PDA

View Full Version : Water smoker

Brauma
06-12-2005, 10:37 PM
Hey guys, I have been trying the search thing looking for an explanation of how water smokers work. But I struck out. Can anyone give me the scoop?

I saw a guy in a Q competition on FoodTV and he was putting apple juice in his smoker. So it must not be a closed water system.

thillin
06-12-2005, 11:15 PM
Banderas are water smokers. The water in the pan works like a heat sink to stabilize and mainatain temps. It also keeps it a moist heat.

I'm no expert, but this is the best I can tell.
Your mileage may vary!

Ty

BBQchef33
06-13-2005, 12:00 AM
Thats it, the water pan acts as a heat sink. Hleps stabilize temps as well as aid in faster heat recovery when opening the door. there are 2 schools of thought as far as humidifing the chmber, some say it doesnt do anything as far as adding moisture to the meat. IMHO, it has to do something,...... that moisture should at least aid in keeping the outside of the meater moister than if it wasnt there. For those that dont think it adds flavor, throw a few stalks of rosemary in the water pan and then add some plain unseasoned chicken breasts. When u taste that chicken, u will change your mind.

I used to use apple juice, but found it to be just wasting apple juice. Wasnt potent enuf to taste anything.

Jorge
06-13-2005, 12:13 AM
Thats it, the water pan acts as a heat sink. Hleps stabilize temps as well as aid in faster heat recovery when opening the door. there are 2 schools of thought as far as humidifing the chmber, some say it doesnt do anything as far as adding moisture to the meat. IMHO, it has to do something,...... that moisture should at least aid in keeping the outside of the meater moister than if it wasnt there. For those that dont think it adds flavor, throw a few stalks of rosemary in the water pan and then add some plain unseasoned chicken breasts. When u taste that chicken, u will change your mind.

I used to use apple juice, but found it to be just wasting apple juice. Wasnt potent enuf to taste anything.

I'll buy that and can see an aeromatic herb being more effective. worst case is that the yard/neighborhood smells better for a few hours.

kcquer
06-13-2005, 06:18 AM
Thats it, the water pan acts as a heat sink. Hleps stabilize temps as well as aid in faster heat recovery when opening the door.

In a bullet smoker like an ECB or WSM, the waterpan also acts as a barrier between the heat and the meat to provide the "indirect" effect required for low 'n' slow Q.

Brauma
06-13-2005, 08:38 AM
Well there you go. I was trying to make things more complicated as usual.

From the looks of that guys pro rig, it seems like it should be complicated. But it's just as simple as that. He had an inlet pipe that fed the water pan I guess. Sounds like a good Bandera mod...

BrooklynQ
06-13-2005, 08:45 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/whitetrashbbq/The-Marx-Brothers-oversized-postcard--B10204500.jpg

BigAl
06-13-2005, 09:23 AM
What all the Brother said above.

And Just for the record, I have NEVER seen a "BBQ Sand Smoker" manufactured For Sale!

Trout_man22
06-13-2005, 11:04 AM
And Just for the record, I have NEVER seen a "BBQ Sand Smoker" manufactured For Sale!

Now cut that out :lol:

dapittboss
06-13-2005, 11:34 AM
What all the Brother said above.

Good one! :lol:

Mark
06-13-2005, 12:11 PM
Hey guys, I have been trying the search thing looking for an explanation of how water smokers work. But I struck out. Can anyone give me the scoop?

I saw a guy in a Q competition on FoodTV and he was putting apple juice in his smoker. So it must not be a closed water system.

I don't recommend drinking smoked water. However, soaking your butt in it seems effective for alleviating certain "roid" sysmptoms.

Brauma
06-13-2005, 08:51 PM
Which "butt"? The pigs or your's?

I'm a garlic head if there ever was one. And I can tell right now that I will mix up some garlic/herb water as soon as I get my smoker going. Anybody tried garlic in their water? Or in their injections? BTW, I did order my 2 Cajun Injectors from Cabelas. Looking forward to using them too.

Bill-Chicago
06-13-2005, 08:57 PM
Which "butt"? The pigs or your's?

I'm a garlic head if there ever was one. And I can tell right now that I will mix up some garlic/herb water as soon as I get my smoker going. Anybody tried garlic in their water? Or in their injections? BTW, I did order my 2 Cajun Injectors from Cabelas. Looking forward to using them too.

Congrats Brama

I was watching this.

This post, your post, is the 77,777th post

Congrats, Lucky 7

Brauma
06-13-2005, 09:32 PM
Well thank the dear Lord and Jesus. That's the first good thing that's happened to me in 3 weeks. Life at work has been an absolute hair pullin, ulcer cuttin frenzy.

I think I'll celebrate by buying a lotto ticket or 7. Maybe that stroke of luck will lead to another. Thanks for pointing that out Bill. Where do you see those post numbers?