PDA

View Full Version : Hot Dogs!!

ddog27
06-04-2005, 08:45 AM
I was grilling some hot dogs last weekend and I started thinking about all the different ways you can cook and top them. So I thought I would ask you guys, what is your favorite way to cook them? What do you put on them?

Also if you are not cooking hot dogs where is your favorite place to go and get one? There is a place called Ted's in Tempe, Arizona that is a great place to get a hot dog! They grill them over charcoal right in front of you. Yum!!

Bigmista
06-04-2005, 01:27 PM
Sonic footlong chili cheese with Jalapenos. I miss those a lot. No Sonic in L.A.

Ron_L
06-04-2005, 03:06 PM
At home, I really like my dogs with a good char on the outside and some spicy mustard and relish. There are a few places in the area that do a decent char dog, but when I have dogs away from home, its Chicago style. There are a lot pf places that do a good job, but here's some of my favorites...

Portillos (Chain. They are supposed to be opening a restaurant in CA, but I'm not sure where). http://www.portillos.com

Poochies (grew up on Poochies dogs)
Irvings (for red hot lovers), https://secure.icsp.net/irvings/redhots.asp
Superdawg, http://www.superdawg.com
Flukey's

Bill-Chicago
06-04-2005, 03:51 PM
This needs to be moved to Q Talk <mod please>

Chicago Style, substituting ketchup for the mustard.

Must, have sport peppers

Ron_L
06-04-2005, 08:57 PM

That's blasphemy, ya know... :)

Kind of like putting mayo on corned beef... :shock:

racer_81
06-04-2005, 10:27 PM
Sonic footlong chili cheese with Jalapenos. I miss those a lot. No Sonic in L.A.

mmmmm...sonic......in my neighborhood......

BBQchef33
06-04-2005, 11:37 PM
Cooked in beer, grilled for a few seconds, Stuffed into a paplano, put on a potato roll and covered with grilled onions.

thillin
06-05-2005, 12:59 AM
Gooked in beer, grilled for a few seconds, Stuffed into a paplano, put on a potato roll and covered with grilled onions.

No pickles? 8)

Neil
06-05-2005, 06:12 AM
Sonic is a must stop when we go to Arkansas, closest one about 2 1/2 hours away in Kokomo, IN
I don't have a favorite way to cook or prepare hot dogs, there all good as long as the actual dog is a Koegel, Vienna Beef, Best or David Berg.

thillin
06-05-2005, 06:21 AM
Sonic a couple of blocks from the house. :D

Neil, have you tried the Hebrew Nationals or the Nathan's? I keep a stock of Hebrews when they go on sale @ $2.50 a pack here. Mustard, red onions and dill pickle on mine. Cheap dogs get mustard and sweet relish.

kcquer
06-05-2005, 06:51 AM
Nathan's?

We just started getting Nathan's in stores around here, Wow! great dogs!!

I usually fix several with different condiments on them, mustard, relish, onions, dill pickles, Heinz Hot Dog relish, lettuce, jap slices, cheese....and for a Chicago flavor, celery salt. When available some leftover chili or sloppy joes.

Really good dogs I like to have one last one with just the dog on a bun. BTW- I love hotdogs!! Grilled is best but not mandatory.

Brauma
06-05-2005, 06:53 AM
At home: boiled or an after-thought on the Weber to make use of those beautiful coals.

There is an old (and I mean old) country store just up the road from me named Parrish Grocery. They have this old fat chick that I know has been doing nothing but making hot dogs for 30 years. If she ever got laid off that's all she could put on her resume. She'd be farked but she can make a hot dog.

Anyway, I like mine with mustard, ketchup and onions.

evilpsych
06-05-2005, 08:41 AM
i eat hot dogs on a reg. basis.. and know the ins and outs of getting the best flavors for your buck. The BEST hotdogs are made from mystery meat.. i kid you not. Oscar Meyer reg wieners are pretty much everywhere.. but your local butcher might have some locally made ones that are really tasty. nothing like lips and a$$holes.. :lol:

anyway. i like mine with mayo, spicy mustard, ketchup, onions, and relish.. sometimes a little cheese..

jgh1204
06-05-2005, 10:45 AM
I guess we must be talking about a different food chain, because my experiences with Sonic in TX is that they are mediocre at best. DQ is much better and whataburger is better than DQ, except WB does not do hot dogs.

racer_81
06-05-2005, 12:06 PM
Gooked in beer,.

