PDA

View Full Version : Winter Smoking

tish
11-26-2011, 11:25 PM
As the weather gets colder, other than not wanting to freeze your butt off, is there any reason why you couldn't continue smoking through the winter?

Al Czervik
11-26-2011, 11:32 PM
I can't think of one... Unless maybe you don't have a cover over your equipment and have an issue getting rained or snowed on. My gear is under a big permanent awning off my kitchen so I'm totally good to go.

JMSetzler
11-26-2011, 11:33 PM
Shouldn't be. It may take a little more fuel to finish a long cook but it's doable. Talk to PWA here... he's smoking stuff in sub zero weather up in Alaska...

tish
11-26-2011, 11:37 PM
I've got no covering over my patio, so I'd definitely be getting rained or snowed on. But in my family, we've been known to grill in the middle of January during a snowstorm, so I don't think it would make any difference to me, if it didn't make any difference to the cook. :rain:

pwa
11-26-2011, 11:39 PM
Nope no reason to stop smoking just because its getting cold out. I smoked at -38F on a UDS (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120525&highlight=pwa). All you going to do is use more fuel, I would recommend wrapping the smoker with some insulation or blankets ect. When I smoked at -38F I didn't wrap just to prove you can smoke at any temp, with no additional equip.

pwa

tish
11-26-2011, 11:45 PM
Wow... 38 below??? That's cold! Is it safe to wrap blankets around the smoker, though? I'd be afraid they'd melt or catch fire or something. :confused:

pwa
11-26-2011, 11:51 PM
I wrap heavy wool blankets around mine all the time, never had a problem. You can also use water heater insulation and I've heard good things about Reflectix( can get at HD, Lowes ect) but never used it.

pwa

Phrasty
I've got no covering over my patio, so I'd definitely be getting rained or snowed on. But in my family, we've been known to grill in the middle of January during a snowstorm, so I don't think it would make any difference to me, if it didn't make any difference to the cook. :rain:

What's snow.... :crazy: You mean it get's colder that 60˚ there??? :tsk::tsk:
That must suck...:becky::drama:

Ole Man Dan
This is one of the best reasons to build or buy a shelter to allow you to smoke in rain and snow. I've got one in the planning stages for this Winter.
A wind break will make it much more pleasant to smoke.

JMSetzler
Nope no reason to stop smoking just because its getting cold out. I smoked at -38F on a UDS (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120525&highlight=pwa). All you going to do is use more fuel, I would recommend wrapping the smoker with some insulation or blankets ect. When I smoked at -38F I didn't wrap just to prove you can smoke at any temp, with no additional equip.

pwa

How long of a cook can you pull off on the drum at those temps without refueling?

tish
11-26-2011, 11:54 PM

That's it... rub it in! lol What I should do is come and spend the winter with you guys! :wink:

pwa
11-26-2011, 11:58 PM

60F that's like a high in spring and fall :becky:

How long of a cook can you pull off on the drum at those temps without refueling?

I got a pretty big fire basket but would guess 10 ish hrs. Used about 1/4 on that smoke(about 4hrs)

pwa

Captain P.J.
11-27-2011, 12:41 AM
Nope. Keep on smokin baby!!

Brian in Maine
11-27-2011, 06:31 AM
Nothing like the smell of BBQ in freezing air at midnight in the winter.

LMAJ
11-27-2011, 07:38 AM
No reason to not cook all year round - go for it!!

Skidder
11-27-2011, 07:52 AM
I love winter smoking just don't like winter
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q64/Skidder1/shanks003.jpg

Neil
11-27-2011, 07:58 AM
I shovel out my grill/smoker area before I shovel the driveway! :biggrin:

aquablue22
11-27-2011, 08:02 AM
I don't see any reason not to, I do :)

Ron_L
11-27-2011, 08:10 AM

I hate you...

:becky:

Tish, I cook all winter whether it's grilling or smoking. One of our long standing traditions is a turkey in the Weber Kettle on New Year's Day!

Besides the obvious weather issues like rain or snow, wind is the biggest enemy of smokers, especially if they aren't insulated. If you can provide a wind block that's can help a lot. It can be as simple as a piece of plywood set up strategically based on wind direction. Welding blankets or a hot water heater blanket also help, but you do have to be careful to keep them away from the fire just in case.

