PDA

View Full Version : Thai curry

kpdiver
11-17-2011, 03:24 PM
Any pharkers out there with a good Thai curry recipe for wings and chicken? Had some of BW3'S Thai curry wings the other day and they were amazing. I would like to make my own sauce instead of buying theirs so if any of you have an idea of what goes in it I would be interested. Thanks in advance.

KP

Westexbbq
11-17-2011, 04:04 PM
Somebody just told me about a recipe for masaman (massaman) curry. Google it and see if that is what you're looking for.

Prairie Smoke
11-18-2011, 10:11 AM
It's pretty easy to make if you can track down some green curry paste, coconut milk, and fish sauce. Those ingredients are all easy to find in grocery stores for me. Fresh or frozen kaffir lime leaves are nice to add, but a little harder to come by.

google is your friend, there's much better home thai cooks out there than in the bbq brethren. Aw heck, someone is bound to post a killer recipe to this thread anyway. I'll be watching!

Capozzoli
11-18-2011, 02:18 PM
I love Thai food. Curry is one of those things. It covers a broad range of dishes just like in India. In Thailand (I have never been there) There are all different kinds of curries. The ones that are popular in the US are Red Curry, Green, Curry, Yellow curry, and coconut curry. All four are coconut curries.

To make some of these curries authentically you need to get or make some curry paste. A curry paste is basically a wet masala. Where curry powder is made with dry spices a curry paste is mostly wet ingredients. Such as chile peppers, ginger root, galangal root, kefir lime leaves then other spices like cumin, cinomon, etc. The ingredient that makes it Thai is fish paste. It is often ground little shrimp or crab. For my curry paste I reconstitute little dry shrimp then pulverize them.

Get a mortar and pestle. Good to have around anyway.

Jar curry pastes is OK, but homemade is much better. You can fake some of the ingredients. Like using some lime zest and fish sauce.

Get a couple of cans of coconut milk. Making that homemade is a work out.

I would my curry paste recipes but they are VERY closely guarded. :-D

buccaneer
11-18-2011, 05:21 PM
Any pharkers out there with a good Thai curry recipe for wings and chicken? Had some of BW3'S Thai curry wings the other day and they were amazing. I would like to make my own sauce instead of buying theirs so if any of you have an idea of what goes in it I would be interested. Thanks in advance.

KP
I'd point you in the right direction if I knew what you wanted.
Can you tell me some characteristics of the curry that you were impressed by?
Chicken wings and chicken go different directions in Thai cuisine, you see.
It is true that to make a curry you will need to pound up a heap of ingredients.
Don't worry about fish paste, it is only used in some and not usually in curries dishes and isn't synominous with Thai food, but making a popular Thai curry you may need to source pea eggplants and apple eggplants, galangal and kaffir lime leaves at least.

kpdiver
11-19-2011, 02:32 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I didn't realize there were so many types of curry. The sauce that BW3'S used was yellowish in color. I guess I'm not a curry connoisseur so I can't put into words what I'm tasting other than it was real good. Heck it may not even be a "real" Thai curry and is just marketed with that name. If any of you get the chance to try the sauce I'm referring to, then maybe you would be able to tell me if it would be considered authentic. Thanks again for the replies.

KP

buccaneer
11-19-2011, 03:02 AM
Okay, now I know what you are chasing.
1/2 head garlic
2 shallots
3cm galangal
1/2tsp each of following:fenugreek,white peppercorns ground,cumin,toasted and ground
1/4 tsp each:fennel, cinnamon,cardomom
6cm peeled turmeric
2 lemongrass sliced fine
10 Thai birdseye chilies
3 cloves
1 tsp sea salt
and
Pound to a paste
++++++++++
1 can coconut cream
2 cans coconut milk
1 medium onion
1 Tbs palm sugar
400g potatoes, new
250g sweet potato cubed
1 large skinned chicken breast(if you use wings the liquid with thicken)
1 fresh mango
2 limes juiced
3 kaffir lime leaves torn up
3 thai chilies
handful of Thai Holy Basil
3 Tbs fish sauce or to taste
Put peanut oil in heavy pot and add coconut cream.
Med heat, than add paste and stir till the oil separates and the aroma fills the air.
Add onion and cook till translucent.
Add salt and chilies and increase heat to boil, add new potatoes, cover and cook till tender. Add sweet potatoes and stir for 3 minutes. Add kaffir lime leaves
Now add chicken and cook until tender, about 9 minutes. Add sugar, fish sauce, mango cubed and 3 sliced chilies Thai Holy Basil and lime juice and cook 2 more minutes and serve.
Bucc

kpdiver
11-19-2011, 03:11 AM
Wow, that was fast and thank you very much. Some of those ingredients I have never seen before so I'll have my work cut out for me to find them. I believe I'll try this after the holidays. Thank you once again.

