PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Thigh Temps?

SLCMACK
11-23-2011, 09:58 PM
What is the temp I am looking for in the turkey thigh...180ish? I know that I want the breast to be 165 and I plan on icing down the breast before hitting the smoker at 325. I just want the whole turkey to be done,,,nice and juicyifyed. Having the whole family over, I don't want to screw it up. Thanks Brethren

Boshizzle
11-23-2011, 10:02 PM
You only need 165F internal for turkey but the legs may let you get to 180F internal without drying out. But, if you are cooking the whole turkey, by the time the breast reaches 165F the legs very well may be at 180F.

If you are getting at least 165F everywhere without touching a bone with the probe you should be good to go.

Midnight Smoke
11-23-2011, 10:15 PM
You only need 165F internal for turkey but the legs may let you get to 180F internal without drying out. But, if you are cooking the whole turkey, by the time the breast reaches 165F the legs very well may be at 180F.

If you are getting at least 165F everywhere without touching a bone with the probe you should be good to go.

Are you saying cook the Legs and Thighs to 165 to be done? :confused:

Boshizzle
11-23-2011, 10:18 PM
I'm saying that 165F internal is the minimum safe temperature for turkey at the innermost part of the thigh and wing and the thickest part of the breast according to the UDSA.

So, if the minimum internal temp anywhere on the turkey (meaning at least 165F internal everywhere) the turkey will be done. Sorry, about the confusion. The breast will probably cook a little faster than the legs and thighs so, you have to go by the minimum temp of at least 165F.

I hope that makes it more clear.

AustinKnight
11-23-2011, 10:22 PM
I believe he's saying if your cooking a whole turkey then when the breast reach 165* then thighs will probably be at 180* ready to pull.

Grillman
11-24-2011, 12:49 AM
If possible; position the Turkey so the Thighs are closer to the heat source, and the
breasts are farther away from the heat source.
Depending on what kind of smoker or grill you are using; this may not be possible.

PatioDaddio
11-24-2011, 02:50 AM
Per the USDA (http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/lets_talk_turkey/index.asp), 165* in the entire bird is fine.

John

PatioDaddio
11-24-2011, 02:54 AM
I'm saying that 165F internal is the minimum safe temperature for turkey at the innermost part of the thigh and wing and the thickest part of the breast according to the UDSA.

So, if the minimum internal temp anywhere on the turkey (meaning at least 165F internal everywhere) the turkey will be done. Sorry, about the confusion. The breast will probably cook a little faster than the legs and thighs so, you have to go by the minimum temp of at least 165F.

I hope that makes it more clear.

Yeah, what he said! :wink:

I apologize for the duplication from the Department of Redundancy department.

John

jestridge
11-24-2011, 10:47 AM
I never have any trouble with the breast being dry, I usually taske my to 170