PDA

View Full Version : Where to measure temp in a Weber Kettle?

laveen1
11-19-2011, 06:27 PM
If my target temperature is 220, where do I place the sensor? If the temp at the surface is 210, the temp at the dome will be from 235 - 260. Does this mean the meat is being cooked properly? Do I need to flip the roast every ?? min? Should I try to control the temp at the grill, or at the dome?

Are any of the "devices" (I.E. The Smokenator, iQue 110, etc.) really useful for this purpose? I partitioned off an area for the fire with foil and had pretty good luck using indirect heat with my ham. However, I did a lot of "chasing" the temperatures to maintain something close to my target temp. The iQue 110 sounds like a "set & forget", but I would very much like to see some confirmation that any of the gadgets really work.

caseydog
11-19-2011, 06:36 PM
No matter where you measure the temperature, you will have to "chase" your target temperature when slow smoking on a kettle. BUT, don't go nuts with it. Over a five-plus hour cook, some fluctuation is not really going to matter.

I wouldn't bother with flipping the meat.

I have not tried using my iQue 110 on my kettle, only on my WSM. It would certainly help keep your temperatures more steady. If you want to do a lot of slow smoking, invest in a WSM. With or without an iQue, it will be a whole lot easier to maintain a temperature over a long period of time.

CD

Vision
11-19-2011, 06:57 PM
On the grate.

El Ropo
11-19-2011, 07:08 PM
Indirect smoking on a OTS is gonna be difficult to keep it that low. It may settle in at 275, I'd just roll with it and adjust cooking time.

On a side note, smoking at 220 is going to drive you crazy! (up all night mod)

Let it rip at a higher temp like 275-300 will be golden, then if you want to try your hand at poultry, it won't be a problem to get the kettle settled in at a slightly higher temp like 325.

LMAJ
11-19-2011, 08:11 PM
Put your temp probe at the grate level -
What are you cooking? I don't move my meat after it goes on the grate.

Lake Dogs
11-19-2011, 08:26 PM
On the grate; always, on every smoker; on the grate. Also, fyi, 220 is too low, IMHO. Shoot for 240-250.

tish
11-19-2011, 08:33 PM
No matter where you measure the temperature, you will have to "chase" your target temperature when slow smoking on a kettle. BUT, don't go nuts with it. Over a five-plus hour cook, some fluctuation is not really going to matter.

I wouldn't bother with flipping the meat.

I have not tried using my iQue 110 on my kettle, only on my WSM. It would certainly help keep your temperatures more steady. If you want to do a lot of slow smoking, invest in a WSM. With or without an iQue, it will be a whole lot easier to maintain a temperature over a long period of time.

CD

So, CD, do you find that the iQue 110 works on your WSM the way they say it's supposed to? Do you use a separate thermometer besides? Just curious.

Cook
11-20-2011, 07:17 AM
On a kettle I will always incorporate the "ring of fire" method. It's just banking the coals in a ring around the kettle. (Banking is the same thing as the minion method w/o someone's name attached) Leave a 4-5" gap at some point in the coals so you don't have a complete circle. Dump a handful of lit coals on one end of the "ring" and it will slowly burn it's way around the kettle for a good few hours.

I personally don't worry too much about temp...so long as I feel it's not too cold or way too hot. I cook with what my heat source gives me on that particular day. There's wars, the economy, and all other sorts of bad crap for me to be worrying about. Smoker temp and cooking time is something I can deal with much easier.

buccaneer
11-20-2011, 07:32 AM
I personally don't worry too much about temp...so long as I feel it's not too cold or way too hot. I cook with what my heat source gives me on that particular day. There's wars, the economy, and all other sorts of bad crap for me to be worrying about. Smoker temp and cooking time is something I can deal with much easier.

How's that worrying helping things?
I need to know because my contributions in that field have never shown a result. :ear:

laveen1
11-20-2011, 11:43 AM
LMAG asked: What are you cooking?

The only successful smoke/cook so far was a 12# ham. Tried bacon but no one liked it except me. I will try bacon again now that I discovered how to control the temp better. Also planning on a pork shoulder or butt, ribs, etc. I will also try a brisket after more successes with pork. If I dont want to smoke/cook @ 300+ I have to do this when the temperatures in Arizona are well below 100 deg.

El Ropo
11-20-2011, 01:40 PM
LMAG asked: What are you cooking?

If I dont want to smoke/cook @ 300+ I have to do this when the temperatures in Arizona are well below 100 deg.

Huh?

laveen1
11-20-2011, 05:01 PM
If the outside temp is up near or beyond 100 deg (it's like that at least 1/2 the year), I don't think my Weber can maintain a cook/smoke temp of 220-225 deg. I know I can cook at the higher temps, but the meat doesn't come out quite the same as low & slow.

mbshop
11-20-2011, 05:41 PM
i've never tried to keep temps that low in a kettle. i think the coals are just to close. plus i see no reason to. micro managing the temps will drive one nuts. coals just don't react that fast.