PDA

View Full Version : Gasser LP Pressure Question

Midnight Smoke
11-23-2011, 06:32 PM
Since I have fired the Gasser up and started playing with it again I found a new issue.

When a Propane tank gets low, say under a 1/4 full does it effect the flame at the burners? Or is it constant until empty?

I noticed that with a fuller tank the unit runs hotter and as the tank gets low the temps seem to run lower.

Dallas Dan
11-23-2011, 06:42 PM
The flames on my gasser get smaller when the tank is low. In fact one time the tank was slow low (I was not aware it was THAT low), the flames went out durring a cook. But some propane was still flowing with the lid closed. While I didn't taste it in the meat, I got pretty sick that night. I can't say for certain if I got some sort of propane poisoning or not. But that is the only reason I can figure that I got sick.

BlueHowler
11-23-2011, 07:29 PM
On my cheap azz gasser I can't get hot temps when the tank is low. It is worse when I try to grill in outside temps of 35º or lower

Last night at 32º I tried to grill some pork and even with 1/2 a tank of propane it would not heat up higher than 225º.

I'm glad I have a Gorge Foreman Grill it saved my dinner.

Living in Arizona you don't have to grill in sub freezing weather often but yes I think the level of fuel does affect the output at the grill.

Midnight Smoke
11-23-2011, 07:37 PM
Thanks Guys! I guess my thinking was that it seems one big complaint with LP is the tank running out during a cook. If this is normal you would be able to tell by the burners when the tank was getting low.

Keep in mind this is my 1st Gasser.

Dallas Dan
11-23-2011, 07:50 PM
Thanks Guys! I guess my thinking was that it seems one big complaint with LP is the tank running out during a cook. If this is normal you would be able to tell by the burners when the tank was getting low.

Keep in mind this is my 1st Gasser.

Yes, I learned my lesson and now keep a spare tank to switch out when it gets low. I found those pressure gauges (if you have one) to be unreliable. One thing to remember, while the tanks are rated for 20lbs, places where you exchange tanks typically only fill them to 15 lbs. I try to take my tanks to a refill station where they'll fill them to 20lbs instead of exchanging the tanks.

Buk
11-23-2011, 11:19 PM
If the hose to the tank is long enough, set the tank in a washtub and fill the tub with hot water from the tap. Might get you through the cook...........

Midnight Smoke
11-23-2011, 11:26 PM
If the hose to the tank is long enough, set the tank in a washtub and fill the tub with hot water from the tap. Might get you through the cook...........

Thanks, I used to do that with Freon tanks to get the refrigerant to flow faster. Good tip!

Grillman
11-24-2011, 01:45 AM
Also be sure you are lighting the grill the correct way. Make sure all the burners on the
grill are Off. Now open the valve on the Propane tank about 1/2 of a turn.
Turn the burner that is farthest from the tank to high...and light the burner. Next,
open the next farthest burner to high, until it lights.....and so on; until all burners
are lit.

Redleg71
11-24-2011, 09:57 AM
Don't know if this was mentioned but I learned it the hard way with my gasser. If you open the valve to far the safety will snap on the regulator and restrict the flow of LP. I always just crack the valve and have constant flames until the tank is done.

Most regulators will reset on there own after being unhooked for 5 minutes. I always unhook mine after each cook

1MoreFord
11-24-2011, 10:37 AM
Don't know if this was mentioned but I learned it the hard way with my gasser. If you open the valve to far the safety will snap on the regulator and restrict the flow of LP. I always just crack the valve and have constant flames until the tank is done.

Most regulators will reset on there own after being unhooked for 5 minutes. I always unhook mine after each cook

I've not heard of opening the valve too much causing a problem before - but opening one too quickly definitely will.

bizznessman
11-24-2011, 03:34 PM
Dallas Dan, Grillman, Redleg71 & 1MoreFord are all hitting on all cylinders…:thumb:

We had this same issue a while back. I did some research and found the information below on the site referenced at the bottom. (it has a lot of other good info about propane and gas equipment also) We switch to a new bottle once the level has dropped to 25% remaining. We always carry spares. :-D Oh, and we tested/schooled our propane supplier (they are NOT a "trade out the bottle" supplier) on their knowledge of how to fill a tank. They received a PASSING grade!! :becky:
----------------------------------
Why does my grill have little or no flame? According to the Coleman company there are at least three possible reasons.

First is that the propane tank might have been improperly filled. All tanks must be purged of air before being filled with gas. This purging requires filling with a small amount of gas and then emptying. Propane is heavier than air and will force the air out of the tank during the emptying. Filling with gas then can proceed. If the tank is not purged then the air is the first gas to exit the tank and the grill will either have no flame or a very low flame for possibly over an hour until the air does fully exit the tank.

A second cause might be the automatic activation of a surge protection device within the propane regulator. If, for example, you turn on the tank valve before you fully turn off each of the burner knobs on the grill the surge protector will likely sense a leak and activate. The fuel flow will be very low. The remedy is to turn everything off, disconnect the tank, and reconnect everything before starting over.

A third possible cause might be that the tank was overfilled. All propane tanks are now fitted with Overfill Protection Devices (OPD) which is designed to be activated by a float valve. The OPD feature prevents overfilling of the tank by shutting off the valve. A 20% empty space is necessary to prevent the tank from venting large amounts of propane when the ambient temperature rises. This OPD can also be inadvertently activated by tilting a very full tank during moving.
(this little fact bit us in the @$$ on a trip last year. :doh: )

Site Referenced:
http://gashosesandregulators.com/propaneregulatorfacts.html