PDA

View Full Version : Smoked Armadillo Eggs

midnight
06-11-2005, 04:55 PM
Tried a new recipe from the book "Peace Love and Barbecue".
They called it smoked armadillo eggs.

2 lbs uncooked sausage (like for a fatty)
Jalapeno peppers
cream cheese
onion powder, garlic powder, white pepper
yellow food coloring

Stuff the japs with a mix of cream cheese and spices, colored yellow with the food dye.

Put 1 pepper in the middle of a sausage patty and mold the sausage around the pepper.
Smoke like a fatty.

When done slice the "egg" so it looks like an egg with a yellow yoke.

It turned out pretty good. I used it on a biscuit with a fried egg, very good.

thillin
06-11-2005, 07:34 PM
Those have always been a staple snack at our deer lease. We have always used cheddar cheese though. They sell them at the TX State Fair also.

BrooklynQ
06-11-2005, 07:55 PM
ahh thillin?
Remember I'm a city boy and a yankee, but what's a deer lease?

Jorge
06-11-2005, 10:22 PM
It's where you pay $, for the opportunity to slay a deer.

BoarneSupremacy
06-11-2005, 10:30 PM
ahh thillin?
Remember I'm a city boy and a yankee, but what's a deer lease?

If you can't afford to buy the whole deer, you just pay for the portion you plan to use. :roll:

There are tons of farmers and timber companies with land sitting with little income during hunting seasons...they lease out the lands to hunters.

BigAl
06-12-2005, 05:56 PM
Damn, I got a whole herd of Deer in the yard and you don't have to waste drinking time hunting'em!

Could be shot, gutted, skined and in the smoker in less than a hour.

What is the going rate for a deer lease?

jgh1204
06-12-2005, 07:19 PM
It all depends. Down here in Deep South Texas, the right to shoot a trophy buck starts at $2500. A large lease will run you 15K and that would get you 1 trophy, 1or2 cull bucks, 2 or 3 does, 1 bull Nilgai, 2 Cow Nilgai, 2 pigs, 2 turkeys.

My company had a lease on the Kenedy Ranch which is adjacent to the King Ranch, but we passed when the leases went over 12K a year.

Deer in South Tx are small, but have huge racks, just like we like our women.

Mark
06-13-2005, 09:04 AM
Those have always been a staple snack at our deer lease. We have always used cheddar cheese though. They sell them at the TX State Fair also..

I like the sound of this one more. I'll try it but one question: Will fresh cored japs work best?

jamelvin
06-13-2005, 02:13 PM
I have been doing something similiar to this but put pepper jack cheese instead of cheddar. Try wrapping them in bacon too.

How did you like the book. I've looked through it at the place the writer owns but haven't bought it yet.

midnight
06-13-2005, 03:16 PM
I loved the book. If your looking for a recipe book I would buy something else like Smoke and Spice. But if you want some good barbeque "stories" along with info on the who's who of Q mixed with a little bbq history,then this is the right book.

Kevin
06-13-2005, 06:46 PM
I loved the book. If your looking for a recipe book I would buy something else like Smoke and Spice. But if you want some good barbeque "stories" along with info on the who's who of Q mixed with a little bbq history,then this is the right book.

Haven't got Smoke and Spice yet but I have another book by the same authors. Husband and wife team I beleive. Southwestern cooking. Good book to read about history of southwestern cooking and some rock solid recipes. Best tamales I've ever tasted.

chargriller
06-13-2005, 07:31 PM
How long do you smoke for and what temp do you use?

midnight
06-13-2005, 08:56 PM
How long do you smoke for and what temp do you use?

I did mine for about an hour and 15 min. at 230 deg. some of the cheese was starting to ooze out but not too bad. Next time I am going to try them with some cheddar cheese.

Bigdog
06-13-2005, 09:09 PM
Best tamales I've ever tasted.

Kevin,
Which book has the tamale recipe? I am both a tamale and cookbook junkie.

Kevin
06-14-2005, 02:19 AM

Kevin,

The Border Cookbook by Cheryl Alters Jamison and Bill Jamison.
Tried to post a link from Amazon but it was too long.

Qczar
06-14-2005, 06:18 AM
I used it on a biscuit with a fried egg, very good.

Serving it with a fried egg sold me. Sounds like a very good side dish for eggs. I`m about to reheat some Q`ed beef tenderlion with eggs for my GF`s birthday and this armidillo egg thing has me thinking?

