PDA

View Full Version : Used charcoal question

ClintHTX
11-28-2011, 05:25 PM
Might be a noob question. But when is charcoal considered used? I have a UDS been using minion method should I leave the grey charcoal in there or pick it out? Sorry for the noobish question.

Carbon
11-28-2011, 05:30 PM
I shake the charcoal basket in the UDS to sift out the ashes and mix in fresh charcoal with the old if it needs replenishing.

caseydog
11-28-2011, 05:32 PM
Same as Carbon, I give the basket a shake. The grey dust falls off, and the black chunks that survive the shake get used in the next cook.

CD

grilling24x7
11-28-2011, 05:44 PM
Might be a noob question. But when is charcoal considered used? I have a UDS been using minion method should I leave the grey charcoal in there or pick it out? Sorry for the noobish question.

I think it depends what you are doing. I consider charcoal used when it's ash. When it's ash its done!

An example, I have a better time controlling very high temperature for steaks if I have fresh new coal. I think it burns hotter and more consistent. So for steaks I'll never use 'old' charcoal. However, since there is more give in smoking (much lower temps in a UDS or WSM or whatever) I think its fine to keep old half used coal in there. Just be sure to get rid of most of the old ash, as the other guys said, which can impair air flow.

:thumb:

John

Midnight Smoke
11-28-2011, 05:53 PM
I save all my semi used Charcoal from long Smokes and use it for grilling Chicken, Burgers and Steaks.

Sometimes I just shake it off and add fresh but most of the time I like to start a long Smoke with all fresh coal.

42BBQ
11-28-2011, 05:56 PM
+1 long cooks I always start fresh but I'll save coal whenever I can. Like to use old coal in my chimney or mixed with lump for steaks

BigBobBQ
11-28-2011, 07:09 PM
Like above I just shake mine really good and add more if I think I need them.

qapla
11-28-2011, 07:37 PM
When I have used coals, I just sift out the ash and add new.

You did say you might be a nooB. You will find that the more you get used to your setup the less used colas you will have. When I first started I had half a load of used when the cook was done. Now I mostly have ash at the end of a cook.

Takes a bit of learning but you can resist the urge to add that extra during the cook that results in more used coals then needed.

southernstyle
11-28-2011, 07:46 PM
as metioned above. its old when its ash. shake it out :-D

pinkelephant
11-28-2011, 08:45 PM
I have a big canning pot that I dump the lit coals into after I cook.
The next time I want to cook, I dump the used coals into a milk crate and shake/sift out the ashes into the yard. whatever is left in the crate is what I use to start the next cookout with.
I like to pick the large wood chunks out and add them back in when the coals are hot.

http://serious-bbq.com/SANY1261_thumb.jpg

http://serious-bbq.com/SANY1262_thumb.jpg

pwa
11-28-2011, 10:27 PM
Like most I knock the ash off and reuse. I use lump to smoke mostly but use the same idea know off ash and small chunks and reuse :)

pwa