KP

buccaneer
11-19-2011, 04:12 AM
You're welcome, enjoy!

SmokinAussie
11-19-2011, 04:39 AM
Farkin' hell Buccs, you're farkin good!

I know my Asian sh!t and I'm thinking you've got it all covered! Gimme a moment and I'll see if I can come up with something to add to that!

Cheers!

Bill

kpdiver
11-19-2011, 05:19 AM
The more the merrier. I'm up for trying new and unusual things.

KP

buccaneer
11-19-2011, 05:30 AM
Farkin' hell Buccs, you're farkin good!

I know my Asian sh!t and I'm thinking you've got it all covered! Gimme a moment and I'll see if I can come up with something to add to that!

Cheers!

Bill

Don't make it a competition Bill.:-P:wink::laugh:
Just helping a brother out!:-D

SmokinAussie
11-19-2011, 05:43 AM
Right... farkin stand back... here we go.

Maybe we need a Thai-Brethren site... but who cares!

This is a Mussaman Thai Curry. I do it a lot. I just had to go and get what I wrote down once.

First make the Curry Paste:

5 Long dried chillies, take the seeds ouk. Soak and Drain.
4 Tablespoons French Shallots
1 whole head chopped garlic!
2 TBS Chopped/ Minced Galangal (A relative of tumerick an ginger)
3TBS Chopped Lemongrass, or the juice of a whole lemon.
1TBS Coriander root, chopped fine with the hairy bits scaped off!
2TBS roasted peanuts, crushed
5 cloves, roasted and ground
1/2 a whole nutmeg smashed and roasted
1 tsp Mace
I inch Cassia or Cinnamon grond and roasted
4 cardamom pods, all roasted and ground up.

Making the paste, you need to combine the ingredients to be roasted and roast together, in a wok, add a little water until fragrant and then add the remaining ingredients and stir until you get a smooth paste.

Next, you need a small Chicken... or in Aussie terms.. A Chook! About a 2lb Chook... not A big one!

Cut into small parts.

You also need:

4 Medium size spuds (Potatoes)
Oil for frying,
1 cup pineapple juice
2 TBS tamarind water
5 tbs Fish Sauce
1 cup Palm Sugar ( you might not need all of it)
3 cups Coconut cream
4 bay leaves
1/4 cup peanuts (roasted)
5 Cardamom Pods

OK... DEEP FRY THE CHICKEN! :becky: Till Golden!

Repeat with the potatoes and onions.

Put chicken in a pan and cover with coconut milk and bring just to the boil. Add cardamom pods, peanuts and bay leaves.

Take another pot big enough to hold the entire dish and add coconut cream and curry past you made before.

Cook this until you cans smell the dried spices. It might take 10 mins or so, and stir to prevent any burning. Change the pan if you get any burning.

Add the palm sugar and allow the mix to caramelise. Its really a personal taste as to how much you want to add.

When you're ready, add the tamarind water and the fish sauce, but you need to balance these sour and salty elements with the amount of sugar you put in before, so keep tasting....

When ready, add to the chicken, potatoes and onionsfrom the other pot. Stir in the last ingredient... the pineapple juice and let simmer for a few minutes.

Serve...

Go to Thai Food Nirvana!

Cheers!33Bill

buccaneer
11-19-2011, 06:34 AM
:laugh::laugh: Tole ya not to make it a competition!
I'll PM ya about this!
Bucc

kpdiver
11-19-2011, 08:02 AM
I knew asking this question on this awesome site would pay off...thank you to the Aussies. You guys rock! :thumb:

KP

buccaneer
11-19-2011, 08:06 AM
Onya Mate.
We are a loyal breed, and we are in this...and far deadlier pursuits over the last century...together!:thumb:
Bon apetito!

kpdiver
11-19-2011, 08:13 AM
Amen my brother...AMEN. :clap2:

KP

SmokinAussie
11-19-2011, 04:16 PM
Well, nothing like having 2 recipes to try!

Cheers!

Bill

buccaneer
11-19-2011, 04:34 PM
Yours was a unique take, very interesting!