PDA

View Full Version : What kind of cook should I expect from using cheap charcoal?

ClintHTX
11-26-2011, 08:19 PM
Someone pawned off some cheap charcoal they bought it 2 bags for 7 bucks lol. So should I use it or use my kings ford blue? Plan on trying it out with a fatty. If its worth it.

Boshizzle
11-26-2011, 08:33 PM
A fatty would be a good thing to try it with. Go for it. If it doesn't work out it should be easy enough to switch to what you are used to using.

Midnight Smoke
11-26-2011, 08:38 PM
What brand is it?

tamadrummer
11-26-2011, 09:48 PM
If it is briqs you shouldn't expect any less of a cook than with K blue. It may burn a bit faster or have a little different flavor if you start cooking over it before it is fully lit but as far as using cheapo briqs IMHO is just as good as using the most expensive charcoal with the exception being the amount of time you get with it maintaining its heat.

buccaneer
11-26-2011, 09:59 PM
There is some gear from Indonesia that just stinks to high heaven, that I do know.

JazzyBadger
11-26-2011, 11:19 PM
Yep, most of the cheapo stuff is just going to produce a LOT more ash because of binders, and you'll get less burn time from the briqs because of the binders, as well.

But as long as you're burning it off right, fully lit coals only being used for the cook, I'd imagine there won't be any crazy flavors going.

The big thing though, everyone's taste buds are different. Snow flakes don't have chit on taste buds man.

Ole Man Dan
11-27-2011, 12:00 AM
Someone pawned off some cheap charcoal they bought it 2 bags for 7 bucks lol. So should I use it or use my kings ford blue? Plan on trying it out with a fatty. If its worth it.

You could use it in your Chimney as a fire starter then pour it over good charcoal. (Even Cowboy is useful for fire starting)