Thanks for the recipe!

roknrandy
06-14-2005, 06:51 AM
I'm going to try this one. Thanks for the info midnight.

Bigdog
06-14-2005, 07:25 AM

Kevin,

The Border Cookbook by Cheryl Alters Jamison and Bill Jamison.
Tried to post a link from Amazon but it was too long.

Thanks Kevin. I just ordered it at Amazon.

MrSmoker
06-19-2005, 08:34 AM
I made some of these for Fridays challange,and someone actually asked me where did i get the eggs.I want to say "here's your sign", it was all i could do to explain them to him with a straight face. :lol:

CarbonToe
09-21-2005, 08:37 AM
Stuff the japs with a mix of cream cheese and spices, colored yellow with the food dye.

How about using Tumeric instead of the dye?

Or instead fry some onions until soft, add the garlic and fry a little, add tumeric to colour. Let to cool before mixing into the cheese (could substitute a mixture of grated and creamed cheese instead of just creamed?).

BBQchef33
09-21-2005, 09:02 AM
How about using Tumeric instead of the dye?

Or instead fry some onions until soft, add the garlic and fry a little, add tumeric to colour. Let to cool before mixing into the cheese (could substitute a mixture of grated and creamed cheese instead of just creamed?).

At the june bash, We mixed alot of shreaded mexican 3 cheese in with the cream cheese. The chedder cheese gave it enough yellow to look like an egg. Xczar made an awesome stuffing... hes gotta cough up the ingriedents.

david
09-24-2005, 10:32 AM
I'm trying this today... story at 11

slat
09-24-2005, 08:35 PM
I stuff mine with shredded pepper jack. I don't use cream cheese at all.

rbinms33
09-25-2005, 09:25 AM
Tried a new recipe from the book "Peace Love and Barbecue".
They called it smoked armadillo eggs.

2 lbs uncooked sausage (like for a fatty)
Jalapeno peppers
cream cheese
onion powder, garlic powder, white pepper
yellow food coloring

Put 1 pepper in the middle of a sausage patty and mold the sausage around the pepper.
Smoke like a fatty.

When done slice the "egg" so it looks like an egg with a yellow yoke.

It turned out pretty good. I used it on a biscuit with a fried egg, very good.

So THAT'S where that recipe came from. I can see me adding a new book to my collection.

qman
09-25-2005, 09:45 AM
So THAT'S where that recipe came from. I can see me adding a new book to my collection.

You will love it Richie. After reading all the good things the Brethren had to say about "Peace, Love, and Barbecue" and Dr. BBQ's Big-Time Barbecue Cookbook, I ran out and bought both of them. Both good, as every one said on the Cookbook thread, lots of good recipes, lots of good stories about Q and competition.

VitaminQ
09-25-2005, 02:15 PM
Well, I tried some 'dillo eggs yesterday. The biggest thing I learned is that turkey sausage does not good Q make. They weren't bad, and may have been a little over-cooked since I got called away in the middle of the process. But I'm not using turkey sausage anymore.

Kevin
10-30-2005, 03:50 PM
Cooked up a dozen eggs today. 6 the old stand by of JD maple and pepper jack for filling. 6 with JD hot and Dr. BBQ's big time rub. The 6 with the hot and rub were spicy! Not too much mind you. Just right. Enough to numb your lips yet not upset the belly. Just thought I would share. If I get the lava squirts tomorrow, I'll share that also.

brdbbq
10-31-2005, 07:41 AM
Wally World had JD for $2.00 this past weekend. I got 4 Maple.

CarbonToe
11-01-2005, 02:22 AM
I smoked a couple of BBQ 'Scotch Eggs' last night and they came out fantastic!!

Sorry if you guys know what they are, but just incase:
(Scotch Egg - Boiled Egg, wrapped in Sausage meat, rolled in beaten egg then breadcrumbs, deep fried)
(Picnic Egg - Boiled Egg mashed with mayo wrapped in Sausage meat, rolled in beaten egg then breadcrumbs, deep fried)
(BBQ Scotch Eggs - Boiled Egg, wrapped in Sausage meat, rolled in Rub then Smoked over Apple)

I forgot to take photos, but here one of a normal Scotch Egg i've ripped from Google!!

Ron_L
11-01-2005, 06:36 AM
I smoked a couple of BBQ 'Scotch Eggs' last night and they came out fantastic!!

That sounds good! There's a British pub in Minneapolis that serves scotch eggs. Good stuff! Now I have to try BBQ scotch eggs! Thanks, CT