PDA

View Full Version : Pork (Shoulder) secrets from a MIM/MBN/GBA/FBA/KCBS competitor and judge

Lake Dogs
11-03-2011, 07:43 PM
Many of you know me from here on bbq-brethren. A few of you know me in person. I'd like to think that I'm known to be a good and accomplished competitor and a passionate barbecue judge. I am passionate about barbecue, chili, and competing at both. It's fun, but more than that it's a brotherhood. I lost a dear friend earlier this week to a massive heart attack. He competed in barbecue now and again, but he was known around the nation on the chili circuit. He fell while at Terlingua this week (the national championship).

I've shared just about everything that I've learned in barbecue here with brethren, and frankly I've learned more from brethren than I've taught/shared. The REAL secret to it all is this: It's a brotherhood. A family if you will. That's what it's all about. It's friends, sharing a beer, chatting one another up, camaraderie.

If you agree even somewhat and really enjoy bbq-brethren, I ask that you review the post from Dan on the following thread:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119436&page=4

No pressure whatsoever. None. However, if you'd like to help, please PM Ron_L (the big kahuna and moderator) and ask to join a group. You'll find out more there.

Thanks. God bless.

In the mean time, lets talk about pork secrets.

Boshizzle
11-03-2011, 07:57 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your friend. My condolences, bro.

I couldn't agree more about the camaraderie and I have been watching the thread you mention with feet (if you know what I mean)!

Now, as a BBQ judge well on my way to being a master CBJ, a graduate of Johnny Trigg's class and Rod Gray's class, and a student of the Brethren, my pork secret is keep it simple and eat and share it with people you love. That's all it needs.

Lake Dogs
11-03-2011, 07:58 PM
KISS theory at work. Great! People you love; A B S O L U T E L Y.

BBQ Bandit
11-03-2011, 08:10 PM
Can't agree more... and have put it in motion.
Everything about bbq... was learned and shared... among the Brethen.

[hot clean fire]
[Brethren supporting Brethren]
[Food, Friends, and Family]
OK... that's three.

landarc
11-04-2011, 02:49 AM
I have found that taking the time at the beginning allows you to be patient to the end, in all things, your BBQ will be so much better if you just allow enough time.

As for that group, I will post in that thread me thinks.

B-Lazy BBQ
11-04-2011, 03:24 AM
So sorry to hear about your good friend, may he be barbecuing for the Big Guy now and forever. Newer to these parts, but still old hat at what matters most-Family. Be it at home, over the phone, or on the internet...it's still Family. I don't have friends, I have acquaintances and I have Family.

As for pork secrets, all I know is cook it 'til it's done and get it while it's hot, and that has worked for me for lots of cooks.

Lake Dogs
11-04-2011, 09:31 AM
Even learning wood identification (or help therein). where to purchase this, or that.
I now have multiple Maverick ET's, I have loaded up on Blues Hog, and I use Butchers in beef religiously, all thanks to brethren. I would never have known about these otherwise.

Y'all seriously consider asking Ron_L to join that group, will you? You will thank yourself later.

JD McGee
11-04-2011, 09:38 AM
My condolences on the loss of your friend brother...
The one thing I have to share about pork butt is...you do not have to inject to win.

gtr
11-04-2011, 09:43 AM
Sorry to hear about your friend & I hear ya on the other thing.

All I gotta say about pork butt/shoulder is you just cook it till it gives up.

posey's_pork_pit
11-04-2011, 07:02 PM
Sorry about your friend Lake Dog ~ may he rest in peace.

Bump on the other subject!

deguerre
11-04-2011, 07:05 PM
Hance, my most humble condolences.

Lake Dogs
11-04-2011, 07:24 PM
This (this subject) isn't really about him (my friend who passed), but about someone else HERE and seeing if we can perhaps be an answer to prayers...

But, thanks. Ken Swart single handed brought CASI to Georgia. It's what he loved; competition, hanging out with friends, and cooking. We was excellent.

Lake Dogs
11-04-2011, 07:28 PM
Ok, sharing a secret. In my injection, we use:

Apple Juice
Worchestershire Sauce
a little of our/my rub

AND (the secret) Creole Butter

Boshizzle
11-04-2011, 07:57 PM

Apple Juice
Worchestershire Sauce
a little of our/my rub

I'm determined to cook a couple of butts this weekend and I'm trying that one. Thanks!

Lake Dogs
11-04-2011, 08:18 PM
We (the whole team) ran into the creole butter injection by accident, when judging one weekend. There was this one particular whole hog entry that tasted OUT OF SIGHT. As this was finals (top 3), I didnt know the teams but did know where they placed. They won, and when I asked them they showed me what he used.

I've since used it by itself. It's great by itself, but tends to clump/gather in one area and isn't very good there. So, we've thinned it by mixing it into our old recipe, and *voila* heaven on earth in an injection.

Gore
11-04-2011, 09:38 PM
We (the whole team) ran into the creole butter injection by accident, when judging one weekend. There was this one particular whole hog entry that tasted OUT OF SIGHT. As this was finals (top 3), I didnt know the teams but did know where they placed. They won, and when I asked them they showed me what he used.

I've since used it by itself. It's great by itself, but tends to clump/gather in one area and isn't very good there. So, we've thinned it by mixing it into our old recipe, and *voila* heaven on earth in an injection.

Well, that's a secret worth PMing Ron about!

Lake Dogs
11-04-2011, 09:48 PM
:idea:

TomB
11-05-2011, 04:42 AM
My pork has finished at the bottom of both contests I've entered so not sure If I can add much value. Am trying something new today - pearch marmalade in the wrap.

Gore
11-05-2011, 09:14 AM
I've never heard of pearch marmalade. I assume (and hope) it is a combination of pear and peach. That sounds really yummy (much better than a combination of peach and perch :shock:).

landarc
11-05-2011, 09:18 AM
I wouldn't knock peach and perch marmalade. Or joining Ronelle in a group

Gore
11-05-2011, 09:23 AM
I'm not knocking peach and perch marmalade. I think that's a good combination, but I just question using it on the pork. For an expert opinion on all types of perch marmalade, PM Ron.

Boshizzle
11-05-2011, 09:32 AM
OK, I'll share another secret though I don't thik it's a big secret. Add some lemon juice to the injection recipe.

boogiesnap
11-05-2011, 09:42 AM

Apple Juice
Worchestershire Sauce
a little of our/my rub

1) the important message was received and addressed. :thumb:
2) sorry to hear about your freind.

and waaay down the list in importance my questions...

what's your rub? :becky:
do you make or buy creole butter?

cpw
11-05-2011, 09:43 AM

Apple Juice
Worchestershire Sauce
a little of our/my rub

Is that creole butter like the injection you buy at the store?

PS. I joined the group.

Mister Bob
11-05-2011, 10:01 AM
Condolences on the loss of your friend and prayers for Dan.

As for the pork, if we're talking competition, here are a few thoughts:

1 - Fairly aggressive trimming around the money muscle gives you beautiful medallions later for presentation.
2 - Don't inject the money muscle if you're going to slice it, to avoid track marks (we inject everything else heavily)
3 - Take your pulled pork from the meat closest to the bone, avoid the whitest meat entirely, it's tougher and drier
4 - Keep the meat as warm as possible and pour on some very hot, very thin sauce right before it goes into the box.
5 - Peach nectar works very well with pork
6 - Bark is flavor, there's almost no such thing as too much rub on a pork butt

Lake Dogs
11-05-2011, 06:51 PM
Mister Bob, THANKS! Good "secrets"! We had a team practice today (and sauce tasting) for MBN and practiced pulling the bone (as in presentation) and then immediately going to the money muscle and pulling it out for the first, moist pulled pork pieces with great bark, then back into the meat closest to the bone (as you said).

B-Lazy BBQ
11-07-2011, 05:55 AM
I PM'ed ronelle (Ron_L) about the pearch injection, he said he formed a group to discuss this and other oddities of the BBQ world. Y'all should PM him also, very informative that group:thumb:

Lake Dogs
11-07-2011, 06:35 AM
Thanks B-Lazy and everyone else!!!

To the creole butter questions: I use "Cajun Injectors Creole Butter Marinade", but smaller amounts than apple juice, etc. Much smaller.