What the hell is Gooked?

Mook, do you know?

That's what I wanna know. What is this Gooked method?

Wonder if that method helps out in contests....

Bill-Chicago
06-05-2005, 12:21 PM

That's blasphemy, ya know... :)

:

Not on the South Side, where I'm from.

You must be a Cubs fan ron :)

Jorge
06-05-2005, 01:41 PM
If using Oscar Mayer I either grill or rotiserie most of the time. Now and then I slit them and stuff them with the cheese of choise and then grill.

Using sausage I smoke them.

Using that fine Vienna Beef product from ...<this hurts to say>...Chicago I boil them. That's rare because I have a tough time finding them this far south.

Condiments: Ketchup quit going on the dogs when I was 8 yrs old. Either plain French's or the mustard of the day to include german varieties, whole grains, chipotle mustard, and finally habanero spiced varieties. usually onions, sometimes cheese and chili <but never with beans. Now and then I'll add some Pico de Gallo.

The one day every year that I always manage to have at least one hotdog is 4 July. It's a tradition.

thillin
06-05-2005, 10:26 PM
For the cheap dogs, I cut a spiral around and down the length of the dog. Then into the deep fryer. Dam good eats! Been doin it for years. Doesn't take long, but test times for your liking.

Qczar
06-06-2005, 06:20 AM
Cooked in beer, grilled for a few seconds, Stuffed into a paplano, ...............

Damn, why did`nt I think of that? Excellent idea! I just bought a couple of packages of dogs at the supermarket, one pork one beef called 'World Class'. Highly recommended. NY style. Next grilling I`ll have to throw a few plablano half`s on too instead of using kraut.

It does amaze me the different sections of the country eating their dogs different ways. From my observations in the NE, ketchup on a HD is usually done by only little kids. Mayo? I don`t think I ever seen that one?

For me a good, NY deli style, natural skinned dog with deli style spicy (horseradish) mustered and a heaping of sauerkraut.

Also, just plain ol` skillet cooking is a very good way to brown a dog.

flavorsoffire
06-06-2005, 08:28 AM
I have never understood the love for Sonic hot dogs. I am not sure if it is the hot dog, the chili, or the bun, but something they use is not right. :?
At home I like to grill them to a light char. Then grill some bacon and jalapenos and add it all to a toasted bun with a squirt of mustard and a slice of cheese.

This is making me hungry!

parrothead
06-06-2005, 10:31 AM
Recipe from a friend

Texas twisters

Slice the hotdog lengthwise, but not all the way through. stuff the slit with some cheese and jalapenos. wrap each dog with 2 slices of bacon and tooth pics to hold the guts in. Deep fry.

I have not done these, but he says they are good.

brdbbq
06-06-2005, 10:38 AM
heaping of sauerkraut.

You can bury that chit.

BigAl
06-06-2005, 11:14 AM
Gooked in beer,.

What the hell is Gooked?

Mook, do you know?

That's what I wanna know. What is this Gooked method?

Wonder if that method helps out in contests....

Gooked is when you buy a 12 pack of beer to cook the dogs in and drink 11 of'em before you start cooking the dogs. :oops: :roll:

Cooking with Beer is Alcohol abuse :!:

Judge to town drunk, "Do you have a Alcohol drinking problem?"

Drunk to Judge, "No problem Sir, unless I don't have any, then I do have a problem drinking."

Qczar
06-06-2005, 12:04 PM
heaping of sauerkraut.

You can bury that chit.

As seemingly everyone else, just a product of my environment.

Bill-Chicago
06-06-2005, 12:21 PM
heaping of sauerkraut.

You can bury that chit.

As seemingly everyone else, just a product of my environment.

Don't take that too seriously x.

