PDA

View Full Version : Where do you buy your meat

Cack
11-29-2011, 07:38 AM
For the Manly Sized Meat TD I bought my Porterhouse T Bone from a local butcher shop. Only problem is, its every bit of 45 minutes from my house.

Normally, my gf and I will just pick our meat up at a grocery store. We've found that Bloom/Food Lion has the best steaks but BiLo and Public has the best ribs.

One would think, with all of the farming around upstate SC it'd be pretty easy to find meat markets but its not.

Any other thoughts on where we could look?

chief domestic engineer
11-29-2011, 08:33 AM
I'm not in SC but http://www.eatwild.com/products/socarolina.html might work.

G2
11-29-2011, 08:41 AM
I've been buying from Sam's Club for a while but I've recently joined Restaurant Depot which has become my new go-to spot for meat. They have whole prime ribeye and tenderloin plus a huge selection of everything else at great prices. Not sure if there is one there in SC.

ClintHTX
11-29-2011, 08:47 AM
I go to grocery stores like HEB. I don't have anywhere else to go! Considering going to a butcher anyone know if the prices are good/worth it?

Cack
11-29-2011, 09:05 AM
I go to grocery stores like HEB. I don't have anywhere else to go! Considering going to a butcher anyone know if the prices are good/worth it?

The Porterhouse I got was great. Price was about the same as a grocery store, but meat was probably a bit fresher. Honestly, for the money and time to get there I wasn't blown away.

Ron_L
11-29-2011, 10:06 AM
It depends on the meat for me. For steaks, chops, etc. I either go to a local butcher or a higher end market, but for briskets, butts, ribs, tritip, etc. I go to Restaurant Depot.

markdtn
11-29-2011, 10:27 AM
For Pork I go to Sams.
For Poultry I go to Sams
For Beef I get Briskets at Sams and most anything else at Publix
For Fish I get fresh at Publix or frozen from Wal Mart
I have ocassionally bought on sale items at Publix or BiLo to cook.

If you have a Winn Dixie they are also good for buying meat.

Divemaster
11-29-2011, 10:51 AM
I get most of mine from Rest. Depot.

I have no problem cutting my own meat, cryo-sucking it, and then putting it in the freezer.

landarc
11-29-2011, 11:04 AM
Because of where I live and my normal daily travels, I find myself near a few high end grocery stores with real butcher shops, even on that does carcasses, so I can get meat, at a premium price, pretty easily. Since I am single, it is easy for me to afford one or two pieces of meat.

For larger cooks, I go to Smart and Final or get a friend to buy from Costco.

BBQ_MAFIA
11-29-2011, 11:34 AM
I get most of my meat at Restaurant Depot. Sometimes we get Ribs at Costco.
I'm lucky as RD, Costco, and BJs are all within 5 mins. from my house.

JD McGee
11-29-2011, 01:29 PM
Costco...

Full Draw BBQ
11-29-2011, 01:50 PM
Costco or a meat market about 10 min from my house for me.....but I'm checking out Rest. Depot this week and hope it's my new spot.

che22879
11-29-2011, 02:07 PM
Sam's club.

Rubmybutt
11-29-2011, 02:29 PM
Sam's Club for us, I know it's fresh cuz they sell so much, it's always choice or better and they beat the snot out of our local grocery stores prices. We always buy by the case for best price and like Divemaster I have no prob playin wit the sucker machine and takin it to the root cellar:becky:

Question, the nearest Restaurant depot is in St. Paul and some time we get up there but I tryed to start an account and they need the name of your restaurant? I don't have one, do all of you or how do you get around it? Thanks. :thumb:

pwa
11-29-2011, 03:49 PM
Sam's Clubs for me :)

pwa

LMAJ
11-29-2011, 05:20 PM
It depends 0 if I'm throwing something on the smoker then BJs Wholesale. If it's a special occasion then I will go to my local butcher for prime grade beef.
I would like to go to RD, but don't have access to one.

thirtydaZe
11-29-2011, 05:26 PM
No Frills mostly.
Sometimes Fareway, Hyvee.

Have a beef in my basement so i go there for that.

ODU Dad
11-29-2011, 05:30 PM
For most of my purchases, I go to Costco. BJ's also has good prices on pork butts. I then look in the newspaper for the good deals and put it in the freezer for later cooks. I have a neighborhood type market that advertises good deals on steak on a regular basis. I get a porterhouse custom cut to my thickness (2 inches).

Jay 41
11-29-2011, 05:39 PM
I like this place, it's about 45 mins. away though. http://elburnmarket.com/ never bought a bad cut of meat there.:thumb:

pigout sc
11-29-2011, 05:43 PM
Hey Cack,

I live close to you so I get my meat from many of the same places. Seems to me it is hit and miss at all of them, especially steaks. I have had good and bad from all

expatpig
11-29-2011, 05:54 PM
I buy a half steer every year locally and have it butchered the way I want it. Unfortunately, to satisfy my porcine appetite, I go to the grocery store, where incidentally, they sell 8lb frozen, run of the mill turkeys for $31.00. Ouch!

