PDA

View Full Version : Old School 'que done right

smokingj
11-19-2011, 12:21 PM
Hope this is the right forum for this. I just love watching this vid.
Enjoy!!

Sweatmans BBQ

Sweatman's BBQ - Holly Hill, SC - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY4KHKOLITY)

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
11-19-2011, 03:49 PM
I enjoyed the video. Thanks for sharing.

BTW, I just looked them up on Yelp and one reviewer says it is under new ownership.

steve6402
11-19-2011, 03:49 PM
nice video, thank you

J_Don
11-19-2011, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the Video. That's definitely a lotta love going into that Q. Now I see why it takes 4 days of prep.

Forrestbro
11-19-2011, 05:05 PM
Thanks for sharing this video.

smokingj
11-19-2011, 05:11 PM
I enjoyed the video. Thanks for sharing.

BTW, I just looked them up on Yelp and one reviewer says it is under new ownership.

Yea. I heard that about a month ago through the grapevine. Hope they don't screw it up and change things.

jestridge
11-19-2011, 06:11 PM
I think I would change the name. But sure like the way they do things

MilitantSquatter
11-19-2011, 08:30 PM
Nice video.. thanks for posting.

interesting to see that they spend time separating light & dark meet and removing all the fat.

Mister Bob
11-19-2011, 08:41 PM
Love the video, thanks for sharing. Sweatman's BBQ just got added to my bucket list.

morgaj1
11-19-2011, 09:04 PM
No Mavericks or Gurus in that cooking setup. Makes you wonder about all the trouble we go to to get the exact temps.

Brizz
11-19-2011, 10:59 PM
Awesome. Makes me want to throw some meat on the smoker and just let her ride. Not worrying about spritzing and mopping and foiling and bark color and all the other crap that fills our heads as we make the journey.

Cabin Fever
11-19-2011, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the video. I love watching bbq videos like that.

Awesome. Makes me want to throw some meat on the smoker and just let her ride. Not worrying about spritzing and mopping and foiling and bark color and all the other crap that fills our heads as we make the journey.

I know what you mean. After watching this video I now feel like throwing a butt on the OTG with just salt and pepper using the minion method.

Cook
11-20-2011, 07:01 AM

I try to make that point all the time.

As far as Sweatman's, it's about an hour from where I live. We've been a couple of times, but it's not one-hour-bbq as far as I'm concerned. If we ever go again, it'll be because we're passing close by on the interstate at just the right time and have a hanker'in for bbq.

I'm not a fan of places that separate the light from dark meat. Being an eastern North Carolina native I know the benefits you get from mixing the whole hog. The inside meat isn't that flavorful. You get your light smoke flavor from the outer brown crust. By mixing the two you end up with a wonderful combination. The flavor of Sweatman's bbq could be better. That is just my personal opinion. While it is good for South Carolina mustard based barbecue, they have a long way to go to compete with a couple of the vinegar based examples in SC...and they certainly can't compete with a plethora of joints located one state north.

To their credit...they have the best hash in the state of South Carolina.

jestridge
11-20-2011, 08:12 AM
What place in your area would you recommend.. Sometime I stay around the Goose Creek area

smoken don
11-20-2011, 10:31 AM
Enjoyed the video.Thanks!

smokingj
11-20-2011, 11:21 AM
I try to make that point all the time.

As far as Sweatman's, it's about an hour from where I live. We've been a couple of times, but it's not one-hour-bbq as far as I'm concerned. If we ever go again, it'll be because we're passing close by on the interstate at just the right time and have a hanker'in for bbq.

I'm not a fan of places that separate the light from dark meat. Being an eastern North Carolina native I know the benefits you get from mixing the whole hog. The inside meat isn't that flavorful. You get your light smoke flavor from the outer brown crust. By mixing the two you end up with a wonderful combination. The flavor of Sweatman's bbq could be better. That is just my personal opinion. While it is good for South Carolina mustard based barbecue, they have a long way to go to compete with a couple of the vinegar based examples in SC...and they certainly can't compete with a plethora of joints located one state north.

To their credit...they have the best hash in the state of South Carolina.

Love it. Nothing like a debate with carolina folks on who has the best 'que. Like politicians, the only thing 2 pitmasters from the region will agree on is everyone else is wrong. :thumb:
I envy the folks who can run a joint/shack down there and keep it real. Up here there is so many farkin regulations that you the only way they can "que is with gas if you have a restaurant.
There is a few other films I'll try to post in this thread as well. One is the "N.C. BBQ trail" which showcases the old time pits still in operation. Another I found is called "BBQ is a Noun". Google it and watch the trailers on the site. Just amazing. Reminds me of the guy who taught me to cook back in the day.
As for spritzing, mopping, etc. each person has their methods that produce what they like. I just watched a film last night about Ed Mitchell down in N. Carolina. He does whole hogs cut in half. They get rubbed down with salt, put in the pit and taken off 16 hours later. He pulls the meat, seasons it with his spices, adds his sauces, mixes it up and serves. I was like Whoa!!! that makes a lot of sense IMO about seasoning after the meat is done. Something I want to try this Thanksgiving since we are having a butt for our dinner.
As for gurus, etc. to each his own, but not for me. I was always taught:
Know your pit
Know your fire
Know your meat
Get those 3 things mastered and you you'll do just fine.
Take your time and put your love into it, and everything will fall into place.
It's like the pitmaster in the video said, "If you take your time it's gotta come out right. But if you go with the rush job, thats what you get".
Makes sense to me.
Glad you all enjoyed it. :thumb:

smokingj
11-20-2011, 11:26 AM
North Carolina Barbecue Trail (part 1) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQllZciurzM)

North Carolina Barbecue Trail (part 2) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3vIKSdbwcA&feature=relmfu)

gtr
11-20-2011, 11:45 AM
Loving the videos!

I hope those ways of doing things don't ever get lost.

smokingj
11-20-2011, 03:21 PM
Loving the videos!

I hope those ways of doing things don't ever get lost.

I feel the same way. I would love to sit and hang with the elderly black gentleman, Mr. Grady. I bet he has lots of wisdom and stories to share.