PDA

View Full Version : Need HELP! I got random temp readings.

smooookin
11-26-2011, 03:42 PM
I have the Nu temp remote thermometers, a Maverick thermo pen. Before it starts, my RED Thermopen is in my camper (fail on my part). The Nu-temps are 300 years old, I have replaced the probes and the Maverick is reading two temps. The darn pin will read like 150 then 68 and yes it will be going back on Monday. I have fresh batteries in everything. Did I just get more stuff for my Christmas list? Any suggestions? I am cooking a Sirloin tip roast and a pork loin for the wifes family so you can see just how serious this is!:shock::shock:

BTW, just a little tip, once you get your offset (mine is an old NB) dialed in to the perfect temp.......DONT SCREW WITH IT!!

smooookin
11-26-2011, 03:59 PM
Really, 6 people look at this and have no advice, is this facebook?

Smokin' D
11-26-2011, 04:45 PM
OK, I'll throw out some advice. Go to the camper and get the Thermapen!

ozlites
11-26-2011, 04:48 PM
OK, I'll throw out some advice. Go to the camper and get the Thermapen!

^^^ What he said^^^

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
11-26-2011, 04:48 PM
There is always the old fashioned way. Poke the meat with your finger until it starts to firm up and then cut into and take a look. :becky:

Ron_L
11-26-2011, 04:49 PM
Have you tried checking any of them in boiling water? That's a reliable temp reference and you can see which one reads closest to 212.

Lake Dogs
11-26-2011, 08:02 PM
Maverick; Thermo pen?

Smokin Mike
11-26-2011, 08:16 PM
Really, 6 people look at this and have no advice, is this facebook?

I had to laugh, that was funny :becky: , if it was me look around for a old dial type thermopen, turkey stick, ect. in the kitchen drawers,(or go to price chopper) it's probably close enough to work, and depending on what gauge of doneness your family likes, pull allitle sooner, or later than what the dial says.

smooookin
11-26-2011, 10:03 PM
I finally just pulled it all and threw it in the oven. I had a heck of a time getting the old offset up to temp and just plain gave up. The maverick, besides getting dual readings is 10 degrees off. Sorry but for the kind of money these things run, she is going back to the store on Monday. I haven't checked the Nu-temps in a while but will do that and may need to replace the whole set up or pick up three new probes. I think I just overloaded the offset, was the reason I was fighting to get the temp up. Oh well, a bad day smokin is still better than a good day at work.