PDA

View Full Version : Extra Steps That May Not Add Value

tortaboy
11-26-2011, 12:57 PM
My bbq chimney has definitely seen better days. It's bent, and starting to rust. I was about to fill it with charcoal and a couple of pieces of newspaper, only to light the paper directly with my weedburner. That got me thinking.....why do I even need the chimney at all anymore. I can light the coals directly with the weedburner, and get rid of a piece of rusting equipment that has outlived it's usefulness.

Used the weedburner without the chimney to light the coals, and it worked just fine. After all, my bbq is just one big chimney.

If I get rid of enough accessories, I can fit another bbq.:doh:

Anyone else have any processes they've stopped doing when que'ing because they added no value?

Crazy Harry
11-26-2011, 01:12 PM
I usually light the coals in the UDS with the weedburner. the propane tanks were empty and I don't have a chimney.

NorthwestBBQ
11-26-2011, 01:14 PM
I realized I didn't need my new chiminey the first time I used my weed burner.

LMAJ
11-26-2011, 01:24 PM
Al is a fan of the weedburner, I go the oiled paper towel route.

tortaboy
11-26-2011, 01:28 PM
I realized I didn't need my new chiminey the first time I used my weed burner.

If you look up "Creature of habit" in the dictionary, you will find my name.:becky:

I never really thought about it until today.

Now, I'm wondering what other processes I do when I que that do not add value. I've stopped adding mustard before I rub my meats...the rub melts into the meat just fine by itself, and I was just wasting the mustard.

tortaboy
11-26-2011, 01:32 PM
Al is a fan of the weedburner, I go the oiled paper towel route.

The oiled paper is more efficient. The weedburner is more fun, imo.:becky:

PigBeter
11-26-2011, 04:26 PM
I stopped using newspaper in my chimney when I realized I could just load up my chimney and put it on the side-burner of my gasser! So I made a cart for my kettle out of my old gasser!

Jacob

caseydog
11-26-2011, 04:32 PM
I still use a chimney, but not with paper. It's too windy here to do that safely. I use Weber paraffin cubes.

I wonder how my way stacks up from a cost standpoint to a weed burner. And, how long do you have to stand there with the weed burner. I just light my cube and do something else while the charcoal gets hot.

Seriously, I would change what I am doing, if I found a better way. I haven't really considered a weed burner, because, at least in my head, it seems more expensive and would require more work on my part.

CD

tortaboy
11-26-2011, 04:44 PM
I still use a chimney, but not with paper. It's too windy here to do that safely. I use Weber paraffin cubes.

I wonder how my way stacks up from a cost standpoint to a weed burner. And, how long do you have to stand there with the weed burner. I just light my cube and do something else while the charcoal gets hot.

Seriously, I would change what I am doing, if I found a better way. I haven't really considered a weed burner, because, at least in my head, it seems more expensive and would require more work on my part.

CD

Funny that you ask.....

I literally spend about 30 seconds to get the coals started well using the weedburner. When I put paper in the chimney, maybe 10 seconds.

I was thinking about running a test just out of curiousity:

Coals in the chimney with paper, lit by the weedburner
Coals in the smoker lit by the weedburner

I was curious if there was much time difference in getting a good fire going. Both seem to work well, but when I'm que'ing, a few minutes either way is not that big of a deal.

Regarding costs: There are different styles of weedburners. Mine just uses the mini throw away propane bottles. I would need to buy an adaptor kit to use the big propane tanks. I purposely did not get one that hooks to a big tank as I didn't want to be lugging that big sucker around. My small bottles are only a few bucks, and last a long time.

NorthwestBBQ
11-26-2011, 05:18 PM
If you look up "Creature of habit" in the dictionary, you will find my name.:becky:

I never really thought about it until today.

Now, I'm wondering what other processes I do when I que that do not add value. I've stopped adding mustard before I rub my meats...the rub melts into the meat just fine by itself, and I was just wasting the mustard.

I still use mustard, bro. Most people who compete do.

Funny that you ask.....

I literally spend about 30 seconds to get the coals started well using the weedburner. When I put paper in the chimney, maybe 10 seconds.

I was thinking about running a test just out of curiousity:

Coals in the chimney with paper, lit by the weedburner
Coals in the smoker lit by the weedburner

I was curious if there was much time difference in getting a good fire going. Both seem to work well, but when I'm que'ing, a few minutes either way is not that big of a deal.

