PDA

View Full Version : A Fair Trade

Cack
11-01-2011, 07:20 AM
My g/f and I have gotten pretty serious, and the big "M" word has been thrown around a good bit lately. She says she's ready for "something shiny" whenever I'm ready to buy one. The question is, is it a fair trade that she gets something shiny, and I get something matte black, on tires, gets really hot, and smells of burnt wood and great food?

Grabnabber
11-01-2011, 07:24 AM
Get the smoker anyway... :-P

Garyclaw
11-01-2011, 07:32 AM
.............must be of equeal value:-D

nexpress
11-01-2011, 07:37 AM
Sounds fair to me, but I've been married for 10 years. Buy it if she gives you any grief about it you'll know what the future has in store for you.

eddieh70301
11-01-2011, 07:48 AM
Buy the smoker first then buy her the shiney thing. If you wait, then you will never get that thing on wheels.

davet54
11-01-2011, 07:54 AM
Get her a shiney smoker, then you are both happy. :idea:

southernstyle
11-01-2011, 07:56 AM
buy b oth at the same time. place the "shiney thing" on a grate and have her lift the door. try to catch it on video then post here.

Lake Dogs
11-01-2011, 07:57 AM
.............must be of equeal value:-D

Think: CUBIC ZIRCONIA

+1500 to the smoker fund

swamprb
11-01-2011, 08:02 AM
Once they get a shiny ring on that finger they lose their mind! Next thing you know you are out there looking at dresses, place settings, and wallpaper boarders and for the "little one on the way".

Get your cooker now! While you still can!

OutlawSwine
11-01-2011, 08:02 AM
Get the cooker now or you never will. When you give her a ring, she has the rest of your life to take the rest of your money. :-P

1FUNVET
11-01-2011, 08:17 AM
Get the smoker 1st and do like my dad did. When he married my step-mom he bought 10 acres and needed a tractor. He had "Lois's diamond" painted on the hood and gave her the tractor.She told everyone that she got a blue diamond(the color of the Long tractor)for a wedding present.:becky:

Kings over Queens
11-01-2011, 08:44 AM
Get her a shiney smoker, then you are both happy. :idea:Nothing says "I love you" more than stainless dimaond plating. :clap2:

sitnfat
11-01-2011, 09:01 AM
If you have to trade out to get what you want I wouldn't even bother getting a ring.

Cack
11-01-2011, 09:05 AM
So a few of you are picking up the humor here. My g/f is actually cool as hell. We were in a Harley dealership a few months back, and while I was drooling over a new bike she's goes "hunny if you want a hog get one ... wait, I mean after you buy me something shiny you can buy whatever you want." haha

CircleW
11-01-2011, 09:05 AM
I think that Stumps makes an all Stainless model... you could get her "something shiny" and have your smoker too! :becky:

AUradar
11-01-2011, 09:15 AM
if ya'll break up the engament, do you get the ring back and she get the cooker?

razrbakcrzy
11-01-2011, 09:32 AM
Run, run away as fast as you can.... Marriage is a hole in space into which all of your money gets sucked..... Run!

Just kidding!! Been married 25 years, it can be the best thing in your life if you get the right one. If you both use level heads when trying times come up and they will come up you will be fine.... Good luck and buy the smoker now!!!

big brother smoke
11-01-2011, 09:41 AM
Hint: If you are marrying the right one get the ring and then off to get your smoker of choice.

Steve W
11-01-2011, 09:43 AM
Get her a 20 pound bag of "baby diamonds" with the deal.

Tell her that all she'll need to do is apply some heat and pressure! :twisted:

In all seriousness, wishing the best!

aquablue22
11-01-2011, 10:15 AM
Run Forrest Run.......If you get Cubic she'll rush down and get it appraised, for insurance purposes of course (actually to find out exactly what you paid) and then you'll never get that smoker! happened to this knucklehead friend of mine!

Get the smoker and start smoking!

brog315
11-01-2011, 10:21 AM
Lol, this sounds similar to my girlfriend. I decided to go with building a smoker before getting something shiny. I figured it would be a lot easier to get away with building the rig I want beforehand. She still likes to remind me that my money could be spent on something prettier everytime a new piece of the build arrives. We'll just have to chalk it up to difference of opinion.

tburda
11-01-2011, 10:54 AM
Once they get a shiny ring on that finger they lose their mind! Next thing you know you are out there looking at dresses, place settings, and wallpaper boarders and for the "little one on the way".

Get your cooker now! While you still can!

"We can't afford for you to buy a stupid grill right now, we've got to save to pay for the reception, caterer, dj......:blah::blah::blah:"

Take it from the few of us with experience. Get the smoker first.

tburda
11-01-2011, 10:56 AM
So a few of you are picking up the humor here. My g/f is actually cool as hell. We were in a Harley dealership a few months back, and while I was drooling over a new bike she's goes "hunny if you want a hog get one ... wait, I mean after you buy me something shiny you can buy whatever you want." haha

Yeah and I think a lot of us are just using this as an excuse to vent for some of our own mistakes haha.

