PDA

View Full Version : Am I cheating?

LittleDick'sBBQ
11-02-2011, 03:24 PM
I have used this Lexington pulled-pork recipe from America's Test Kitchen in the past with success. It starts with a 24-hour sit with a simple rub, followed by some time on the smoke (3 hours) in the 22.5 Weber Gold. It finishes foiled in a 325F oven for a few hours. I use my own sauce, but I spice it up with some apple cider vinegar.

Is this a clever combination of smoke/electric that I can start during my workday and finish when I get home ...or am just a dirty, shortcut-taking cheater?

http://www.cookscountry.com/recipes/Lexington-Style-Pulled-Pork-For-Charcoal-Grill/7711/?extcode=M00KSCR00

Ron_L
11-02-2011, 03:30 PM
Yes, and you should be shot.

:becky:

A lot of us foil butts or briskets at some point in the cook. Once the meat is in the foil heat is heat and it really doesn't matter if it comes from wood, charcoal or an oven.

Personally, I cook butts until the bark is a dark mahogany color before foiling, and that usually takes several hours at 250-ish degrees. The two hours in the recipe seems too short too me, but give it shot and see how it turns out.

BBQ Bandit
11-02-2011, 03:30 PM
You are not the only one to use the oven to finish off the cook.... as long you are not cooking for a comp.

Skidder
11-02-2011, 03:35 PM
Yup yer good to go. Meat is only gonna take so much smoke and like it was said your heat source makes no difference after you foil.

JD McGee
11-02-2011, 03:37 PM
Nope...you are not cheating...it's all good brother...- have finished off many a butt or briskie in the oven for catering gigs...just don't do it in a competition...bad juju! Now...if you start boiling ribs...THAT'S cheating...lol!

KnucklHed BBQ
11-02-2011, 03:42 PM
Bahh!! Cheating is half the fun!!
Anything we can do that makes it possible to have great Q at the end of the day is OK with me! And if it just isn't quite as good as it is when we take our time with it, well that just makes those cooks taste even better, dudn't it?

gtr
11-02-2011, 03:44 PM
If it tastes good, it is good and that's it! :thumb:

Esp. once yer in foil - heat is heat at that point. I don't normally foil, but I certainly won't deny myself a technique that comes in handy from time to time.

BigKev
11-02-2011, 03:49 PM
Thats exactly how I finish my Pork Shoulders when cooking at home. I figure why waste the more expensive cooking fuel after foiling as the meat isn't going to know the difference once sealed up. I usually preheat my oven to 225 about a 1/2 hour before I am going to foil, so its ready to go temp wise.

Jason TQ
11-02-2011, 04:50 PM
After foiling heat is heat. I've done it when my original sidebox smoker would give me temperature fits at the end of the cook and it was cold and I didn't want to deal with it :becky:.

Skidder
11-02-2011, 05:07 PM
Also don't forget who you guys are. Little Dirty Dicks BBQ and your from New England so rock it!!

southernstyle
11-02-2011, 05:33 PM
done this so many times. heat is heat brother. i do this when i dont have enough room on my smoker for the whole cook. its not uncommon for me to be finishing something foiled in the oven and have something on the smoker as well

BillywannaQ
11-02-2011, 07:06 PM
If I need pulled pork for Saturday, I'll put my butts on the smoker at around 6:00 pm on Friday night. I'll keep the some on it till around 1:00 am or until I'm ready to go to sleep. Before I go to bed, it goes in foil, in a roasting pan and in the oven overnight. Easy and good.

Cook
11-02-2011, 09:12 PM
No, don't feel bad for using the oven. If anyone takes exception to the fact, that's their problem. You're cooking at home and not trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes. Go for it.

I will not even get started on the whole "Lexington" bbq thing. Those magazine folks don't know their rear end from third base. Although i will admit they have a pretty decent & authentic sauce recipe.

EmilPatrick
11-02-2011, 11:00 PM
When I first starting bbqing I had a really cheap and flimsy offset that I could never keep a constant temp in. Whenever I cooked Briskets or Butts, I would stick them on the smoker for a few hours and then wrap and finish in the oven and thought they came out great.

As others have said, heat is heat!

Cloudsmoker
11-03-2011, 12:43 AM
Not cheating, in my book either. But if your going to stick it in the oven, just curious why you wouldnt dwell it at a lower temp.

BigTony
11-03-2011, 03:25 AM
I have the ATK Grilling and BBQ book,figured the oven finish will be my go-to method when the snow flies.I'm not the least bit concerned with convention-if it's cheatin',I'm still eatin'.T

CarolinaQue
11-03-2011, 04:31 AM
I can't remember the last time I didn't finish a butt or brisket this way when I'm just cooking for the family and friends!!! It frees up those last few hours so you can concentrate better on the other things you're making to go with the meal! It would be a different story if I had a set it and forget it type unit, but I don't...so I'll take the less complicated and involed process to finish it off after it goes in the foil every time!!!

Cook
11-03-2011, 06:08 AM
...if your going to stick it in the oven, just curious why you wouldnt dwell it at a lower temp.

There is no need for the lower temperature. What would you do, and why?

Bigfoot21075
11-03-2011, 07:28 AM
My Theory is this - whatever produces the absolute best quality food is the way to go. If I could prodce AMAZING pork in the microwave, i'd do it! Bottom line is the quality of the food is all that matters. So far the best pork still come off my smoker.... Nothing wrong with the oven..

BluesDaddy
11-03-2011, 02:01 PM
Not to be a contrarian, but to me you're cheating and should be drummed out of the brothers of bbq smoking!!:razz:

CarolinaQue
11-03-2011, 02:04 PM
Is he cheating or being smart??? If it's not a contest or an onsite paying gig...how is he cheating? Once a piece of meat is in foil, what difference does it make where the heat comes from?