PDA

View Full Version : First turkey help.

Oldpro1946
11-23-2011, 03:33 PM
I am going to smoke my first turkey. Bought a 11 pd frozen turkey. I wasn't going to brine it because there is little time but I do want to inject it. Bought some Creole butter. How far in advance do I inject and rub it? Also is there a need to clean it up to put in the fridge so the skin can dry out? I plan on smoking it at around 300 so that, hopefully, the skin crisps up. Pull it when the breast hits 160? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Wampus
11-23-2011, 04:36 PM
I'm no injection expert, but I'd say just inject it a couple of hours before putting it on the smoker. As far as the idea of cleaning it up and letting it dry out in the fridge, I'd say that's not that important. As I understand it, the fridge rest is most beneficial with a brined bird in order to dehydrate the skin. If you're just rinsing your bird then the little bit of moisture on the surface will quickly go away once in the smoker.

As far as rub, I'm personally not a great believer in needing to rub meat much before it goes on....be it butts, brisket, chicken or turkey. But that's just me....