PDA

View Full Version : Smoking Turkeys

ButtHuttBBQ
11-26-2011, 07:34 AM
I have been asked by many that have say to me if I buy a turkey how much would you charge me to smoke it. I have know idea does any one know how much I should charge?? Just to smoke someone’s turkey.

posey's_pork_pit
11-26-2011, 07:46 AM
I'm a low and slow junkie so I only ask for the cost of materials, not my labor.

trekmstr
11-26-2011, 07:59 AM
well if i was already smoking one for myself, then i'd go with the cost of supplies. if it was just for them, then i'd charge at least $20.00 more. remeber you going to have to get the turkey a few days early to get it thawed, so figure in your prep time. also are they comming to get it or are you delivering. are you catchinhg the dripping for gravey? etc.

Rubmybutt
11-26-2011, 08:13 AM
There's a time when you gotta hang the sign, this pit don't run on thanks. Start low but cover your costs, as they have you do it more and tell there friends then it's time to go up. Just my thoughts. :thumb:

Mr. Bo
11-26-2011, 09:19 AM
I did two extra this Thanksgiving and charged the $20 each. They furnish the bird and come and get it. I furnish everything else including the tin foil pan and plenty of drippings for gravy. Had no complaints about price so far and I've done several turkeys, pork butts and briskets for others over the last couple of years. I charge the same for all of them and the word is getting out there.

trekmstr
11-26-2011, 09:35 AM
I did two extra this Thanksgiving and charged the $20 each. They furnish the bird and come and get it. I furnish everything else including the tin foil pan and plenty of drippings for gravy. Had no complaints about price so far and I've done several turkeys, pork butts and briskets for others over the last couple of years. I charge the same for all of them and the word is getting out there.

great start. hopefuly it works out for you.

LuvDbbq
11-26-2011, 10:12 AM
well if i was already smoking one for myself, then i'd go with the cost of supplies. if it was just for them, then i'd charge at least $20.00 more. remeber you going to have to get the turkey a few days early to get it thawed, so figure in your prep time. also are they comming to get it or are you delivering. are you catchinhg the dripping for gravey? etc.

That seems reasonable for starters. Obviously it depends on if they are your friends or not. :rolleyes:

Wampus
11-26-2011, 10:56 AM
I don't know if it's right or not, but what I do is charge double the cost of the meat. For instance, right now I have 8 butts on the smoker for various folks around town that like me to cook for them. I always buy the meat and tell them that whatever the cost of the meat, double that and that's what I charge.

It ends up covering my rub and charcoal and then some. It still ends up being very cheap, since a local BBQ joint sells their pulled pork for $10/lb and a 10 lb butt will yield around 6-7 lbs of pulled pork for what ends up being between $27-$35, depending on pork prices.

Now, if they are supplying the turkey, I'd go with an estimated value (NOT SALE PRICE) of the turkey and ask for that. The bigger the turkey, the longer it'll take.

Personally, I prefer to always purchase and pick out the meats. I don't wat someone to give me some old, half nasty piece of meat and then complain about my cooking. I'd rather handle all that. I figure my trouble for shopping, fronting the cost for the groceries, storing it in the fridge, etc. is covered in my fee.

I realize that it's all relative to price of meat, but in my mind, a brisket is going to take more care and knowledge to cook, ribs are more labor intensive and attention than a pork butt, etc, so it makes sense to me.

That's my $0.02. It's a place to start. If it works out for you, great. If you need to adjust from there next time.....do it.
I've had no complaints yet.

bigdogphin
11-26-2011, 12:34 PM
I charged 10 bucks a bird.