PDA

View Full Version : What comes after butter?

tortaboy
11-26-2011, 08:54 PM
I've got 4 butts and a brisket winding down. Everything in foil. One of the butts is at 197 internal and is definitely probing like butter. The others still need to catch up.

What happens to a foiled butt that is left too long on the smoker? Does it turn into mush?

I'd rather hear about it then pay to learn.:doh:

MilitantSquatter
11-26-2011, 08:57 PM
What happens to a foiled butt that is left too long on the smoker? Does it turn into mush?

Yes... when it's done, take it off, unless you like texture of cat food.

tortaboy
11-26-2011, 09:03 PM
I bought some of those gray hard plastic tubs used for bussing dishes....best money I ever spent! Before this I used to transport my meat on cookie sheets, and pray I didn't get any drippings on the family room carpet on the way to the kitchen.

I took off the foiled butt that was like buttah and dropped it from about a foot into the tub. I could hear it go, "Splat".

I'm going to keep it in the foil for an hour or so, but I'm pretty sure it will be "Pulled" when I unwrap it. :-D

Boshizzle
11-26-2011, 09:09 PM
Mush comes after butter. Let it cool down uncovered for a while.

smokingj
11-26-2011, 09:10 PM
Not to get into a debate because very few do what I do. I wrap in butcher paper instead of foil. Foil seals the meat to much and it 'boils' it IMO. Butcher paper will allow it to 'breathe' some preventing that cat food/mushiness.
Now Let me go get my football helmet before the bashing starts.

tortaboy
11-26-2011, 09:17 PM
Mush comes after butter. Let it cool down uncovered for a while.

Not sure I understand why the recommendation to let it cool down uncovered. Thousands of posts suggesting pulling once it probes like butter, then coolering it to rest (Usually recommended when the product is cooked completely before meal time).

Why would I ruin the butt leaving it in foil to cool?

I have never experienced mush yet...but I would think that comes only from too much time on the heat in the foil???

Boshizzle
11-26-2011, 09:19 PM
I hear you, bro.

If it's done, meaning that it probes like butter and you can twist the bone, if you don't cool it down it will continue to cook (especially if put in a cooler) and very well may get mushy.

There are a lot of dynamics at play here. A hot and fast butt can withstand a cooler better than a low and slow but, IMO. So, cooking temp, internal temp, and time on the cooker all come into play here.

I cook hot and fast. When a butt I am cooking probes like butter, I pull it and rest it for about an hour in a blanket or a cooler. But, I do so knowing that the butt will continue to cook. I have found that a HnF butt needs a little more time to rest than a low and slow butt. Low and slow, I don't rest in a cooler or a blanket without a cool down period first.

gtr
Not to get into a debate because very few do what I do. I wrap in butcher paper instead of foil. Foil seals the meat to much and it 'boils' it IMO. Butcher paper will allow it to 'breathe' some preventing that cat food/mushiness.

This guy likes butcher paper too:

Robert Rodriguez's 10-Minute Cooking School: Texas BBQ - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGOQ_npS4pI)

I haven't tried it, but seems to make sense.

tortaboy

I doubt you'll get bashed. Lotsa recommendations to use butcher paper. I gotta get some to test it out.

Ole Man Dan
11-27-2011, 12:03 AM
Leave it wrapped too long and it gets soft and looses texture.