PDA

View Full Version : BBQ Bretheren Thanks Thanksgiving success

DudleyDoRight
11-25-2011, 06:10 PM
This was the my first Turkey ever, including brining and smoking. Usually my Wife or her Grandma cook the meal.

This year I took on the bird It was a huge success Everybody said it was the best turkey ever. Nana who at 97 pulls no punches said this was the best turkey she can remember having. The entire 19 lbs was gone no leftovers. Usually we have turkey for a few days after.

I found the Forum last week and have major thanks to two posters.
Wampus for his Talking Turkey post. The tie up video was great
SmokinOkie for his Brining and Turkey 101
Your helps tips and tricks were invaluable to me.
SmokerKing for his post on building a Smoke Generator

The Bird
19lbs Free range bird. no enhancements.

The Brine:
Maple and Burbon brine for just over 24 hrs. Would have left it longer but was afraid of being to salty.

Seasoning
Butter Maple and Old Bay Rubbed under the skin and basted with it.

Wood
Hickory and Apple wood pellets. Built a Smoke Generator like Smokerkings. I've notice my Traeger doe snot always smoke as heavy as I wanted

Cooking
Heated Traeger to 350 (added ceramic bricks on the bottom to help with even temps) let it cool down and put the Turkey on at 250. Pumped boosted smoke for two hours (Apple). Then increased to 325 and finished off.

Results
Over whelming success, by the family. I Didn't like the skin to rubbery. Need to re read tat again to see what I did wrong.
Thanks again to the Brethren for their knowledge that helps newbies like me make great food.

Christmas Ham is next on the list

bluetang
11-25-2011, 06:37 PM
Looks awesome from here! Nice job:thumb:

Grillman
11-25-2011, 06:58 PM
That Turkey sure looks great...:hungry:

Phrasty
11-25-2011, 07:40 PM
Dudley looks like you done it right! :thumb: Good on ya!

Dragonfly
11-25-2011, 07:50 PM
Beautiful bird, congrats!

BigBobBQ
11-25-2011, 09:26 PM
good job the skin on mine this year wasn't as good as I wanted it to be but it was a hit so great work.