PDA

View Full Version : What's your "kryptonite"?

Jaskew82
11-28-2011, 02:00 PM
I was thinking about this the other day after I screwed up yet another fatty. Yup - thats right, a fatty. I can cook chicken, ribs, brisket, burgers, sausage links, steak, pork butts, etc. But the damn fatty is like BBQ Kryptonite for me.

So what's yours?

Lake Dogs
11-28-2011, 02:26 PM
skin on thighs, for competitions, is definitely my downfall. skinless I'm good, but skin on; no go.

The_Kapn
11-28-2011, 02:31 PM
You don't list it, but PIG CANDY!!!!!!!!!! :redface:

All of the rest is easy compared to PIG CANDY for me.
Overcooked, undercooked, sticky, dry--you name it and I have farked it up :redface:

Oh Well.

TIM

Myrdhyn
11-28-2011, 02:36 PM
I voted beef ribs. They're one of my favorites, and they come out AMAZING....when they come out..... Sadly I manage to screw them up a higher percentage of the time than anything else on the list. My dad and I even managed to set a rack of them on fire one time >.>

Ron_L
11-28-2011, 02:38 PM
I was thinking about this the other day after I screwed up yet another fatty. Yup - thats right, a fatty. I can cook chicken, ribs, brisket, burgers, sausage links, steak, pork butts, etc. But the damn fatty is like BBQ Kryptonite for me.

So what's yours?

Forget about all the stuffing and enrobing and go back to the pure, simple, basic, naked fatty. Buy a sausage log, unwrap it, rub it if you like, and then just cook it to 165 internal.

Once you've mastered that then you can graduate to stuffing and enrobing :)

BTW, at home I am pretty comfortable with the stuff in the poll, but at competitions my kryptonite is chicken.

I hate chicken.

aquablue22
11-28-2011, 02:39 PM
I voted brisket, I think it's because I just not a fan of brisket is why I struggle with it!

Divemaster
11-28-2011, 02:40 PM
Forget about all the stuffing and enrobing and go back to the pure, simple, basic, naked fatty. Buy a sausage log, unwrap it, rub it if you like, and then just cook it to 165 internal.

Once you've mastered that them you can graduate to stuffing and enrobing :)

BTW, at home I am pretty comfortable with the stuff in the poll, but at competitions my kryptonite is chicken.

I hate chicken.

Like Ron, I can cook every thing on list at home.... At a comp, I too hate chicken.

milehigh
11-28-2011, 02:48 PM
No Kryptonite here
I am just not a picky eater :thumb:
Seem to garf down everything i cook.:becky:

Paul

Q-Dat
11-28-2011, 02:58 PM
Used to be Brisket, but I've gotten a pretty good handle on it in the last year. I'm a little inconsistent on ribs but alot of that has to do with finding good ribs to start with.

BigBobBQ
11-28-2011, 03:03 PM
Mine is brisket I need to keep practicing so eventually I will get it right.

Jaskew82
11-28-2011, 03:07 PM

Once you've mastered that then you can graduate to stuffing and enrobing :)

I hate chicken.

I did exactly that recently and I rolled it too thin around the stuffing. I even did the ziplock bag trick.

I think I need to go back Italian hot sausage. I preferred that last time I did it. It just requires a different type of rub (if any).

Ron_L
11-28-2011, 03:17 PM
I did exactly that recently and I rolled it too thin around the stuffing. I even did the ziplock bag trick.

That's why my suggestion was to skip the stuffing :-D No rolling required.

BTW, if you do want to stuff, try the gallon zip loc bag trick. Take a 1 lb. sausage log and put it into a gallon zip loc and seal the bag. Then use your hands to spread the sausage evenly until it fills the bag on all sides and corners. Then open the zipper and cut the bag along the side seams and peel the top layer of bag away from the sausage. Then put your stuffing on the sausage rectangle and use the bottom layer of bag as an aid in rolling.

btcg
11-28-2011, 04:19 PM
Forgetting to buy & cook the wife salmon. She's been on my arse for a while now for that. Tomorrow, I promise!