Cliff H.
11-27-2011, 08:14 AM
I prefer to cook in the winter. In the summer, all I have to do is light the coals and flies start buzzing. Not to mention all the mosquitoes that get in the house with all the in and out going on.

kwag
11-27-2011, 08:35 AM
I am contemplating putting some foam board insulation inside my smoker for the winter. Has anybody done this, will it work ok?

LuvDbbq
11-27-2011, 08:46 AM
Go for it! A fella has gotta eat.

Ron_L
11-27-2011, 08:52 AM
I am contemplating putting some foam board insulation inside my smoker for the winter. Has anybody done this, will it work ok?

If you like the smell of foam insulation melting all over you food :-D

When you say inside, do you mean between layers of metal like an FEC-100 or Backwoods? They use insulation that is rated to several hundred degrees (or higher) so it doesn't burn.

Schraufy
11-27-2011, 09:01 AM
I smoke all winter long. Nothing like a cold night, a hot fire and the smell of smoke and spices in the air.

Skidder
11-27-2011, 09:16 AM
I'm with you on that one plus no cooler needed for the beer.

Capozzoli
11-27-2011, 09:21 AM
If it is so cold that you are not hitting hot smoke temps, then cold smoke.

Schraufy
11-27-2011, 09:24 AM
I'm with you on that one plus no cooler needed for the beer.

Thats right!

Gore
11-27-2011, 09:32 AM
Every year it seems that we lose our power for a 3-4 day stretch due to some snowstorm. We depend on the BBQ for meals! With the Primo, I can still go 20+ hours without refueling and the temp stays steady as a rock. So when the yard looks like this,

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/gvideen/snowpizza/IMG_4824.jpg

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/gvideen/IMG_4.jpg

the first thing I do is shovel a path the the Primo. We use it for everything. I think these are from last year's snowstorm:

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/gvideen/snowpizza/IMG_4825.jpg

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/gvideen/snowpizza/IMG_4834.jpg

JD McGee
11-27-2011, 09:58 AM
We smoke all winter long up here. Our winters are typically milder than most of the northern states with temps in the 40's occassionally dipping down below freezing. I use my BGE most of the time...it doesn't care what the weather is doing! I have also cooked on my WSM's in the winter too with very few problems.

Dr_KY
11-27-2011, 10:13 AM
Another one for wet weather and winter smokeing. :)

I am concerned about cooking on my creamic in the cold without any shelter though.

smokingj
11-27-2011, 10:30 AM
Does anyone remember the insulation blankets that Brinkmann used to sell for the ECB's back in the early/mid '90's? Never found out why they stopped making them. I was considering having a welders blankets or something similar sewn to wrap the uds in.

Midnight Smoke
11-27-2011, 10:41 AM
I BBQ year round, but since our Winters can be a freezing 70 during the day and dropping to a bone chilling 40 at night, I do the best I can. :twisted:

smokingj
11-27-2011, 10:44 AM
I BBQ year round, but since our Winters can be a freezing 70 during the day and dropping to a bone chilling 40 at night, I do the best I can. :twisted:

pm your address and I'll send ya a parka :laugh::laugh:

BigBobBQ
11-27-2011, 10:46 AM
I smoke all year around, thats what I love about being born and raised down here in Florida I have only seen snow here once in my life and it wasn't even cold that day. But even our coldest days don't compare to you all up north. I could never live up there!!!!

Pyle's BBQ
11-27-2011, 01:48 PM
I think this applies to everyone here.

Cold is a relative thing ya know....
At 65 degrees, Arizonans turn on the heat. People in Minnesota plant gardens.
At 60, Californians shiver uncontrollably. People in Minnesota sunbathe.
At 50, Italian & English cars won't start. People in Minnesota drive with the windows down..
At 40, Georgians don coats, thermal underwear, gloves, wool hats. People in Minnesota throw on a flannel shirt.
At 35, New York landlords finally turn up the heat. People in Minnesota have the last cookout before it gets cold.
At 20, People in Miami all die. Minnesotans close their windows.
At 0, Californians fly away to Mexico . People in Minnesota get out their winter coats.
At 10 below zero, Hollywood disintegrates. The Girl Scouts in Minnesota are selling cookies door to door.
At 20 below, Washington DC runs out of hot air. (Ya think? Nah.). People in Minnesota let their dogs sleep indoors.
At 30 below, Santa Claus abandons the North Pole. Minnesotans get upset because they can't start the snowmobile.
At 40 below, ALL atomic motion stops. People in Minnesota start saying..."Cold enough for ya, eh?"
At 50 below, hell freezes over. Minnesota public schools will open 2 hours late.

