ThomEmery
11-18-2011, 09:11 AM
I am told the peanut oil can be saved and reused
Anyone have experience doing this?
What methods did you use?
Thanks

Big Bears BBQ
11-18-2011, 09:18 AM
I've heard the same thing yes and no on saving the oil. Maybe someone will come along and head us in the right direction. I'm thinking if its not burnt oil you could only re-use it one more time.

southernsmoker
11-18-2011, 09:21 AM
Strain it thru cheesecloth, store in a cool place, should last awhile.

Bluehawg
11-18-2011, 09:25 AM
I've saved it before. Once you use it though, it won't keep forever and will get "stale" after a while and I can usually tell if it is too old by the smell. Hard to explain and no it don't stink but it will have a stale odor if you keep it too long and will impart that smell as an off flavor in the foods you use it to fry. I filter and keep oil from frying fish and keep it in a separate container under the kitchen sink. When I fry fish again, I give it a good smelling and if it is still good, I use it. If it is stale I do something else with it like use it to season cast iron (since you burn it off anyway).

And I never use oil that has been used to fry fish for anything other than fish or hushpuppies and sometimes shrimp. The first time you use it you can cook fries with it but after a time or two it will make your fries take on a fishy or a burnt corn meal flavor. Use different oil for foods that are breaded with flour as well.

1FUNVET
11-18-2011, 09:25 AM

I use coffee filters and like he said store it in a cool place.

NeoTrout
11-18-2011, 09:28 AM
I use a deep fryer filter, you can get at a restaurant supply place, they look like giant coffee filters. I put that in my giant homebrew funnel and strain while its still warm back into the container. Store in a cool place. :cool:

speedfreek88
11-18-2011, 09:46 AM
There's a restaurant on Beale St. in Memphis called Dyer's that fries their burgers in the same oil that they've been using for like 97 years or something like that. They just filter and purify it every once in a while. If they can do that for almost a century then one of the methods above should work fine!

augie
11-18-2011, 11:01 AM
There's a restaurant on Beale St. in Memphis called Dyer's that fries their burgers in the same oil that they've been using for like 97 years or something like that. They just filter and purify it every once in a while. If they can do that for almost a century then one of the methods above should work fine!

I think the same can be said for The Varsity in downtown Atlanta - except for the filtering and purifying parts...

J_Don
11-18-2011, 11:17 AM
I just bought a new foodsaver and I'm wondering if I do the straining and store it in a foodsaver container if that might give it a longer shelf life especially with the high cost of peanut oil these days. I'll follow this post for sure. :becky:

PitRow
11-18-2011, 11:55 AM
I'd assume it would eventually get rancid, but if stored correctly between uses I'd think you could get at least a handful of years out of it. Like was said above one of the food network shows, think it was man vs. food, did a piece on a restaurant that's been using the same oil to fry their burgers for 100 years. They filter it once a week and top it off with new oil as it low, so I doubt much of the original oil is left, but I'm sure it would have taken decades to get rid of all of it.

AustinKnight
11-18-2011, 11:57 AM
I used to strain it and save it all the time and try and re-use it a few days after. I don't think it's really worth it to save it I use seasoning on the outside of my birds and that burn's off in the oil. If you didn't put any seasoning on the outside or inject your bird :tsk:and seasoned it when it came out the oil still hot you could probably have decent oil to save.

J'ville Grill
11-18-2011, 12:49 PM
Strain it and reuse it for frying chicken.

Ole Man Dan
11-18-2011, 01:11 PM
If my oil get too dirty, I take it to our Hunting Club and put it on
carpet scraps for rubs...(Wired to a tree for Hog Hunting).

This is my kind of 'Recycling'...
Old Oil, Old carpet= Old Hogs :clap2: Tomorrows BBQ. :-D

swamprb
11-18-2011, 01:30 PM
I just get Canola or "oil for frying" in a box at Cash n Carry. Tried saving Peanut oil in the past, strained it through paint strainers and cheese cloth to get the crusties out, stored it in the freezer, but next time I went to use it, the off smell turned me off and ended up dumping it. Heard Emeril say he kept his turkey fried peanut oil for 3 years that way!

cholloway
11-18-2011, 01:52 PM
After straining/filtering used cooking oil you can clean or freshen it by frying slices of potato in it. The potato absorbs a lot of the impurities and flavors left in the oil and even leaves it a little clearer.

Cook
11-18-2011, 02:06 PM
I'd assume it would eventually get rancid, but if stored correctly between uses I'd think you could get at least a handful of years out of it. Like was said above one of the food network shows, think it was man vs. food, did a piece on a restaurant that's been using the same oil to fry their burgers for 100 years. They filter it once a week and top it off with new oil as it low, so I doubt much of the original oil is left, but I'm sure it would have taken decades to get rid of all of it.

This restaurant was mentioned already, further up in this thread.

