PDA

View Full Version : Expanded Metal Charcoal Basket Question

kydsid
11-19-2011, 09:25 PM
Okay, this may be stupid but googling didn't help.

Is 3/4'' Expanded Metal always or usually steel? I just assumed it was but when I took a look at the receipt from the hardware store it said Aluminum. :icon_blush:

Disciple882542
11-19-2011, 09:47 PM
How much was it? I would say aluminum would be much more expensive than same gauge steel.

Skidder
11-19-2011, 09:49 PM
put a magnet to it

bizznessman
11-19-2011, 09:50 PM
In general Expanded Metal is used when referring to steel. Steel is usually the most economic due to the cost of other materials. However, expanded metal (mesh) can be also processed from stainless steel, aluminum, nickel and other metals.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
11-19-2011, 09:54 PM
How heavy is it? Aluminum is noticeably lighter.

kydsid
11-19-2011, 10:02 PM
How much was it? I would say aluminum would be much more expensive than same gauge steel.

$20 for 24'' x 24''. Which I just found is half the price the Ace website says it should be.

How heavy is it? Aluminum is noticeably lighter.

Well it sure weighs like steel, I think. I am probably putting too much faith in the upc code stuck on it that ended up saying aluminum.

kydsid
11-19-2011, 10:12 PM
put a magnet to it

Can I not mention I have a BS . Ooops. You sir are winner winner. :clap2:

Magnet verified, its steel. Thanks everyone. I'll take this as my stupid moment of the day. :D

J'ville Grill
11-19-2011, 11:18 PM
$20 for 24'' x 24''. Which I just found is half the price the Ace website says it should be.

Twenty bucks is What I paid for a 24 x 24 piece from HomeDepot and it is steel.

[quoteWell it sure weighs like steel, I think. I am probably putting too much faith in the upc code stuck on it that ended up saying aluminum.[/quote]

If it were aluminum you'd know it.

Frankbbq
11-22-2011, 12:57 AM
You usually need more than 2' X 2' for a basket. Make a card board basket and measure what you need. Metal yards, welding shops, and scrap yards sell #9 X 3/4 expanded. They often have "drops" at a much better price. If you use a frame you can replace the bottom when it burns out.

danielo
02-21-2012, 05:05 AM
Okay, this may be stupid but googling didn't help.

Is 3/4'' Expanded Metal (http://www.cadischmda.com/meshtec-expanded-metal.asp) always or usually steel? I just assumed it was but when I took a look at the receipt from the hardware store it said Aluminum. :icon_blush:

Usually it should say but it can come in steel or Aluminium.