See the whole post in woodpile.

caseydog
11-27-2011, 02:13 PM
I use my WSM in the garage when the weather is bad. The garage has a concrete floor, and I leave the door open, so there is a steel garage door above the smoker.

It is still cold, even in the garage, but my smoker stays out of the rain.

CD

kwag
11-27-2011, 03:12 PM
I was thinking of using like a celotex insulation board, but didn't know about using it inside my offset smoker. I wouldn't think the temps would get high enough to bother it?

42BBQ
11-27-2011, 03:36 PM
I love winter cooking! I love 0 dark thirty in January lighting up a chimney for an all day smoke. Beer stays cold in the snow too :)

maxwell7
11-27-2011, 06:11 PM
When it's cold i put my big 50's cast-iron kettle on one side , light it up with the meat , light up the fire-pit , and sit between with an Irish coffee , or a Kahlua and cream coffee. Don my capote , and dream of mountain men , roughing it.:becky:

nmayeux
11-28-2011, 10:23 AM
Winter is our favorite time for camping and cooking. We are looking into building one of those barrel stove kits so we can set the stove on one side of the cooking area, and the smoker on the other, with us in between. I also love the lingering smell of pork laced smoke on a cold morning...

Myrdhyn
11-28-2011, 11:07 AM
I actually PREFER to grill and smoke in the fall/winter over summer. To me it's more enjoyable to be standing near/over a fire when it's not >100*F outside.

The exception to the rule is when i'm doing it for parties in the summer, but the wife and I definitely enjoy alot more grilled/smoked food for just the two of us when it's not summer.

nexpress
11-28-2011, 11:27 AM
I do the same thing a CD does with his WSM.

tish
11-28-2011, 12:51 PM
I actually PREFER to grill and smoke in the fall/winter over summer. To me it's more enjoyable to be standing near/over a fire when it's not >100*F outside.

The exception to the rule is when i'm doing it for parties in the summer, but the wife and I definitely enjoy alot more grilled/smoked food for just the two of us when it's not summer.

I'm actually inclined to agree with you. Fall/winter/spring smoking would be so much easier for me. :nod:

Divemaster
11-28-2011, 02:10 PM
This isn't all that uncommon to find when I want to do a cook in the winter...

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd35/Divemaster_album/Divemaster_Food/General%20Cooks/Beef%20Ribs/2010-12-26004.jpg

Myrdhyn
11-28-2011, 02:29 PM
I'm actually inclined to agree with you. Fall/winter/spring smoking would be so much easier for me. :nod:

I also tend to brew more beer in the fall/winter/spring than in the summer. Two reasons: 1) I don't have to hover near 12+ gallons of boiling liquid in 100+ degree weather 2) If it's the winter I can be pretty lazy about fermentation temp control b/c we dont' use the heater much in the house :P

Jaskew82
11-28-2011, 03:39 PM
I got my WSM for x-mas and smoked straight through the winter WITH water in the pan! :doh: :crazy:

No reason it can't be done.

WvSmoke
11-28-2011, 03:58 PM
Add me to the all weather smoking team. I don't give a crap what the weather is doing. When ya want ribs, ya want ribs.

khs282
11-28-2011, 04:06 PM
I think this applies to everyone here.

