PDA

View Full Version : Charcoal grate warped

chargriller
05-27-2005, 09:54 AM
It seems that after using my fire box on the chargriller the charcoal grate that sits in the ash pan is all warped it seems to bow down where the hot charcoal sits.

I can bend it back into place but it still droops. Last time I used it I put the grill grate that came with the firebox and sat it above the ash pan and this seemed to work just great.

I would love to make a better grate, but I do not know how to weld or even know where to find the material to use. I did read some of the files and seen some stuff I would like to try but not knowing how to weld I am stuck.

Does anyone know how I could make a new firebox grate that would sit above the ash pan, and do this with out welding?

Thanks for the help.

jt
05-27-2005, 10:12 AM
Pick up some expanded steel. Do you have a circular saw or a grinder? You can get a metal-cutting wheel for either and then cut the steel to the dimensions you want. Without support it's going to sag but not as badly as the stock grate. I've had the same one in my Bandera for over a year now without support. I'll probably replace it soon with something else but it still works well.

Jorge
05-27-2005, 10:20 AM
The pic should give you the basics. Something to cut the metal with as JT suggested, a drill, and a couple of wrenches. Everything should be easily found at a Lowes, Home Depot, or other hardware/home improvement store.

[/img]

chargriller
05-27-2005, 10:24 AM
Could I find this expanded steel at a Lowes or Menards?

Is there only one kind of expanded steel, or is there a certian one I need to get since I am going to use it for cooking with? not sure if this is coated.

But this is exactly what I am looking for, thanks for the help. I will keep you posted on my mod.

Any help I can get to make the fire stay slow and low with out geting choked out works for me.

Jorge
05-27-2005, 10:33 AM
Could I find this expanded steel at a Lowes or Menards?

Is there only one kind of expanded steel, or is there a certian one I need to get since I am going to use it for cooking with? not sure if this is coated.

But this is exactly what I am looking for, thanks for the help. I will keep you posted on my mod.

Any help I can get to make the fire stay slow and low with out geting choked out works for me.

http://www.bandera-brethren.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=860&highlight=expanded+metal+inch

This should help.

brdbbq
05-27-2005, 10:36 AM
Search and Destroy Mod

Bill-Chicago
05-27-2005, 11:52 AM
Pick up some expanded steel. Do you have a circular saw or a grinder? You can get a metal-cutting wheel for either and then cut the steel to the dimensions you want. Without support it's going to sag but not as badly as the stock grate. I've had the same one in my Bandera for over a year now without support. I'll probably replace it soon with something else but it still works well.

Jigsaw with a metal cutting blade goes through it like budda

PS, wear safety goggles

Arlin_MacRae
05-27-2005, 01:45 PM
I just picked up everything I need to do this mod this weekend.
One question: the only washers I found were galvanized and zinc-coated. I know galvy is bad stuff, but what about the zinc?

Arlin

chargriller
05-27-2005, 02:36 PM
I went on a search for materials but did not find anything.

Went to Lowes and all they had was 1/2in 13gage, but this did not seem sturdy for what I wanted.

Called some construction places and found a 3/4in 9gage 4x8foot cost $55. I only need 24x24in and cut to size.

What gage should I get?

I did not think this would be a tough project, any more ideas where to find the material I need?

Arlin_MacRae
05-27-2005, 02:45 PM
I picked up 16 gauge sheet steel for the baffle mod and it looks pretty good. Anything thicker than that and it will be tough to bend, methinks.
The expanded metal I got was 3/4", but I'm not sure what they mean since no real dimension is 3/4"....

jt
05-27-2005, 03:22 PM

Went to Lowes and all they had was 1/2in 13gage, but this did not seem sturdy for what I wanted.

Called some construction places and found a 3/4in 9gage 4x8foot cost $55. I only need 24x24in and cut to size.

What gage should I get?

I did not think this would be a tough project, any more ideas where to find the material I need?
When you say construction places, did you try a welding and machine shop? Many of them will cut you a piece to fit. I got the 9 gauge. For the Bandera I think I needed a 16" wide piece and they had that. So they cut me a few feet of it, enough for 2. I took it home and cut that in half and the spare is in the barn. So look in the yellow pages for welding, etc and see if they'll cut you a piece or if they have any scrap that would work.

chargriller
05-27-2005, 03:34 PM
I tried one welding shop, but will look at more and also the machine shop thing.

Thanks

thillin
05-27-2005, 04:09 PM

What gage should I get?