Brians buried so much chit that he needs to move every few weeks or get a landfill permit.

jsmoker
06-06-2005, 01:10 PM
Grilled Nathan's dogs (never, never, never, never, never boiled!) with 'kraut, brown mustard, and the onions in red sauce relish. We can't get the onion sauce here in KC, so whenever we visit the fam on the East coast we buy a case of the Sabretts onions at the local Wally World. Dad is from Brooklyn and he taught me how to do it.... Got the 5 year old son working on carrying on the tradition!

Hoorenga
06-06-2005, 07:39 PM
Just got back from a wedding in Newport, Rhode Island. There was a "BBQ" the day after the wedding where the only thing on the grill was foot long hot dogs. They talked them up before the wedding and on the invitation as if they were something special. They called them Soggies. Looked like any other skinny little foot long hot dog to me. Didn't even taste special. Tasted like your basic $1.99 a pack, cheap hot dogs. I had to eat four of them just to feel like I had eaten something. They cooked them untill they were slightly blackened and cracked. If it wern't for that they would have had no taste at all. Guess there is no accounting for taste. I also had a "Famous" fish sandwhich while I was in Wheeling, West Virginia. It was suppose to be the best. The fish wasn't bad but the bread was one of the most plain white breads you have ever seen. The weight of the fish and the moist heat caused the bread to squish down so it was more like a wraper than a piece of bread. Some people.

Mustard on mine please (yellow not brown)

darkimages
08-12-2007, 02:38 PM

I know this post is old BUT .. there is a sonic in Anaheim don't know how far you are willing to travel

C Rocke
08-12-2007, 06:17 PM
Recipe from a friend

Texas twisters

Slice the hotdog lengthwise, but not all the way through. stuff the slit with some cheese and jalapenos. wrap each dog with 2 slices of bacon and tooth pics to hold the guts in. Deep fry.

I have not done these, but he says they are good.

Same idea - We wrap H Nationals in bacon like a barber pole, and grill. Then add some cheese, little shot of Tabasco, and other toppings.

If going out - it's Pink's or Tail o' the Pup in LA. Local landmarks that both make a mean 'dog!

Jorge
08-12-2007, 09:42 PM
At home, I really like my dogs with a good char on the outside and some spicy mustard and relish. There are a few places in the area that do a decent char dog, but when I have dogs away from home, its Chicago style. There are a lot pf places that do a good job, but here's some of my favorites...

Portillos (Chain. They are supposed to be opening a restaurant in CA, but I'm not sure where). http://www.portillos.com

Poochies (grew up on Poochies dogs)
Irvings (for red hot lovers), https://secure.icsp.net/irvings/redhots.asp
Superdawg, http://www.superdawg.com
Flukey's

I always manage to stop at Superdawg at least once during a layover at Midway. I need something to eat on my way to get a burger at Illinois Bar&Grill (thanks Greg) and the perfectly drawn Guiness accross the food court.

My bitch....the employees at the Superdawg location WILL NOT sell a damn thing before 10 AM, whether they have it cooked or not!

Ron_L
08-12-2007, 10:12 PM
I always manage to stop at Superdawg at least once during a layover at Midway. I need something to eat on my way to get a burger at Illinois Bar&Grill (thanks Greg) and the perfectly drawn Guiness accross the food court.

My bitch....the employees at the Superdawg location WILL NOT sell a damn thing before 10 AM, whether they have it cooked or not!

It's been a while since I flew out of Midway, but I'm pretty sure that it's Gold Coast Dogs (http://www.goldcoastdogs.net/) at Midway. As fas as I know Superdawg still only has the one location on the NW side.

Jorge
08-12-2007, 11:10 PM
It's been a while since I flew out of Midway, but I'm pretty sure that it's Gold Coast Dogs (http://www.goldcoastdogs.net/) at Midway. As fas as I know Superdawg still only has the one location on the NW side.

It's Superdawg in the ATA/Southwest terminal down by the gates. I think Gold Coast is up in the food court.

CarbonToe
08-13-2007, 07:26 AM
I gently heat the dogs in beer.
Saute sliced onions in a pan until golden.
Tip beer from dogs onto onions and reduce.
Pop dogs onto grill.
Slit rolls and throw in onions, pop in dog and then either cover in beef chilli, mustard, BBQ sauce, brown sauce (A1 to you guys) or a combo!!