Cold is a relative thing ya know....
At 65 degrees, Arizonans turn on the heat. People in Minnesota plant gardens.
At 60, Californians shiver uncontrollably. People in Minnesota sunbathe.
At 50, Italian & English cars won't start. People in Minnesota drive with the windows down..
At 40, Georgians don coats, thermal underwear, gloves, wool hats. People in Minnesota throw on a flannel shirt.
At 35, New York landlords finally turn up the heat. People in Minnesota have the last cookout before it gets cold.
At 20, People in Miami all die. Minnesotans close their windows.
At 0, Californians fly away to Mexico . People in Minnesota get out their winter coats.
At 10 below zero, Hollywood disintegrates. The Girl Scouts in Minnesota are selling cookies door to door.
At 20 below, Washington DC runs out of hot air. (Ya think? Nah.). People in Minnesota let their dogs sleep indoors.
At 30 below, Santa Claus abandons the North Pole. Minnesotans get upset because they can't start the snowmobile.
At 40 below, ALL atomic motion stops. People in Minnesota start saying..."Cold enough for ya, eh?"
At 50 below, hell freezes over. Minnesota public schools will open 2 hours late.

See the whole post in woodpile.

I am in Minnesota. This is very true. Love it!:laugh:

btcg
11-28-2011, 04:11 PM
I can't think of one... Unless maybe you don't have a cover over your equipment and have an issue getting rained or snowed on. My gear is under a big permanent awning off my kitchen so I'm totally good to go.

Ya know... you have a very odd head Al. Almost looks like some kind of food. :)

bbqfred
11-28-2011, 04:28 PM
I have a small shed that I keep my bbq stuff in when not in use. Could I run the smoker if I leave the doors open? My only concern is if the smoke has enough place to exhaust out of the shed. If so, that's going to be a lot more convenient than trying to move the 3 pieces of the WSM out for every use.

viper1
11-28-2011, 07:53 PM
As long as it away from everything. If you get a grease fire or some thing you could have big problems. I smoked and grilled for over 40 years year round. People will go by and point but you can do it.
These days I bought a Bradley Electric. I set it up in one of my unattached garages. Still working on it but it s usable. It's vented thru the ceiling with a chimney. Controlled By a PID. I also use a remote maverick to watch smoker temps and meat internal temps. Pretty safe set up but not 100 percent. I am removing the smoke c=generator and installing on a lower shelf. It will keep the burning wood from the grease and improve safety. The electric element is shielded to prevent grease from getting on it. Now there is some will say its still not safe. But with me close by and knowing cabinet tenp if a flare up could start I would have time to do some thing. I always set my alarms just above max heat.
Well here is a pic so far.

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee470/viper1233/2011-11-01_16-28-31_287.jpg

So more freezing the old body a sin younger days. Or fighting to hold temps in cold or hot weather. Also humidity problems seem to be no existent. Plus it's heated. Also good insurance and my insurance lady loves my Smoked Meat.

I have a small shed that I keep my bbq stuff in when not in use. Could I run the smoker if I leave the doors open? My only concern is if the smoke has enough place to exhaust out of the shed. If so, that's going to be a lot more convenient than trying to move the 3 pieces of the WSM out for every use.

jason p
11-28-2011, 09:51 PM
My grill and smoker get used all winter long, even though its cold and snow its nice to get outside and the smell is outstanding

Durzil
11-28-2011, 10:07 PM
Living in the NW we get loads more rain than snow. So I put a chimney that blocks rain but still allows smoke out on my UDS and smoke year round.

Sammy_Shuford
11-28-2011, 10:49 PM
Viper1 beat me to it. In Fact, we have very same gear in my garage.

AMoore
11-29-2011, 08:51 AM
Wow... 38 below??? That's cold! Is it safe to wrap blankets around the smoker, though? I'd be afraid they'd melt or catch fire or something. :confused:

I learned how to smoke while I lived in Alaska. The temps sometimes reached -40 or more but to beat those temps, I had a thermal blanket around my BGE that a friend loaned me. It worked great.

Since moving to Iowa, I have found that the biggest factor is wind in the mid-west. So, now I have a 3/4 inch plywood barrier to keep the wind off of my smoker. Wind and cold rain has been my 2 biggest nemisis when it comes to cooking. I hope this help and good luck with your winter smoke.

jeffjenkins1
12-03-2011, 09:01 PM
If we get over 6" of snow... I'm smoking something, probably meat!

I had the drum out last year in 15 degree weather, no problamo!

I usually use the drum because I can dump 15 pounds of kingford in it and smoke for 10 hours without any problems.

