PDA

View Full Version : New vs Old weber grill wall thickness

Trumpstylz
11-26-2011, 03:10 PM
I've heard that the older webers have thicker kettle walls. Would this make them better for grilling/smoking in the winter (the heat loss and ability to hold the heat and such)?

pinkelephant
11-26-2011, 03:28 PM
A new one is wind proof and hot enough to cook in the winter. the real trick is to learn how to not burn your food with a weber. I learned on an idiot proof "Old Smokey" and there was a learning curve learning how to cook 3" over the coals on a weber.
You will never find yourself saying "I couldn't get the weber to hold heat", no matter what weber you get

Grain Belt
11-26-2011, 04:21 PM
I think the old timers feel a bit heavier but all Weber kettles will smoke in even cold conditions. I feel with all equipment one needs to know how much fuel is needed to get the desired results. In other words, it doesn't matter which one you get, you just need to get to know it

propsync
11-26-2011, 06:12 PM
Without a doubt the older ones really rock. My dad has a mid-70's brown one, and it has a couple of chips in the enamel. You can see and feel the difference. Besides the 30+ years on the same grill, he holds temp. extremely well with that thing. Some may argue the point, but with the 3 vents on the bottom, he has better air control than a one-touch. He also never cleans it. He'll crack a vent and give it a shake here and there. Some ash falls out. I've seen an booger green 18.5, and if I ever find a 22.5 in avocado, he'll have a pretty groovy setup. Can you tell that I'm jealous of the old grills?

smokingj
11-26-2011, 06:18 PM
Some may argue the point, but with the 3 vents on the bottom, he has better air control than a one-touch.

Well said. I'll take a old school 22.5 over anything that Weber puts out today.

troytime
11-27-2011, 01:33 AM
i have several old, and several new. I don't think there's a difference in the thickness.