Ask if they have any in the scrap(trimmings) pile. That's how I got mine. Some metal shops do fab on the side. Ask around and check yellow pages. They place I used had about 5 different sizes of expanded steel.

Where are you located, maybe we could help you locate a place.

chargriller
05-27-2005, 04:16 PM
I am located in Sioux City, IA.

If there are any other brothers here from Iowa chime in I would like to have a Breathren bash, and learn from you all.

Thanks for all your help guys.

nmayeux
05-27-2005, 07:18 PM
I just used the cheap stuff from Lowes, and it works just fine. However, I made a stand using 1/4" pipe fittings. Although your fire box is round, it should work fine. PM me if you want any more info.

nmayeux
05-27-2005, 07:18 PM
Sorry, here is the stand.

BigAl
05-27-2005, 10:25 PM
Vigra MOD

evilpsych
05-30-2005, 06:32 PM
wait a minute... substituting rebar for that flimsy expanded metal and whiz-bang stand isnt an option??? you know.. kinda like Al's basket?

jgh1204
05-30-2005, 07:04 PM
I am sure that just LOOKS like galvanized pipe.

nmayeux
05-30-2005, 07:54 PM
Its black iron pipe, bead blasted and scrubbed. No galvanized in my cooking equip!

jgh1204
05-30-2005, 08:32 PM
Just wanted to clear that up, if someone saw that, they might think galvanized.

dapittboss
05-30-2005, 09:37 PM
Noah, I like the stand idea using pipe. What size did you use? It looks great. I made a basket, but I really need a stand to raise it up a little better. I don't have access to bead blasting really, but what do you think of using copper pipe? I use it in my lauter ton for my beer making setup, and it would be easy to work with, I'm just not sure about the temps it would be exposed to.

thillin
05-30-2005, 10:31 PM
Noah, I like the stand idea using pipe. What size did you use? It looks great. I made a basket, but I really need a stand to raise it up a little better. I don't have access to bead blasting really, but what do you think of using copper pipe? I use it in my lauter ton for my beer making setup, and it would be easy to work with, I'm just not sure about the temps it would be exposed to.

Some people use stainless bolts as legs. Exampl: 4 inch bolts through bottom of basket, nuts and flat washers used to connect to basket.

You could use 3-5 inch bolts. Just be sure to get all stainless supplies. Don't know which is cheaper.

mrkkti
05-31-2005, 08:33 AM
I used rebar and welded a grate...it hasn't bent yet!

Arlin_MacRae
05-31-2005, 02:56 PM
I made a new fire grate this weekend, using the plans here on our site. Worked like a champ.
I don't know if it was the printer's fault or what, but my template for a new baffle was WAY too small so I started making one of my own design.
Ran outta time before I could finish it. Ended up beating on the bolts twixt smoke chamber and fire box just before I had to light the fire.
Oh well, later in the week I'll give it another shot.

nmayeux
05-31-2005, 07:12 PM
I used 1/4" fittings, and the only reason that I bead blasted them was to remove the cosmoline used to prevent rust while in storage. Copper would be fine, but use threaded fittings as they are stronger. You could probably go as large as 3/8" fittings. It seems that the support added prevents sagging, as I have had several fires now, and no sagging at all. Also, I have less than $20.00 in all my mods. This setup adds about 2 and a half inches of space for ash collection.
Noah

nmayeux
05-31-2005, 07:19 PM
I made a new fire grate this weekend, using the plans here on our site. Worked like a champ.
I don't know if it was the printer's fault or what, but my template for a new baffle was WAY too small so I started making one of my own design.
Ran outta time before I could finish it. Ended up beating on the bolts twixt smoke chamber and fire box just before I had to light the fire.
Oh well, later in the week I'll give it another shot.
Mr. MacRae,
Here are the plans for the baffle that I used for my smoker. Although the picture is not to scale, the measurements are dead on, and I had to do no adjusting even though I have a BSKD. Good luck,
Noah

Arlin_MacRae
06-01-2005, 09:23 AM
Wow, Noah - that's a heckuva design! Since I've got no metal bender I'm opting for the hammer-and-anvil method, so mine is pretty simple.

Can someone put Noah's design in the files section? That's a keeper.

Arlin

nmayeux
06-01-2005, 05:43 PM
Wow, Noah - that's a heckuva design! Since I've got no metal bender I'm opting for the hammer-and-anvil method, so mine is pretty simple.

Can someone put Noah's design in the files section? That's a keeper.

Arlin
All I used was a pair of tin snips, hammer, vice, and my knee. I did use brass shim stock as it was what I had on hand, but it does not have to be heavy gauge to work well.
Noah