Jeff

tish
12-03-2011, 09:12 PM
Well, looks like there shouldn't be any reason why I shouldn't just try practicing straight through the winter. Got my lump today, got my cherry chunks all set to go, fatty in the freezer. Just need some good bacon to wrap it with, and I'm good to go. Gotta work a long one at the hospital tomorrow, but if the weather holds, Monday or Tuesday I'll be takin' off on the maiden voyage!! Thanks everybody!! :-D

Gore
12-03-2011, 10:31 PM
tish, I see you're in York. It also depends on your smoker. I can't remember what you're using. If you have a cheap offset, you will have trouble keeping temp in the colder weather. That is why I got a ceramic. Temps now during the day aren't too bad.

Al Czervik
12-03-2011, 10:40 PM
Ya know... you have a very odd head Al. Almost looks like some kind of food. :)

You may be confusing me with someone else... I have been told in the past I bear a striking resemblance to Eggplantman, but I haven't seen him around these parts for a while... :becky:

tish
12-03-2011, 10:46 PM
tish, I see you're in York. It also depends on your smoker. I can't remember what you're using. If you have a cheap offset, you will have trouble keeping temp in the colder weather. That is why I got a ceramic. Temps now during the day aren't too bad.

Not to worry, Gore. Santa came early to my house. He dropped by, left me a Bubba Keg, showed me his Brethren tattoo, and left. It's supposed to be double walled with insulation in between? I think I'm good to go. I've got a deflector coming in a couple weeks or so, but Santa said I could use a broiler pan or something to diffuse the heat until then. Should be fine. :wink:

FromthePitBBQ
12-04-2011, 12:13 AM
Coming into the balmy winter months in Michigan ... I have been practicing smoking on my UDS. It's easier and more efficient than firing up the Hog-A-Nator and works great to practice on.

In the last 2 days I have cooked (3) 8# butts each day. I have kept the temp around 270* and cooked until the IT reached 194* both times taking 7.5 hours. I foiled them as soon as they reached my target IT of 194* and placed them in a cooler for 3 hours. All 6 were great and very consistent in texture, color, and flavor.

I cooked with 5 fist sized chunks of hickory mixed into the top of my Royal Oak lump charcoal. The basket in 17" diameter and 12" tall - holds about 20# of charcoal. Even with the temp about 25* it appears that I used about 4-5# of coal on each cook.

I say cook all winter and enjoy some good Q!!!!

tortaboy
12-04-2011, 12:25 AM
Not to worry, Gore. Santa came early to my house. He dropped by, left me a Bubba Keg, showed me his Brethren tattoo, and left. It's supposed to be double walled with insulation in between? I think I'm good to go. I've got a deflector coming in a couple weeks or so, but Santa said I could use a broiler pan or something to diffuse the heat until then. Should be fine. :wink:

Nice SCORE Tish....a BK right out of the chute! Congrats.

mtbchip
12-04-2011, 01:27 AM
Winter smoking? Can't relate in San Diego! Enjoy football sunday folks!

Ribbin' Randy
12-04-2011, 08:11 AM
The only time I had a problem was a superbowl smoke I was trying on an electric ECB. Was about 10 degrees out side and it just could'nt keep up. Since I got my WSB, I've never had a problem.

Gore
12-04-2011, 09:32 AM

Wow, you are all set to go then! Once that deflector arrives, you can take your oven out of your kitchen and give it to Goodwill if you like, and put in another fridge to store meat. :becky:

Sounds like quite a haul for Christmas. I'm trying to do a bit of research into some old notions and was wondering if you could answer me, were you "naughty" or were you "nice" this last year? ... for scientific purposes of course. :becky:

btcg
12-04-2011, 09:48 AM
As the weather gets colder, other than not wanting to freeze your butt off, is there any reason why you couldn't continue smoking through the winter?

You're in York, I'm in gaithersburg, so you're not far from me.

I cook all year long. No reason you can't either.

You are better off with an insulated smoker. I have a BWS, and was told by the owner of that company that people have used their cookers in 40 degree below zero weather with great results.

baldbill
12-04-2011, 09:56 AM
unless it is a nuclear winter...no...smoke on:-D