Greendriver
08-13-2007, 08:29 AM
it does seem funny about different parts of the country having a "most popular" way to eat hd's. Around here no matter where you go you can order a "foot long all the way" and pretty well count on all of em being the same. cheap wiennie, mustard, ketchup, chili, slaw, onions and I love em like that but I always tell em to leave off the ketchup as I gave it up when I was about 8 myself. plus most folks here prefer chili with beans and I won't get one if I know it ain't got beans in it. them beans adds substance to the whole thing you know and beside everybody knows the old saying about beans - "beans beans good for your heart, the more you eat the more you phart, the more you phart the better you feel, so eat them beans for every meal". had a cousin that grew up poorer than I did and we literally did have to eat them beans for every meal sometimes, we'd get up early and there wouldn't be a thing to eat except a big ol pot of pintos still in the pot they was cooked in that had been thrown in the fridge and we'd eat em cold smeared on loaf bread.

jbrink01
08-13-2007, 08:39 AM
about 40 hot dogs every time we vend. Oddly enough, even with all the other BBQ goodness coming off the pit, we have a devout group of hot dog lovers that order 'em every week. We use Farmland 4/1 all beef. Smoke 'em at 275 for about 1 hour, and serve 'em with mustard and banana pepper rings.

Markbb
08-13-2007, 09:04 AM
I like the slaw dog with yellow mustard, dog in a bun chili, toped with a creamy cole slaw and mustard.........think I'm gonna make some tonite:rolleyes:

Pork Chop
08-13-2007, 09:40 AM
Grilled on a Poppy bun, smeared with everything but the kitchen sink. YUM YUM

Ron_L
08-13-2007, 10:50 AM
It's Superdawg in the ATA/Southwest terminal down by the gates. I think Gold Coast is up in the food court.

Yeah, Gold Coast is in the food court. I can't remember the last time I was in the ATA terminal. When I do fly out of MDW it's generally Northwest to Minneapolis. MDW is just too hard to get to from my house and the fares out of O'Hare have been more in line recently.

it does seem funny about different parts of the country having a "most popular" way to eat hd's

You can extend that to around the world. When I travel to Norway to visit our corporate HQ, one of our favorite things to do at about 2:00AM :roll: is to get a Norwegian hot dog, or Weinerpolser. They are cheap in a country where everything is expensive and they are good. Here;s a web site that talks about hot dogs in Scandanavia...

http://lennart.regebro.nu/hotdogs/

I thought that this was an interesting way to serve hot dogs "A favourite for most swedish kids is mashed potatoes. A logical extension of this is the 'tunnbrödsrulle'. This is one (or two) hot dogs (usually boiled) together with a big amount of mashed potatoes, all wrapped up in a a thin round bread. This is the thing to eat if you are really hungry, since there is a lot of mashed potatoes."

Puppyboy
08-13-2007, 02:53 PM
Gotta dig the chili cheese pups from Krystal.

LMAJ
08-13-2007, 07:05 PM
Dirty water hotdog with mustard, onions and kraut... yummm....
Dirty water hotdog = any dog from a street vendor... saddly can't eat 'em anymore - broke out in some serious hives last 2 times.......

Bigmista
08-13-2007, 07:18 PM
I know this post is old BUT .. there is a sonic in Anaheim don't know how far you are willing to travel

Might have to make a trip. Nice to know that you are doing your "Brethren Research"!

Bigmista
08-13-2007, 07:22 PM
Same idea - We wrap H Nationals in bacon like a barber pole, and grill. Then add some cheese, little shot of Tabasco, and other toppings.

If going out - it's Pink's or Tail o' the Pup in LA. Local landmarks that both make a mean 'dog!

Never cared for Pinks. Went twice. Got a cold dog both times. Never went back.

Wish i had the courage to buy one of those bacon wrapped dogs with the grilled onions from the little Mexican ladies cooking on the street corner. They always smell so good.

