PDA

View Full Version : HELP inside of pit flaking

gators120779
11-27-2011, 04:33 PM
help, the inside of pit flaking, need help on what it is and how to prevent it.i wire brush it and it keeps coming back

Dr_KY
11-27-2011, 04:35 PM
Give it a good burn out, scrub and re season.

colonel00
11-27-2011, 04:37 PM
Pit is defective. Send it here for proper mothballing and disposal. Otherwise, follow advice above. It appears to just be a collection of excess "seasoning"

caseydog
11-27-2011, 04:43 PM
That flaky buildup is normal on every smoker. I just knock the excess off from time to time so it doesn't fall on my food, and leave the rest.

CD

gators120779
11-27-2011, 04:44 PM
i just seasoned it, it seems to get worse the more i clean and season it.

smokingj
11-27-2011, 04:54 PM
How are you cleaning it? If your using some type of 'degreaser' and not getting it completely rinsed off that 'may' be causing it.

gators120779
11-27-2011, 04:59 PM
pressure washer and wire brush

caseydog
11-27-2011, 05:00 PM
That stuff that is flaking is a mixture of fat and soot. There is no way to avoid those things from accumulating on the inside of a smoker. If you are coating the inside of your smoker with a fat to season it, you are merely contributing to the layer of stuff that eventually gets hard, and begins to flake.

I've never "seasoned" any of my cookers. It happens all by itself with the first few cooks. When the layer of fat and soot starts to flake, I just knock the loose stuff off with a wad of aluminum foil.

No matter what you try, that layer is going to come back, and eventually flake. Don't fight it, just manage it.

CD

BBQchef33
11-27-2011, 05:21 PM
^^^^^^^^
exactly! its gonna be there now, later, tomorrow..... when its loose or too heavy, hit it with a wirebrush and just cook.. its on all my pits too.

Phubar
11-28-2011, 04:48 AM
What CaseyDog said...from time to time I have to scrape the inside of the UDS lids with aluminium Phoil.
Make sure to clean those Phlakes that are hanging above your meat...otherwise you'll get black spots on your Phoods.

The_Kapn
11-28-2011, 05:24 AM
Agree with all said above.

Another thought:
Do you close the exhaust valve to control temps?
Is your fire a small, hot, clean burning fire?

Choking the exhaust or a smouldering fire can cause an increase in GUNKY deposits.

FWIW

TIM

expatpig
11-28-2011, 10:04 AM
What you have is probably creosote, a common side effect of low temp burning. It's the same stuff that causes chimney fires. Just scrape it off or get a really hot fire going and it will turn into ash.

Terry The Toad
11-28-2011, 10:28 AM
I am not saying I disagree with all of the above, but I just cleaned my smoker over the weekend, and the build-up in my smoker does NOT flake like that. The stuff that builds up in my smoker is more granular... kind of like sand or salt.

I had that flaky stuff come off when the smoker was fairly new, but not since it was seasoned and used a bit.

Phrasty
11-28-2011, 10:56 AM
I say get a paint scraper and scrape it ALL off! Then take a natural degreaser like Simple Green and spray down your pit and wash out properly. You need to get down to metal again. I think that's definitely a tell tale of your seasoning process. I read a lot of people seasoning with pork fat and all these things. I think the best thing to season with is a thin oil that has a high smoke temp. The thinner the oil the better. Give it a light coat and build a good smokey fire and just let the smoke coat the smoker.

As stated that looks like you've been using a heavy oil to season your pit so it's grabbing hold of more and more soot. Keep your oil light and I don't know how often you season but you really only need to do it if you're removing the old stuff or you have washed out the pit and introduced water. For me the "season" on the pit is just to prevent rust. My friends always tell me they can tell food that comes off of my pit but I'm still fairly skeptical as to how much the seasoning process adds to the flavor of the food.

I've never had that problem... Just saying. Good luck. I can see that problem being annoying. :thumb:

Cheers

JD McGee
11-28-2011, 11:05 AM
I get it on my bullets and gasser too...I just knock it off with some balled up tin foil or wire brush and keep on smokin'...:thumb:

Jaskew82
11-28-2011, 11:52 AM
That stuff that is flaking is a mixture of fat and soot. There is no way to avoid those things from accumulating on the inside of a smoker. If you are coating the inside of your smoker with a fat to season it, you are merely contributing to the layer of stuff that eventually gets hard, and begins to flake.

I've never "seasoned" any of my cookers. It happens all by itself with the first few cooks. When the layer of fat and soot starts to flake, I just knock the loose stuff off with a wad of aluminum foil.

No matter what you try, that layer is going to come back, and eventually flake. Don't fight it, just manage it.

CD

^^^^ What he said.:clap2: