PDA

View Full Version : Bge/primo/bsk

tortaboy
11-26-2011, 05:55 PM
I like cooking on my offset, but I always feel like I'm being wasteful if I'm not que'ing at least 20 pounds of meat.:becky:

Also, I see the pizza pic's and you've got me drooling.

I've got Kamado fever and have not decided which type I'm going to get yet...they all have their advantages.

My question is, have you, or have you ever met anyone that knows how to properly cook but just didn't like the Kamado for reasons other than their size being too small? Is there such a thing as Kamado buyers remorse?

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
11-26-2011, 06:02 PM
No remorse here. But in addition to the grill space, they are heavy and to move if you have to change levels. But, I knew that going in.

The versitality and efficiency far outweigh the few disadvantages.

Dallas Dan
11-26-2011, 06:14 PM
No remorse here. I've been cooking on my offset for over 20 years. But after I got a BGE, I use it more than I use the offset. I like having the option of having both.

eddieh70301
11-26-2011, 06:44 PM
I have the first version of the BSK. It's about 2 yrs old and it gets used about 2 times a week. I used to smoke butts, brisket and chicken on it before I got my stumps. It's a very good cooker, well insulated and easy to move around. I now use it mainly for high heat cooks. Pizza turns out great as does burgers and steaks.
I bought the BSK as a cheaper alternative to the BGE and also bc it is made of steel. I have no regrets and would recommend it to anyone.

tortaboy
11-26-2011, 06:51 PM
I have the first version of the BSK. It's about 2 yrs old and it gets used about 2 times a week. I used to smoke butts, brisket and chicken on it before I got my stumps. It's a very good cooker, well insulated and easy to move around. I now use it mainly for high heat cooks. Pizza turns out great as does burgers and steaks.
I bought the BSK as a cheaper alternative to the BGE and also bc it is made of steel. I have no regrets and would recommend it to anyone.

Question for you.....

Why do you prefer your Stumps for low and slow? Is it because of size, or does the Stumps do a better job with low and slow?

Ron_L
11-26-2011, 07:07 PM
There is one major problem with the Big Green Egg that you should know about, Tortaboy...

They're addicting :-D

BBQ Bandit
11-26-2011, 07:18 PM
Yea... just ask Vinnie.

JD McGee
11-26-2011, 07:23 PM
I have a large BGE and a Primo Oval XL...both are great for pizza and bread. No remorse here!

tortaboy
11-26-2011, 07:25 PM
I have a large BGE and a Primo Oval XL...both are great for pizza and bread. No remorse here!

Only great for pizza and bread?

JD...do you like one better than the other?

MilitantSquatter
11-26-2011, 07:25 PM
Yea... just ask Vinnie.

Since you brought up my name... I'll chime in. :wink:

I liked my BGE's, but over time found they were not my preferred choice.. I liked the mediums better than the XL..I think they are great for versatility (grilling, smoking, baking, but for each of their capabilities there are better individual options out there if something is most important to you.. My biggest gripe was that the BGE's always seemed to generate the lighter smoke flavor (and I experimented multiple ways) due to the high efficiency of the burn...and for high heat grilling or high heat pizzas, you've got a gasket challenge and it's not the safest (especially in the XL).

That said, the BGE's are good options for many people.

tortaboy
11-26-2011, 07:32 PM
Since you brought up my name... I'll chime in. :wink:

I liked my BGE's, but over time found they were not my preferred choice.. I liked the mediums better than the XL..I think they are great for versatility (grilling, smoking, baking, but for each of their capabilities there are better individual options out there if something is most important to you.. My biggest gripe was that the BGE's always seemed to generate the ligher smoke flavor (and I used multiple ways) due to the high efficiency of the burn...and for high heat grilling or high heat pizzas, you've got a gasket challenge and it's not the safest (especially in the XL).

That said, the BGE's are good options for many people.

When you are talking about safety...are you talking flashbacks from not burping them?

I haven't read about gasket problems with the BSK. I wonder if they use a different style gasket?

MilitantSquatter
11-26-2011, 07:37 PM
When you are talking about safety...are you talking flashbacks from not burping them?

I haven't read about gasket problems with the BSK. I wonder if they use a different style gasket?

flashbacks are one thing that can be managed as you noted.. However, with the 24" XL, you need to be very careful tending over 24" with very high flames..another issue I sometimes had with the XL is that the bands and hinge set up would often get out of whack with the high heat, often making it difficult to have the dome properly on the base seated until it cooled down. I addressed this a few times w/ BGE tech dept.. They gave me some things to try that helped a bit, but they agreed that heat expansion in all the hinges & hardware could create variances that temporarily distort the positioning.

