PDA

View Full Version : Leveling Smokers

tish
11-25-2011, 09:56 AM
I've seen several mentions of making sure your smoker is level during your cooks. Can someone explain to me why this is necessary? What happens if it isn't level? Does this pertain to just the big cookers? Thanks for any insight on this. :confused:

Boshizzle
11-25-2011, 09:58 AM
Heat rises. If you want even heat distribution, make sure the smoker is level. If you want to control where a hot spot is, make that point higher than the other areas in the smoker.

smokingj
11-25-2011, 10:06 AM
Heat rises. If you want even heat distribution, make sure the smoker is level. If you want to control where a hot spot is, make that point higher than the other areas in the smoker.

Learned that lesson about 2 weeks ago myself. Cooked some ribs and noticed one side was a 'little better cooked' than the other aka burnt. The next day I noticed that the patio where the drum was at was not level. There was a tilt that was noticeable if you looked from 2 of the 4 sides. Live and learn.

ssbbqguy
11-25-2011, 10:13 AM
Leveling is more than about airflow. On my big pits, the end that has the grease drain is lower than the firebox. Reason being the grease will go out the drain and not back towards the firebox. I clean my pits after every use, but if one wouldn't that could be a potential fire waiting to happen. On my BarrelSmokers we want them level to make sure the water pan is able to hold total amount of fluid without spilling. Steve.

Phrasty
11-25-2011, 10:31 AM
Don't think its that big of a deal with the kettle like grills. More of an issue with the offset rigs big or small.. The main problem is when you have the firebox higher than the cooking chamber, the heat backs up in the FB especially on reverse flow types. Level is best or if you can't avoid an incline I tend to make it go away from the firebox. But as stated... watch out for hot spots.

Cheers

Boshizzle
11-25-2011, 10:45 AM
Leveling is more than about airflow. On my big pits, the end that has the grease drain is lower than the firebox. Reason being the grease will go out the drain and not back towards the firebox. I clean my pits after every use, but if one wouldn't that could be a potential fire waiting to happen. On my BarrelSmokers we want them level to make sure the water pan is able to hold total amount of fluid without spilling. Steve.

Yep, that's important too. Some butter dripped from a turkey into the bottom of my jambo. I realized it when I heard a loud crackling noise coming from the smoker. It was butter up against the firebox. I just dropped the far end a little and took care of the problem.

DirtyDirty00
11-25-2011, 11:15 AM
ya my offset was made with a slight pitch to it. you wouldnt notice but it must be on a slight angle so the greese flows to teh side with the drain. not big enough of an angle to influence the air flow or the heat spots tho.

JD McGee
11-25-2011, 11:18 AM
I don't sweat it too much for my WSM's other than when I'm using water in the pan...:becky:

Divemaster
11-25-2011, 03:16 PM
Don't think its that big of a deal with the kettle like grills. More of an issue with the offset rigs big or small.. The main problem is when you have the firebox higher than the cooking chamber, the heat backs up in the FB especially on reverse flow types. Level is best or if you can't avoid an incline I tend to make it go away from the firebox. But as stated... watch out for hot spots.

Cheers

ya my offset was made with a slight pitch to it. you wouldnt notice but it must be on a slight angle so the greese flows to teh side with the drain. not big enough of an angle to influence the air flow or the heat spots tho.

I agree with the others. When it comes to reverse flow cookers, it's almost critical.

Because these cookers have a metal plate under the cooking area, if the far end (the end farthest from the fire box) is low, the heat backs up next to the fire box and you don't get the temperature control across the whole cooking surface. If the far end is to high, you won't get the liquids (grease and drippings) flowing correctly to the drain.

When we do comps, I bring out a pair of small house jacks to level her off. It makes a huge difference in the heat distribution.

Midnight Smoke
11-25-2011, 07:10 PM
Simple, depending on how your Cooking Grates are positioned, Your Hotdogs will roll to the edge. :roll: