PDA

View Full Version : BB Ribs on a Kettle?

Riskyguy
11-06-2011, 10:11 AM
My smoker isn't here yet but I want to do BB ribs today on a Weber kettle grill. Should I do them with indirect heat? Any other advice? Thanks in advance!

sandiegobbq
11-06-2011, 10:13 AM
You should have no problem with baby backs on the grill as baby backs can cook hotter than spares.

I would cook them indirect up to 350 degrees.

Use the toothpick test or the bend test to check for when they are done.

Should be a piece of cake.

Enjoy!

caseydog
11-06-2011, 10:18 AM
I did my ribs on the 22.5 kettle for years before I got a smoker.

Bank your unlit coals and a few wood chunks on one side of the coal grate, and a drip pan on the other. You will put your meat over the drip pan, and your lid vent above the meat.

Use the Minion method, placing 8 to 12 lit coals on top of the unlit coals and wood chunks -- the amount of lit coals varies with weather conditions.

When you get up to temperature, you will close the top and bottom vents down almost all the way -- again, weather conditions will effect how much you close the bottom vents. I leave my top vent open about 1/8 inch.

Use the bottom vents to adjust for swings in temperature, which will happen smoking on a kettle. I aimed for 250, but during the day, the temperatures swung from 220 to 300 on average. That's not a big deal on ribs cooked over several hours.

You will have to keep and eye on your temperatures, and make adjustments throughout the cook, but you can get some good results.

CD

Baby Back Maniac
11-06-2011, 10:24 AM
I started out doing my ribs in the kettle, then got a smoker, then went BACK to the kettle. They will be great.

el_matt
11-06-2011, 10:26 AM
^^^ what they said! They will cook faster on the kettle than they will on a smoker, at least that's been my experience.

Matt

Mister Bob
11-06-2011, 10:27 AM
I did these ribs on the Kettle. I think they turned out great. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108103 Check it out

landarc
11-06-2011, 10:31 AM
I cook on a kettle and ribs work out great. I would do what Casey Dog said

bustem55
11-06-2011, 11:56 AM
I've done ribs on both. Either way they are great. You can control your temps almost as easily on the kettle. Post some pics please.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

BigTony
11-06-2011, 12:40 PM
I've done ribs on a 22.5 kettle for years,and never foil them.Sometimes no rub,just smoke;my friends and I love them either way.I have done many racks on the WSM also,just as good.....CaseyDog's advice is spot on,but I often just cook them without much supervision beyond adding charcoal a couple times.
Best advice I can give is......cook!Experience comes with the effort,and your skills evolve accordingly.Happy Q! T