Again, BGE is great if used in moderation.. but I don't think it's the perfect animal for high heat cooking (excess of 550 deg). For grilling, you can easily accomplish the same on a Weber Kettle at a fraction of the cost. For smoking, I'd take a cabinet, stickburner or WSM and for pizza, a real pizza oven.

Ron_L
11-26-2011, 07:37 PM
The new Nomex gaskets from BGE aren't a problem. Not every one had problems with the old gaskets, either. I've done dozens of pizzas in my Eggs and the gaskets are fine.

MilitantSquatter
11-26-2011, 07:45 PM
The new Nomex gaskets from BGE aren't a problem. Not every one had problems with the old gaskets, either. I've done dozens of pizzas in my Eggs and the gaskets are fine.

I burned through two Nomex gaskets in about six weeks. For me and what I wanted to try to accomplish with the BGE for high heat pizzas (excess of 700 degrees) it was not ideal for me...

That's why I still say it's a good option for many that are not looking to cook at the extreme and it can turn out very good BBQ, steaks & pizza.

Toscadero
11-26-2011, 07:46 PM
I've had my Bubba Keg (early Big Steel Keg) for about 18 months. It cooks great. I've been thinking about getting a second keg, but haven't got around to it. Just built a UDS just for the hell of it. Only thing I've cooked on it so far were ribs. Too close to call between the keg and the UDS on ribs as of yet. Pulled pork on the keg is awesome. Did one of two Thanksgiving turkeys on the keg this year.

The kegs and kamados are very versatile. I stopped sold my gasser and used my weber for parts on the UDS because I was no longer using either one.

BBQ Bandit
11-26-2011, 07:46 PM

Yes, different gasket.
The gasket is a steel mesh rope attached to the lip of the lid... compresses and seals well.

Cloudsmoker
11-26-2011, 09:03 PM
No remorse here either. I like my offset better for traditional smoking. But if you've got room and $ for two, a ceramic makes a great addition.

Tuesday I used my Primo Kamada for a 3rd turkey, Thursday turkey in the Primo, Prime Rib in the offset, Friday used the offset for smoking and the Primo for grillng.

As a backup smoker and griller, I might stay away from the XL or Oval. But, all personal preference really.

tortaboy
11-26-2011, 09:13 PM
No remorse here either. I like my offset better for traditional smoking. But if you've got room and $ for two, a ceramic makes a great addition.

Tuesday I used my Primo Kamada for a 3rd turkey, Thursday turkey in the Primo, Prime Rib in the offset, Friday used the offset for smoking and the Primo for grillng.

As a backup smoker and griller, I might stay away from the XL or Oval. But, all personal preference really.

Which do you prefer for smoking your turkeys?

I don't understand the last comment...why are you suggesting to stay away from the ceramics as a backup griller?

eddieh70301
11-27-2011, 06:24 AM
Question for you.....

Why do you prefer your Stumps for low and slow? Is it because of size, or does the Stumps do a better job with low and slow?
The stumps does a better job for low and slow. It's easier to add more charcoal and wood. Dialing in the temps is a bit tricky. I did an all nighter and had the temps dialed in at 225. Had the lower vent open about 1/4 in. Went to bed and the wind picked up. My wireless temp gauge alarm went off and went out to check it. the temps had climbed 100 degrees.
Don't get me wrong, the BSK is a great cooker for low and slow. The stumps is just easier to maintain a stable temp.
One thing i forgot to add in my original reply is I chose the BSK over the BGE because i've heard alot of people say their BGE cracked from extreme temp changes. I don't have first hand experience just from reading posts on various sites. Didn't want to drop $1k on a BGE and it cracks. Plus the BSK is portable. Comes with a hitch attachment for your truck or SUV.

buccaneer
11-27-2011, 07:00 AM
Tortaboy, you know my feelings about the BSK.
:-D

drbbq
11-27-2011, 07:09 AM
Just FYI the BSK isn't made of ceramic so IMO it's a different animal. I'm sure it works well but it's just not a kamado.

eddieh70301
11-27-2011, 08:07 AM
Just FYI the BSK isn't made of ceramic so IMO it's a different animal. I'm sure it works well but it's just not a kamado.

