PDA

View Full Version : 1st Weber Gasser Cook After The Lava Rock Conversion

Midnight Smoke
11-25-2011, 07:19 PM
Finished up the Ground Beef I got from Costco. This Grill cooked so much better with the Lava Rock. No flare Up's with a very controllable cooking surface.

The unit was so much easier to cook on. I will continue to monitor with future cooks for any problems but for tonight's cook, just great.

BTW, believe it or not this is only the 2nd time I have used Costco ground beef. It really is not too bad, pretty good flavor.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k66/photolinks/BBQ/Hamburgers/Picture027-1.jpg

EX~DY
11-25-2011, 07:46 PM
Great looking burgers! Gotta ask though, why did you convert to lava rock from the flavorizer bars??

Midnight Smoke
11-25-2011, 08:06 PM
Great looking burgers! Gotta ask though, why did you convert to lava rock from the flavorizer bars??

Thanks!

This is the 1st Gasser I have ever owned so I do not know much about them. I do understand fire and heat. This model just seemed very inefficient with the way it cooked. The Flavorizer bars to me are nothing more than pieces of metal covering the burners. They get superheated and as grease drips onto them it just vaporizes. There really seemed to be no seasoning being done. It was like just cooking over raw flames.

There were hot spots and a lot of flare up's. It just did not cook very well.

My thinking is that the Lava rock will build up some grease and make for better cooking and flavor. Of course they will need to be maintained with some high heat cleaning periodically to prevent an overbuild up of grease. I have seen a few very old Gasser's with Lava rock and that does not seem to be to big an issue as they are still cooking fine today.

Now that I think about it, I think the bars should be call Vaporizer Bars.