To clarify on the post above, they don't add oil as it gets low...they actually take oil OUT instead. As the burgers cook the beef fat stays behind constantly replenishing the oil. I could be wrong, but I think that's what I remember from some tv show a good few years ago.

Filtering our oil should extend it's life for a few more cooks. Filter it while still very warm though something like a coffee filter. I know restaurants that filter their fryers multiple times every day...and use it for 3-4 weeks, 7 days a week before discarding it.

RamHemiTX
11-18-2011, 02:37 PM
I usually fry 2-3 turkeys at thanksgiving over a 2 day spread (in-laws and my family don't mix). Then I filter and store in the original container and re-use for Christmas. Then I throw it out. Just a hassle to keep around.

Cook
11-18-2011, 04:18 PM
I usually fry 2-3 turkeys at thanksgiving over a 2 day spread (in-laws and my family don't mix). Then I filter and store in the original container and re-use for Christmas. Then I throw it out. Just a hassle to keep around.

Good excuse for a good 'ol wintertime fish fry.

markdtn
11-18-2011, 04:51 PM
I wait for it to almost cool and then I strain it through a funnel I got at Academy that has a group of small holes in the bottom. I strain it back into the original container box. I throw away the last bit that has gunk, so every time I use it there is a little less. Then I put it in the freezer. It is good for 2 years or about 5-6 uses whichever comes first. If you fry potatos and/or not so much battered stuff it lasts longer. Set it out the day before you want to use it and it will defrost and pour.

SmokeWatcher
11-18-2011, 05:07 PM
Strain it and reuse it for frying chicken.

Mmmmm......chicken!

deerslayer8153
11-18-2011, 05:55 PM
If you get the oil too hot and "burn" or scorch it, throw it out. Otherwise use the above filtering methods and keep in a cool place.

I've re used oil 7 or 8 times and never had an off taste.

yelonutz
11-18-2011, 09:38 PM
Work your hand between the meat and the skin. Put your rub or seasonings into the pockets you just made. This keeps the hot oil from washing the rub off and burning it, transferring the taste to the oil.
Use cheap oil and cook at 325 for 3 1/2 min/lb instead of 350 3 min/lb with peanut oil. This will keep the turkey from turning black.

NUTZ

SmokeOCD
11-18-2011, 09:40 PM
Let it settle, take what you can without disturbing the sediment. Turkey then chicken wings - then fish - then toss it.

RamHemiTX
11-18-2011, 11:00 PM
Good excuse for a good 'ol wintertime fish fry.

This is true!

Cloudsmoker
11-18-2011, 11:09 PM
THIS! I've tried the straining once, and even used a straining device designed specifically for this purpose. Still smelled like a stale version of my seasoning.

tish
11-19-2011, 01:05 AM
I've never used a turkey fryer, so I can't speak to that. But I have done a lot of deep frying with peanut oil in a wok over the past 30 years, or so. The Chinese use a method of putting in a slice of fresh, peeled ginger, and a sprig of scallion to deodorize the oil. They fry it for 3-5 minutes until it's burnt to a cinder. It removes the smell of raw oil, or the flavors of past foods that were cooked in the oil. It's then strained through a fine strainer to remove any sludge from previous cooking. Once oil is used to fry fish, it should never be used again for anything other than fish. And if you're going to fry any kind of dough or dessert, it should always be done with fresh oil. Other than those two caveats, as long as it's deodorized and strained each time, it should be good to cook with over and over again. If it works in a wok, I can't imagine that a turkey fryer would be all that different. Just my 2 cents.

boatnut
11-19-2011, 07:12 PM
I used to use peanut oil but when it skyrocketed, I switched to Sam's Club "clear frying oil".

I use mine primarily to fry fish with occasional fries or onion rings. I have the Bayou Classic propane powered fryer. In cooler weather, the oil stays in the fryer. It has a "V" shaped bottom below the burner that allows particles to settle and stay cool.

I will filter it after say 4 or 5 uses, then re-use a couple of more times after that. I don't have the most discriminating palate, but never get any complaints on my fried fish.

When it's summertime, I will drain and try to keep in cooler place. Cooks' Illustrated did some tests and say that best place to keep used oil is in freezer, 2nd in 'fridge, and third in cool place. I don't have room in first two for big 4 gallon jug of oil.

I'm a little scotch, but now way in hell would I throw out that much peanut oil after just one use!

Cook
11-20-2011, 08:23 AM
I used to use peanut oil but when it skyrocketed, I switched to Sam's Club "clear frying oil".

Completely & totally agree! Peanut oil on a turkey is a waste in my opinion...especially if you're planning on it being a "one time use" oil. Much cheaper products out there that will give a VERY satisfactory result.

ThomEmery
11-25-2011, 10:20 AM
Just a product note
I bought two of the Butterball Indoor Turkey Friers (Kyle gets on for Christmas)
These things work great
easy to clean and manage
oil drain spout with valve is raised so impurities settle in the oil
and do not transfer back into the oil jug when your done

Excellent Now we are talking about deep fried Prime Rib ;0) at new years