The bsk is not ceramic and IMO it is more durable. If taken care of it will never rust or crack.
I've never cooked on a BGE so I can't compare the two.
There is a member here, braddog, who has or had a BGE and a BSK. He did a comparison of both. I think it was last year or earlier this year. Has good info.

drbbq
11-27-2011, 08:14 AM
More durable, yes. But the steel will never cook like ceramic.

eddieh70301
11-27-2011, 08:27 AM
Yep, i guess you are right. I've never cooked on ceramic so i have no idea what the difference would be.

buccaneer
11-27-2011, 08:53 AM
I am curious as to why you think this?
The ceramic does not offer a characteristic to the cooking aspect, just the laws of physics on heat dynamics.
The technological insulation of the kegs is superior to the ceramic, shape means it has the same radiative and convectional properties and seal means they have the same insulating and moisture retention with the keg actually coming out in front.
Control aspect is the same,air flow and temp control.
I don't get it?

drbbq
11-27-2011, 11:08 AM
I am curious as to why you think this?
The ceramic does not offer a characteristic to the cooking aspect, just the laws of physics on heat dynamics.
The technological insulation of the kegs is superior to the ceramic, shape means it has the same radiative and convectional properties and seal means they have the same insulating and moisture retention with the keg actually coming out in front.
Control aspect is the same,air flow and temp control.
I don't get it?

I'm not a scientist (and I'm not a real Doctor :) but I know that big industrial ovens and wood fired pizza ovens are lined with ceramic when steel would obviously be easier and cheaper for them.
And I believe the refractory properties of ceramic are superior to steel.

And here's my theory. The ceramic holds the heat and gives it back. If you get your Egg up to 600 degrees and shut the vents you can actually cook for a long time with no fire. So with the hot ceramic we need less fire and airflow which IMO both make the food dry.

I'm not going to argue any of this because i'm only the chef. If you have scientific data lay it out but IMO the ceramic cooks better than any steel grill or smoker I've ever tried.

Eatin Smoke
11-27-2011, 02:37 PM
After doing my homework I decided to go w/ the BSK and have had much success! There is a learning curve for low & slow but with the assistance of a Pitmaster IQ or Auber no problems.....Makes a great steak or pizza with high temps (700 + degrees) and no worries about cracks. Just bought a second BSK this summer and have had no regrets.

That being said, I have never cooked on a BGE and hope to add one to my arsenal in the future. Just my 2 cents.....

chrisnjenn
11-27-2011, 03:27 PM
I owned both the BGE and BSK. The BGE did much better holding a constant temp especially in long cooks. Not even close. Plus it used much less lump on cooks. I sold my BSK and bought another BGE. No regrets at all. Well worth the price difference.

Cracking? Very rarely have I heard this happening, but if it does, so what. Lifetime warranty on the BGE and great customer service.

JS-TX
11-27-2011, 03:46 PM
According to a handful of members on the BSK forum who own both, the keg and BGE cook very similar. The BSK does have a learning curve, more than a BGE?, who knows. One think the BSK has over the BGE is portability, they are much lighter and more rugged for traveling to comps or the lake etc..

JS-TX
11-27-2011, 03:50 PM
Plus it used much less lump on cooks.

Much less? I doubt it, IMO it may be the other way around, the keg is super efficient. But both are good I'm sure.

buccaneer
11-27-2011, 05:20 PM
I'm not a scientist (and I'm not a real Doctor :) but I know that big industrial ovens and wood fired pizza ovens are lined with ceramic when steel would obviously be easier and cheaper for them.
And I believe the refractory properties of ceramic are superior to steel.

And here's my theory. The ceramic holds the heat and gives it back. If you get your Egg up to 600 degrees and shut the vents you can actually cook for a long time with no fire. So with the hot ceramic we need less fire and airflow which IMO both make the food dry.

I'm not going to argue any of this because i'm only the chef. If you have scientific data lay it out but IMO the ceramic cooks better than any steel grill or smoker I've ever tried.
It's a discussion and I also am not into arguing but happy to discuss.
I understand that the BGE has greater thermal mass.
What I am unconvinced about is the relevance of that because the higher insular properties of the kegs means that 'steel' isn't the factor, the keg holds it's heat longer and heat is the element that cooks, not radiative effect when you have closed the fire down to a small size.
For anyone in a climate like mine this becomes a major negative to the BGE over the keg.
The BGE sits in the hot BBQ area radiating heat on a hot day and the keg sits there allowing people to sit near it without feeling it radiate heat.
That is market specific and not about cooking, just saying.
I also would be surprised if there was much difference in fuel usage.