PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Barrel for UDS

Bbqin fool
11-28-2011, 08:21 PM
I have finally decided that I have done enough research and that it is now time to delve into the world of UDS'! I have found a supplier for 55 gallon drums. I can get new or used. The used has never had any epoxy liners and have been heavily washed or "reconditioned." The new is the same however more expensive. My question is would this be ok? The price is around 20-30 dollars for used and 75 dollars for new. All insight is greatly appreciated!

smokeyw
11-28-2011, 08:25 PM
As long as they don't have a liner (bare metal), either will be fine. I would probably go with the used one for the price.

ClintHTX
11-28-2011, 08:30 PM
I got a used one for the cheaper price. But that's me. I good luck with your build. Just built mine little less than a month ago never been any happier and I'm sure you won't either.

BigBobBQ
11-28-2011, 08:31 PM
the used barrel is going to be just as good as the new one, all your going to do is cook on it and after a few cooks it is going to get dirty anyway. If it had no liners that is a huge plus, so go for it and show us what you got.

Bbqin fool
11-28-2011, 08:53 PM
Sounds great guys, Thanks! So if no liner, do I still need to do a burn out? Should I use a weed burner on the exterior? Thanks so much guys!

bdodd444
11-28-2011, 09:13 PM
If there is no liner you don't necessarily need to do a burn out. The burn out is kind of a UDS rite of passage, so you may want to do it anyway:) However, once you get that t-shirt it may not matter to you. When I built my third one, I took it to a sandblaster and deemed it the best $40 I ever spent. The burnout will take care of the exterior as well, so I would not mess around with the weed burner. I did play around with using the weed burner and did not find that it was very effective. Aside from the sandblasting, the burnout and a wire wheel will be needed to do it right. I hope this was helpful. Good luck.

Brian

Bbqin fool
11-28-2011, 09:50 PM
If there is no liner you don't necessarily need to do a burn out. The burn out is kind of a UDS rite of passage, so you may want to do it anyway:) However, once you get that t-shirt it may not matter to you. When I built my third one, I took it to a sandblaster and deemed it the best $40 I ever spent. The burnout will take care of the exterior as well, so I would not mess around with the weed burner. I did play around with using the weed burner and did not find that it was very effective. Aside from the sandblasting, the burnout and a wire wheel will be needed to do it right. I hope this was helpful. Good luck.

Brian

Yes very helpful indeed!:thumb: I'm really excited to get this started.:clap2::becky: Thanks for the advice guys!

ssbbqguy
11-28-2011, 10:40 PM
I buy new because I build for others. Metal is weird, without wanting to start a pissing match but heat and metals and chemical retention is worth study more than glossing over. I won't take chances with mine or other's health. Not that much difference when all things considered. Epoxies, transformer oil and unknown oils are not easily rid by mere burn outs. Point is, stay safe in order to have fun. Steve.

Bbqin fool
11-29-2011, 09:02 AM
I buy new because I build for others. Metal is weird, without wanting to start a pissing match but heat and metals and chemical retention is worth study more than glossing over. I won't take chances with mine or other's health. Not that much difference when all things considered. Epoxies, transformer oil and unknown oils are not easily rid by mere burn outs. Point is, stay safe in order to have fun. Steve.

After talking it over with the wife, she has convinced me to go the route of new.:icon_blush: Sometimes you just gotta relent on certain aspects.:doh: Either way I'm still gonna be able to build a great smoker!:clap2::thumb:

ClintHTX
11-29-2011, 09:45 AM
After talking it over with the wife, she has convinced me to go the route of new.:icon_blush: Sometimes you just gotta relent on certain aspects.:doh: Either way I'm still gonna be able to build a great smoker!:clap2::thumb:

Either way just do it! My wife said new cause she wasn't to crazy about eating out of it used? Guess a woman thing. Bought a used one spent time cleaning on it. Now every weekend she is figuring out things for me to cook! No matter what route you take once you are finished you will be very happy. Nothing like knowing you were the one who made it not a manufactured company.

Ole Man Dan
11-29-2011, 09:57 AM
Sounds great guys, Thanks! So if no liner, do I still need to do a burn out? Should I use a weed burner on the exterior? Thanks so much guys!

If no liner, the insides of the barrel will most likely have been sprayed with some kind of rust preventive. I'd burn it out.

I loaded a new food grade drum with pallet wood and some charcoal on the bottom, just to be on the safe side. When my fire was really going, I propped the lid on the wood sticking out and got any spray on stuff burned out.

Figure a morning to burn it out, and then clean the insides and oil them in preparation for your first smoke...

I love my UDS.

1FUNVET
11-29-2011, 10:35 AM
Buy the used one and burn it out.Take the money ya saved and buy some beer to drink while the burn out is happening :becky:

Toscadero
11-29-2011, 01:12 PM
I was leaning towards new, but got a great deal on a used, unlined barrel (free and local). The burnout turned out to be fun and easy to do. UDS turned out great.

turp23
11-29-2011, 01:20 PM
I bought used, and it is a lot of work. But I also like to drink, thus giving me a reason too.

10_Bears
11-29-2011, 06:27 PM
"Talking it over with the wife", bahahahahahahahaha :crazy:

---k---
11-29-2011, 09:42 PM

Mine was the same way. To me, it wasn't worth arguing about since it was only $50 and I can get the new local. I got bigger battles...

Have fun with your smoker when you get it finished.

Bbqin fool
11-29-2011, 09:47 PM
"Talking it over with the wife", bahahahahahahahaha :crazy:

I know, a sucker huh?:boxing: Actually she's gonna be my teammate when competing and she's getting into smoking herself.:shocked: This is just another way to initiate her:becky:

Bbqin fool
11-29-2011, 09:48 PM
Mine was the same way. To me, it wasn't worth arguing about since it was only $50 and I can get the new local. I got bigger battles...

Have fun with your smoker when you get it finished.

Definitely agree on bigger battles lol. Same here, what's $50? I'm probably picking it up next week:clap2::becky:

10_Bears
11-29-2011, 10:35 PM
I know, a sucker huh?:boxing: Actually she's gonna be my teammate when competing and she's getting into smoking herself.:shocked: This is just another way to initiate her:becky:

Wish we had more comps here in Oz.

Sammy_Shuford
11-29-2011, 10:56 PM

McMaster Carr, they ship also, you can get heavy gage, no lining, open or closed head.