PDA

View Full Version : What Is Up With This New USDA Temp For Turkey 165 in the Thigh

Midnight Smoke
11-23-2011, 11:19 PM
Been mentioned a couple times here.

I am having trouble with this one. Thighs always seem better at a higher temp.

Maybe just me, but saying it is safe to eat and Good Flavor must be 2 different things.

Boshizzle
11-23-2011, 11:24 PM
Been mentioned a couple times here.

I am having trouble with this one. Thighs always seem better at a higher temp.

Maybe just me, but saying it is safe to eat and Good Flavor must be 2 different things.

Yep, you very well could be right. To me, the legs and thighs might be a bit more tender at 180F and still be moist.

However, I think the breast would be better at the lower temp.

PatioDaddio
11-24-2011, 02:51 AM
Here's (http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/lets_talk_turkey/index.asp) the USDA inflammation.

"A whole turkey is safe when cooked to a minimum internal temperature of 165 F as measured with a food thermometer. Check the internal temperature in the innermost part of the thigh and wing and the thickest part of the breast. For reasons of personal preference, consumers may choose to cook turkey to higher temperatures."

John

QDoc
11-24-2011, 07:30 AM
What's the..I say what's the big idea boy!! Yous call yourself a bbq-man yous pay no 'tension to no thermometer. Yous cook that meat till it's tender. Yous cook it pass what city folks tink is done. It's tender my man..tender.. falling of de bone tender.. so's when yous put dat leg on yo mouff yous can suck dat meat offen the bone 'cause yous knows yo cousins aint gots no toofies.

Al Czervik
11-24-2011, 07:49 AM
so's when yous put dat leg on yo mouff yous can suck dat meat offen the bone 'cause yous knows yo cousins aint gots no toofies.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

sandiegobbq
11-24-2011, 09:37 AM
Dry is bad.

Moist is good.

I take out my turkey when it is 150 in the breast.

After it rests it gets to 160.

Juicy and moist throughout the entire bird.

Usually USDA temps are too high are they are concerned with safety
and not on it being cooked for taste
so I am surprised that they lowered their temps on anything.

Midnight Smoke
11-24-2011, 09:47 AM
I still think 165 is to low for the Thighs and Legs. Unless you like cutting into a bird and seeing Pink to Red Juice's... Just not done! IMHO

Mister Bob
11-24-2011, 09:51 AM
As Patio Daddio says, 165 as a minimum is safe, but tenderness depends on a few other factors like how moist the cooking environment is, what the cooking temperature is, whether the bird was brined, injected, the bird itself...

If you ice down the breast and let the rest of the bird come up to room temperature before cooking (no more than 45 minutes), and cover the breast with foil for the first hour of cooking, by the time the breast reaches 165 the thigh will be in the 180's or so and should be perfectly tender. At least that's how I do it.

P.S. I cook at 325 degrees in the Big Green Egg, I brine a 20lb bird for 48 hours and inject with melted butter and white pepper.