BBQ Bandit
11-01-2011, 10:59 AM
There's many ideas and many reasons that can go downhill in a hot-second or sink in quicksand... slow and painful.

Due to real world scenarios... a short list of quick questions that will open or shut many options.
Does she want kids? How soon?
Will she support/agree to a (future) comp budget and equipment?

Cack
11-01-2011, 01:20 PM
Yeah and I think a lot of us are just using this as an excuse to vent for some of our own mistakes haha.

Haha yeah I've noticed

Cack
11-01-2011, 01:21 PM
There's many ideas and many reasons that can go downhill in a hot-second or sink in quicksand... slow and painful.

Due to real world scenarios... a short list of quick questions that will open or shut many options.
Does she want kids? How soon?
Will she support/agree to a (future) comp budget and equipment?

She does, but not for a few years after we get married. I'm warming her up to the idea of doing a little competition BBQing once it get the feel of it.

eddieh70301
11-01-2011, 01:25 PM
Well, if she says you can get a HOG, then she must be pretty good. Get the HOG and a smoker and then get her a ring all at the same time.
so you will be ahead 2-1.

QDoc
11-01-2011, 01:35 PM
buy her a nice shiney FEC 100!!!!

caliking
11-01-2011, 01:47 PM
Before we got married, we were planning on buying a condo. I told her that i could get her a nice ring... or we would have more money to buy a place with an extra bedroom (the numbers don't match up I know). I was kinda kidding at the time. She quietly said she didn't want the ring, she would rather have the extra bedroom. I knew I had picked a winner right then ! Went and got the ring a few days later.

Now that I think of it, she's smarter than I thought... 'coz we got the bigger condo *and* she got the ring (which she probably knew would happen anyways). Doh! :doh:

Anyways, 8 yrs later, she puts up with all my quirks, doesn't roll her eyes at me as much, and puts up only token resistance whenever I buy a new grill or BBQ equipment/gadgets!

[Also, when I popped the question officially, her mom thought it was unfair that I had give her something so expensive, so when we got married, she had a diamond man-ring made for me... which I still don't know how/when I'm supposed to wear].

chambersuac
11-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Let's review, shall we?
1. You are not married yet - nor engaged, it seems.
2. Your money is your money. You may spend it now anyway YOU want.
3. If exercising number 2 above causes problems, then number 1 above should not change status.

Seriously, if you have the money for both, then I see no problem. I'd buy the smoker first, then make her a great meal and then give her a ring.

Blessings on wherever your relationship goes...

Cack
11-01-2011, 06:13 PM
I just wish we could get this group together around a fire (pit smoker) with some (many) adult beverages and shoot the chit

boogiesnap
11-01-2011, 06:50 PM
not a fair trade.

the ring is a gift...a painful to purchase, expression of sacrifice and commitment, gift.

use the smoker $ for bigger, better ring.

if she's all that, she'll find the funds to return the thought. which she sounds like she is, sooooo, make the commitment! :thumb:

twinsfan
11-01-2011, 07:29 PM
Hmmm, you could just give her a smoke ring! :idea:

speedrcer1
11-01-2011, 07:51 PM
Yeah, a smoke ring aint gonna cut it.
Buy both the same day. She will be so excited about the ring, she won't care about the cooker.
Because for the next months to a year, all energy and $$ will go all over the place for invitations, cocktail hours gifts...... And none for anything fun!
Sounds like she's a keeper though.
Luck and blessings with both!
:thumb:

azken
11-01-2011, 08:01 PM
Buy a hog to ride, buy a hog cooker to eat from, move both into your own sty, you are now in hog heaven. You can now transport her, feed her, and provide a roof over her head. If she still needs something shiny buy her a tiara and she'll be the queen of it all.

RevZiLLa
11-02-2011, 03:07 AM
Include the smoker in the pre-nup!

Sammy_Shuford
11-02-2011, 03:42 AM
Buy the big smoker, pack the shiney ring IN THE SMOKER, Show her smoker, let her find ring! Now smoker is good thing because tha's where she found the ring!

WvSmoke
11-02-2011, 04:17 AM
If you get her a shiny ring, make sure it comes with a shiny key to unlock the ball and chain. :wink:

NRA4Life
11-02-2011, 07:49 AM
I'm on my second marriage. The reality of it all is, 50% of marriages fail. The best advice I have doesn't involve buying or not buying a ring, marrying or not marrying, or making purchase deals with the future Mrs....my advice is to make sure the smoker is a PRE-MARITAL asset. Get what you want NOW so it is not an asset that the value of may have to be split in the future. Good luck and I wish you all the best in finding the happiness that you seek, and a long and happy marriage.

pinkelephant
11-02-2011, 07:59 AM
Its a lot easier asking for forgivness than asking for permission. git-r-done while your still free!!