholler
11-30-2011, 08:43 AM
Dumb question- But is there an internal heat for pulled pork that one she be striving to hit. I made some the other day and it was on the Egg for about 6 hours and it was a little dry

What temp were you cooking with? Maybe it was high? Maybe get a thermometer at meat-level -- it's often different up at the ceiling. At 250, it wouldn't have been pullable at 6 hours, but it should have chopped or sliced into moist (not dry), succulent smoke roasted pork. I would guess it would have been 175-180 degrees, depending on the length of your stall and if you foiled it at 140-150d. (I think).

To answer your question, and I'm a newbie but figured this out myself through trial, error, and success, and with advice from here, it should reach an internal temp of 195-205 to be pullable. I pulled mine after hitting 203 last week, and they were dripping with moisture still. Cooked 8 hours at 250.

kurtsara
11-30-2011, 09:09 AM

if your asking if there is a internal temp for when it is done for pulling I believe most pull it at about 195 to 205

Jaskew82
11-30-2011, 10:07 AM

I always pull when it passes the fork test...