Regarding costs: There are different styles of weedburners. Mine just uses the mini throw away propane bottles. I would need to buy an adaptor kit to use the big propane tanks. I purposely did not get one that hooks to a big tank as I didn't want to be lugging that big sucker around. My small bottles are only a few bucks, and last a long time.

It takes 20-30 minutes to get a chiminey going. I light my pit in 3 minutes with a weed burner. No comparison.

el_matt
11-26-2011, 05:36 PM

Harbor Freight sells an adaptor that allows you to refill the small bottles, using one of the standard size LP tanks. I got mine on sale for about $6, several years ago. It works really well, and literally pays for itself in just a few uses.

I stopped soaking my wood chips, after I became a Brethren. For that matter, I rarely even use wood chips anymore. BTCG was kind enough to send me a bag of peach chips, but once they're gone, I doubt I'll buy chips again(unless I'm wanting a specific wood and chips are all that are available).

I've also stopped using my gasser. It takes just a little more time to get the OTG going, and the taste is worth the effort/time. As a matter of fact, Mrs. El_Matt asked me today, what we are going to do with the gasser. I said we may as well keep it, the side burner does a bang up job of lighting my chimney!! I do have to replace the regulator though, and buy more propane...maybe I should just unload it, who knows?

I'm sure there are other things I've stopped doing, but I can't think of them right now.

Matt

Cabin Fever
11-26-2011, 05:36 PM
I just use a chimney starter and newspaper. When I do BBQ I'm not usually in a hurry. :rolleyes:

tortaboy
11-26-2011, 05:39 PM
i still use mustard, bro. Most people who compete do.

just curious....what benefits are you getting out of the mustard? The rub sticks plenty well, and i've never noticed a mustard taste to my bark.

it takes 20-30 minutes to get a chiminey going. I light my pit in 3 minutes with a weed burner. No comparison.
i guess it depends on how you do it. With the chimney, i light it and walk away....20-30 minutes seems like a long time, but you may be right.

with the burner, i also just light a few coals and walk away...the draft of the bbq soon gets everything going.

the comparison i was thinking of did not include spending 3 minutes and half a bottle of propane. :icon_blush:....although that is easy enough to do with the burner..

tortaboy
11-26-2011, 05:44 PM
Harbor Freight sells an adaptor that allows you to refill the small bottles, using one of the standard size LP tanks. I got mine on sale for about $6, several years ago. It works really well, and literally pays for itself in just a few uses.

Matt

That's very cool. I never knew something like that existed! Thanks!

ClintHTX
11-26-2011, 05:47 PM
I just use a chimney starter and newspaper. When I do BBQ I'm not usually in a hurry. :rolleyes:

This. If your going low and slow why go fast and be in a hurry? I light my chimney and prep other things

tortaboy
11-26-2011, 05:58 PM
This. If your going low and slow why go fast and be in a hurry? I light my chimney and prep other things

I hear ya and agree....although I could do without dumping the charcoal out and worrying about a straggler hot coal landing in my flip flops.:heh:

I can go low and slow with my weedburner by just lighting a few coals...I don't need to napalm the village.

Boshizzle
11-26-2011, 06:08 PM
I stopped rubbing the edges of ribs. I just put rub on the top and bottom. I haven't found that putting rub on the edges improves results over not doing it and it saves rub.

I don't put rub on the fat cap anymore.

I don't soak wood in water anymore.

I don't waste mustard anymore by putting it on meat before 'Q-ing it.

I don't lose anymore sleep cooking BBQ. HnF produces perfectly delicious BBQ and I get plenty of sleep.

The fat cap is a heat shield. That's about all. I don't waste my time worrying about wether or not fat from the fat cap is "basting" the meat.

I don't use a meat thermometer anymore when cooking brisket to check for doneness.

I don't cook beer can chicken anymore. Spatchcocked produces a superior product plus the liquid in the can does nothing to flavor the meat.

I don't ever use my CG for cooking BBQ anymore. I gave up on that BBQ torture tool of Satan after my first UDS cook.

el_matt
11-26-2011, 06:13 PM
I hear ya and agree....although I could do without dumping the charcoal out and worrying about a straggler hot coal landing in my flip flops.:heh:

I had some small pieces fall out the bottom of my chimney and burn my shoe and sock. It didn't feel good at all!!!

Thanks for starting this thread. I've looked at it several times today.

Matt

el_matt
11-26-2011, 06:18 PM
Gotta agree with Boshizzle. I only spatchcock now, it produces FAR superior results. I also mainly use my NBBD as a grill, not an offset smoker. The smoke box is a great place to store my chimney though.

Matt