RevZiLLa
11-29-2011, 09:03 PM
There is no RD around here, so its mostly costco and food lion. I have been very disappointed in the meat dept at kroger and martins

Pyle's BBQ
11-29-2011, 09:20 PM
No Frills mostly.
Sometimes Fareway, Hyvee.

Have a beef in my basement so i go there for that.

Same here on the last two. I do check Costco if Fareway doesn't have anything on special. Their special last week was $4.99/lb whole NY Strips. I do have a meat wholesaler, Brewers, that I can order from if need be. They custom cut their own steaks. If I really wanted to I could probably get something from Sysco.

kennedyma
11-29-2011, 09:31 PM
I like this place, it's about 45 mins. away though. http://elburnmarket.com/ never bought a bad cut of meat there.:thumb:

I love this place!! One thing to note, their Pork is the same as what you get at Sam's IBP, so no need to buy ribs or butts from them IMHO. I do get bellies from them though only because I can't seem to find them elsewhere.

There beef is sourced from another location though and is always pretty good.

big brother smoke
11-29-2011, 10:31 PM
Sam's Club for us, I know it's fresh cuz they sell so much, it's always choice or better and they beat the snot out of our local grocery stores prices. We always buy by the case for best price and like Divemaster I have no prob playin wit the sucker machine and takin it to the root cellar:becky:

Question, the nearest Restaurant depot is in St. Paul and some time we get up there but I tryed to start an account and they need the name of your restaurant? I don't have one, do all of you or how do you get around it? Thanks. :thumb:

You just need a business license not a restaurant.:thumb:

Cloudsmoker
11-29-2011, 10:37 PM
SAMs and COSTCO. But, been meaning to checkout Restaurant Depot and Winn's.

Capozzoli
11-29-2011, 11:22 PM
I go to the Italian Market here in Philly, Espositos mostly when Im there. Good quality and prices.

Or I go to The Meat Store in Bensalem PA. Lots of good stuff there.

I would rather pay a little more for the good stuff from a local butcher. Plus if you know your butcher they will always steer you in the right direction.

Chef Jim
11-29-2011, 11:51 PM
RD whenever I can. And their newest location in Riviera Beach FL opens in two weeks. That will knock a whole bunch off my round trip. And the fact that the VA hospt. where I seem to spend too much time is less than a mile away!

Tennessee Jed
11-30-2011, 06:15 AM
Up until a few weeks ago I had been getting most of my meat at Sams. Had very little issue with them over the past few years. We did a competition Nov 18th and they were low on brisket so I decided to try a local butcher for the first time. To make this long story short, I told them I was using the meat for competition... they cut my ribs perfectly, trimmed my brisket & chicken 10x better than I could have, and provided the pork & brisket to the exact weight I asked. Even asked if I preferred a certain 'kill date"! I admit it was a little more costly than Sams, but I think I've found a new source. If anyone is in the Knoxville TN area I highly recommend Lays Market downtown.

Trumpstylz
11-30-2011, 03:32 PM
Costco, sometimes Sam's club, sometimes imboden's in dekalb.

smokingj
12-01-2011, 12:52 PM
Restaurant Depot. My lady is in the biz so her boss lets me tag along on days when he goes to shop...

Booking It
12-01-2011, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by Rubmybutt
Question, the nearest Restaurant depot is in St. Paul and some time we get up there but I tryed to start an account and they need the name of your restaurant? I don't have one, do all of you or how do you get around it? Thanks.
If you are a member of the KCBS, you can login to your account on the KCBS website and print out a day pass for Restaurant Depot. I believe it is under the "Discounts" link that will appear once you login. It's easy, but I think they will only let you use cash to purchase... no checks or cards (at least that's what mine told me). They also have sales on Royal Oak several times a year... it's crazy cheap!

I buy brisket from there because I can usually find a small enough one for the two of us. Everything else is normally too big and I hate freezing meat. I buy the rest of my meat from either our rather expensive local store (Sunset Foods in the Chicago area) or from a butcher. The meat at Jewel and Dominicks is terrible!

deepsouth
12-01-2011, 02:27 PM
winn dixie, walmart, sams.

wish i had better choices.

42BBQ
12-01-2011, 02:38 PM
Costco (chicken and ribs) and Walmart (butts and packer brisket). Sam's and RD are 45 minutes to an hour and a half away.

trufunk
12-01-2011, 03:41 PM
Usually HEB for Briskets, I went to Culebra meat market for a Brisket they wanted $50 for a 20 lbs. Brisket I said see ya and went to HEB @ $1.98 a pound!