PDA

View Full Version : Oils

10_Bears
11-23-2011, 04:50 PM
I have a question regarding cooking oil. When I just want to do a quick cook, like last night, I use my gas BBQ. Recently I have been getting quite a bit of smoke off the plates, could this be because of the type of oil I am using? I'm using Canola Oil.

buccaneer
11-23-2011, 06:34 PM
I have a question regarding cooking oil. When I just want to do a quick cook, like last night, I use my gas BBQ. Recently I have been getting quite a bit of smoke off the plates, could this be because of the type of oil I am using? I'm using Canola Oil.

The plates will get buildup of particles of carbon irrespective of the oil you use, when they reach a flashpoint temperature they will give off smoke.
Clean the plates well, use a half citus pressed into salt and rub.
Let it burn off.
I was pretty amused to read time after time the posts from an "experienced" griller on an Aussie forum condemning olive oil as a bitter oil if ever used in bbqing.
I know, it is contrary to the experience of the greatest BBQers all over Europe, the middle East and Australia and NZ...but he would blindly repeat it to whomever asked about oils.
Some people like to say the have decades of experience and you get fooled into believing they know it all, but so many people have attitudes that mean they take an experience and make a wrong assumption and repeat the conclusion for decades.
Canola has a far lower tolerance to heat than refined (extra light)olive oil so I would use that(smokepoint 242C!).It tastes soooo much better.
(Before arguing, it is a myth that it has a higher tolerance so look it up brothers, semi refined CO=177C but EVOO 207C, unrefined CO=107C)
Olive oil has a shelf life so it is delicious fresh, but if exposed to heat,light and air it will go rancid quickly.
Buy local as you can, fresh as you can and in a portion that you will use up in 3 months max.
Grapeseed and peanut oil are good too, and safflower, soy and avocado can get hottest before SPoint.
HTH.

The smoke will likely be coming from carbon buildup since domestic gassers don't get that hot.

tish
11-23-2011, 09:12 PM
Thanks, buccaneer! I never knew the smokepoint from lowest to highest of the various oils. I do use olive oil routinely, even if I'm cooking with butter. I'll put a little olive oil in the pan to keep the butter from smoking. Have also used safflower and soy on occasion, but love the taste of EVOO. Good stuff! :thumb:

buccaneer
11-23-2011, 10:31 PM
Thanks, buccaneer! I never knew the smokepoint from lowest to highest of the various oils. I do use olive oil routinely, even if I'm cooking with butter. I'll put a little olive oil in the pan to keep the butter from smoking. Have also used safflower and soy on occasion, but love the taste of EVOO. Good stuff! :thumb:
Hey, you're welcome!:-D
I use OO's whenever they suit and by using OO+butter you are getting a multitude of flavour AND health benefits too!
Light OO is 73% monounsaturated fats and butter also low in polyunsaturated fats but also contains a host of vitamins, antioxidants, essential fatty acids, and acids that are antimicrobial and antitumorigenic...and tastes fantastic!:thumb:

tish
11-23-2011, 10:48 PM
Wow. I had no idea this stuff was so good for you. What about peanut oil? I've used it for decades for my Chinese cooking. It was recommended for use in my very first Chinese cookbook years ago. Don't know if that's what the majority of Chinese people use, but I think it's rare to see fat Chinese people, and I know so many of them have incredible longevity. I have tremendous respect for their culture, so it's natural for me to emulate their cooking habits. They must be doing something right! :wink:

buccaneer
11-23-2011, 10:53 PM
Wow. I had no idea this stuff was so good for you. What about peanut oil? I've used it for decades for my Chinese cooking. It was recommended for use in my very first Chinese cookbook years ago. Don't know if that's what the majority of Chinese people use, but I think it's rare to see fat Chinese people, and I know so many of them have incredible longevity. I have tremendous respect for their culture, so it's natural for me to emulate their cooking habits. They must be doing something right! :wink:
EVOO is streets ahead for health benefits but groundnut oil is good at high temps and has a neutral flavour so essential for subtle tastes like real ethnic Chinese or Japanese food can have.
It does lower cholesterol(bad cholesterol).

I should add, it is more the stuff they put IN the oil and the infrequency they eat that type of food that makes them slender...and the fact that they walk/cycle everywhere.
Or used to until recently. Watch 'em blow up nowadays ;)

tish
11-23-2011, 10:58 PM
Well, I'll keep using it then for my asian cooking, then. Love, love, love it! :-D

Grillman
11-24-2011, 01:15 AM
Like Buccaneer said; Olive Oil is a good choice along with Grape seed oil...I also add
a little butter to the oil when cooking. The one Oil I never use for anything is
Canola Oil.
Canola Oil is made from the Rapeseed plant, which is unfit for human consumption.
So it was used as an oil for light machinery for many years. Eventually scientists were
able to make it "safe to consume" by cross-breeding the plant. Later Monsanto
got involved and made a genetically modified version of the plant. That is what
80% of farmers use today. Monsanto says it is safe....and I'm sure they wouldn't lie
about that:tape:.....but I think I'll use Olive Oil and Grape seed oil anyway.

jestridge
11-24-2011, 10:41 AM
Canadian oil, low acid" (canola oil)

10_Bears
11-24-2011, 07:46 PM
I used EVOO last night, much better outcome. I used to use grapeseed oil quite a bit, not sure why I stopped to be honest.

Lake Dogs
11-24-2011, 10:04 PM
^^^ Like Buc said, refer to smoke points on them. Canola is at/towards the lowest. For this reason, also NEVER use it to season anything, ala. a smoker. NO. NOT.

Aside, you may consider using lard in some cases (not all, and it's certainly not a health conscious choice).

10_Bears
11-24-2011, 11:05 PM
After a bit of reading, I think I might get onto Extra Light Olive Oil.