Bigmista
08-13-2007, 07:29 PM
it does seem funny about different parts of the country having a "most popular" way to eat hd's. Around here no matter where you go you can order a "foot long all the way" and pretty well count on all of em being the same. cheap wiennie, mustard, ketchup, chili, slaw, onions and I love em like that but I always tell em to leave off the ketchup as I gave it up when I was about 8 myself. plus most folks here prefer chili with beans and I won't get one if I know it ain't got beans in it. them beans adds substance to the whole thing you know and beside everybody knows the old saying about beans - "beans beans good for your heart, the more you eat the more you phart, the more you phart the better you feel, so eat them beans for every meal". had a cousin that grew up poorer than I did and we literally did have to eat them beans for every meal sometimes, we'd get up early and there wouldn't be a thing to eat except a big ol pot of pintos still in the pot they was cooked in that had been thrown in the fridge and we'd eat em cold smeared on loaf bread.

Been there. Pintos and rice smushed between white bread. Potato salad sammiches. Syrup Sammiches for breakfast.

*sigh* The "Good Ol' Days".

bbqbull
08-13-2007, 09:35 PM
Hey Brethren members........ever fry hotdogs in bacon fat?
Taste= Bodacious eats.

RevRuss
08-13-2007, 11:22 PM
From someone who grew up thinking there were only 3 cuts of meat: hot dogs, baloney, and fatback.

Any reasonable weenie with do (avoid the red ones). I prefer Carolina Pride or O-M - but store brands OK.

Need a lot of onions chopped medium (can do big chunks of Valdalia's).

Make chilli almost anyway, but please don't put ketchup in it.

Splurge for the French's mustard - generic just won't do.

ModelMaker
08-14-2007, 10:02 AM
When I worked short order at Henry's Hamburgers (late 60's) the dogs were cut about 2/3rds way through down the length and dropped in the fryer. By time they were cooked they had turned into a round shape that you could put on a hamburger bun. The condiments went into the middle so that every bit got some. Little kids went nuts over em mostly because they were different.
ModelMaker

Ron_L
08-14-2007, 10:12 AM
My wife makes these for the kids next door...

http://www.kckpl.lib.ks.us/ys/IMAGES/OCTOPUS.JPG

:-D

Cuelio
08-14-2007, 10:17 AM
My wife makes these for the kids next door...

http://www.kckpl.lib.ks.us/ys/IMAGES/OCTOPUS.JPG

:-D

Wow, Ron. That's some careful slicing!

Ron_L
08-14-2007, 10:19 AM
It's pretty easy to do, but if you are knife-skills challenged you can buy one of these...

http://www.octodog.net/

frognot
08-14-2007, 10:26 AM
Gonna have to go buy some weinies & get practicing on carving me an Octo-dog. Too funny.

Hot dogs are my house are grilled then get chili, cheese, chopped red onions & mustard.

G$
08-14-2007, 10:31 AM
This:

Chris Nickelson
08-14-2007, 11:55 AM
1. burn the dogs until they become charcoal.
2. place charcoal dogs in fire.
3. place ribs on smoker
4. eat ribs while mourning the hot dogs.

FatDaddy
08-14-2007, 04:37 PM
cut up a package of hot dogs, put in bowl douse with kc masterpiece or kraft original nuke in microwave to 2 min. pull out and eat with a loaf of white bread. or grill em up and serve with mustard and lots of beer.

Ron_L
08-14-2007, 08:58 PM
1. burn the dogs until they become charcoal.
2. place charcoal dogs in fire.
3. place ribs on smoker
4. eat ribs while mourning the hot dogs.

http://smilies.zx6r.info/lachen/567.gif

Ron_L
08-14-2007, 09:00 PM
Gonna have to go buy some weinies & get practicing on carving me an Octo-dog. Too funny.

Step by step instructions
(http://homecooking.about.com/od/beef/ss/hdoctopussbs.htm)

qman
08-14-2007, 09:18 PM
http://smilies.zx6r.info/lachen/567.gif

I don't know how the heck you did that Ronelle, but

DITTO

Dale P
08-15-2007, 10:46 AM
I have always liked hotdogs grilled but Sunday I put some on the smoker and loved what that hickory smoke did to them.