OutlawSwine
11-28-2011, 04:27 PM
Just like Lake Dogs and RonL, I farkin hate the chicken skin. Stupid chicken skin.....Why must you taunt me??!!!!

mbshop
11-28-2011, 04:29 PM
probably everything. always need improvement. always.

pinkelephant
11-28-2011, 04:39 PM
Brisket is easy. I assume people are picking it because they dont have a UDS or WSM. I've only cooked 2, but they were awesome.

I said seafood. I hate Avacado and seafood, so if I cook it, I wont know if it's right. I do like fillets (cod, catfish, tilapia).

If I like it, I can cook it.
If I don't, I won't.

Also, chicken was the first thing I learned to smoke. I consider it the easiest.

EDIT: OK, I never did a whole hog...

pinkelephant
11-28-2011, 04:42 PM
Smoking 30+ years and every time I light up, I learn something.

bluetang
11-28-2011, 04:44 PM
Beef ribs. I can fark 'em up good. I will get it though, sooner or later.

buccaneer
11-28-2011, 04:46 PM
Well, I saw the thread poll title and my heart sank.
I was about to be humiliated.
How would I gain acceptance and get any respect after revealing my kryptonite?
Fabulous news!
It isn't on the list!:dancer::dancer::dancer:

My awful shameful secret is safe for a while longer!

Chicken is the hardest for me, not the skin but getting it off just early enough to be like the most delicious juicy chicken, like the Chinese and S.E Asians do.
All the chicken I get here has the dickens cooked out of it.
Dunno if that counts.
"Fatties" are just not eaten here, or desired.
Also, the word has an entiiiiiiiirly different meaning.:shocked:

42BBQ
11-28-2011, 06:24 PM
Thighs. I Fark up the skin no matter how I trim them or at what temp

mtbchip
11-28-2011, 07:37 PM
After 7+ years on the K7, now finally can say I have it ALL down! How about some Paella?

Bigdog
11-28-2011, 07:54 PM
Gotta be Spam. Can't make that crap taste good for sure.:tsk: Go figure.:heh:

abangs
11-28-2011, 08:51 PM
Burnt ends...........little farkers.....

bigzthamoose
11-28-2011, 09:38 PM
freakin chicken. I cooked my first chicken in a comp, skin rubbery, just thrown on the smoker left for dead. Got a 17th outta 65 teams. Next year, was invited to help the same team, had the skin down perfect, best chicken ive ever cooked. 43rd outta 65. what the hell..... i havent cooked it since bc i was so bitter. :tsk:

jamesmb
11-29-2011, 12:44 AM
Claret - gets me every time. After a few I think I can cook!

TIMMAY
11-29-2011, 02:41 AM

I have to pencil myself into that category. Sure I have made tasty food, but it can always be better!

Pappy
11-29-2011, 06:10 AM
What, No Turkey?

Harbormaster
11-29-2011, 06:47 AM
Well, seeing as my name is Clark, my kryptonite is.....kryptonite. DUH!

Kernscookin
11-29-2011, 09:54 AM
Everything Lately. Don't know why. Cooked some St Louis ribs the other day and the dang ribs popped out of the meat. Stangest thing I've ever had happen. They looked like a McRib. Lately nothing works out, but I'm learning.

Divemaster
11-29-2011, 10:41 AM
Everything Lately. Don't know why. Cooked some St Louis ribs the other day and the dang ribs popped out of the meat. Stangest thing I've ever had happen. They looked like a McRib. Lately nothing works out, but I'm learning.

Phil (BBQChef33) came up with a great come back for that!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18055&highlight=mcrib

ODU Dad
11-29-2011, 05:46 PM
I like what I cook, but if you ask where I think I can make less than the best I would have to say chicken. The white meat can be dry if overdone, rubbery if underdone and sooty if you allow the thighs to drip fat and then it catches fire. Also the skin can go from burnt to great to tough to gushy. Consistently great chicken is not easy!

expatpig
11-29-2011, 05:57 PM
Dough, any kind of dough..pizza, bread, pie, you name it we don't get along.

Pitmaster T
11-29-2011, 06:34 PM
After February 19, 2011 it became Victoria Justice.