PDA

View Full Version : Thawing a turkey

el_matt
11-23-2011, 04:24 PM
I've been doing Alton Browns thawing style (in a bucket with SLOW runing water). It's working, but my wife wants it thawed tonight. I have to work tomorrow, so I can't help her then. Is there a faster way to thaw a turkey?

Matt

Groundhog66
11-23-2011, 04:27 PM
Is it still a rock, or mostly thawed at this point?

Q-Dan
11-23-2011, 04:27 PM
That's how I always do it. Generally takes about 20 minutes a pound for me. My microwave came with directions about how to thaw a bird using the defrost feature, but I wouldn't dare try it.

el_matt
11-23-2011, 05:08 PM
Is it still a rock, or mostly thawed at this point?

It's headed in the right direction. I would just like to speed up the process. It's not a rock, but it seems to be taking it's sweet time.

el_matt
11-23-2011, 05:14 PM
That's how I always do it. Generally takes about 20 minutes a pound for me. My microwave came with directions about how to thaw a bird using the defrost feature, but I wouldn't dare try it.

20 minutes per pound seems right. I've been doing the Alton process for about 3 hours, and it's a 16+# bird. I guess I'm on the right track. 20 minutes per pound, equals out to 5.3 hours. Maybe I just had higher/faster hopes. However, this is after the bird sat on my counter for several hours, and was still a rock, prior to the Alton Brown method.

Matt

el_matt
11-23-2011, 05:17 PM

I've thawed stuff in the microwave. It always seems to slightly cook the meat during the thawing process. I only thaw in the microwave if I absolutely have to.

Matt

viper1
11-23-2011, 07:27 PM
We usually throw it in the kitchen sink with cold water covering 3/4 of it and change water every few hours. Never have a problem. Then just throw in refrigerator.