PDA

View Full Version : Sauce or No Sauce for Pulled Pork?

jmill88
10-26-2011, 10:43 PM
I'm helping out a few friends with a comp this weekend and I'm in charge of the pulled pork. I never sauce mine at home, but figure I need something for the comp. Anyone care to share what you do as far as sauce for a competition?

OakPit
10-26-2011, 10:45 PM
Try something sweet with a vinegar twang - Carolina style. Sweet is typical at contests; look how Blues Hog did at the Jack Daniels recently.

Boshizzle
10-26-2011, 10:47 PM
50/50 Blues Hog Original and Blues Hog Tennessee Red seems to be a favorite.

tamadrummer
10-26-2011, 11:01 PM
I have not had the Blues Hog stuff but one of the best sauces/glazes I have had so far is the sticky fingers BBQ Memphis sauce and the Carolina is awesome too.

I do not compete so you are better off listening to the competitors for that kind of advice but for backyard BBQ, try the sticky fingers brand stuff.

jmill88
10-26-2011, 11:34 PM
50/50 Blues Hog Original and Blues Hog Tennessee Red seems to be a favorite.

I know it does well, but I am just not a huge fan of Blues Hog. I guess it isn't about what I like, but what the judges are looking for though.

Lake Dogs
10-27-2011, 06:12 AM
jmill88, tell me a little about the competition. Sanctioned or not? What sanctioning body?

Unsanctioned most anything goes and it's a crap shoot. If you sauce, make darned sure that the sauce that you use goes very well with the rub. I cannot tell you how many times (like 80% of the time) I sample barbecue where the sauce flavors conflict with the injection or rubs.

I see you're in MO. I doubt it's MBN, but if it is they allow sauce on the side; multiples. I would do that. It gives the judges the option of how much sauce to use and which sauce to use.

If sanctioned, research the sanctioning body and see if they allow sauce on the side. if so, do that. If they allow 2, then present 2. Choices are generally a good thing, as long as the sauce goes.

Know that the sauce should compliment the flavors of the meat, not overpower it. That's another mistake many newer teams make; the only flavor is in the sauce. The smart judge will pick-up on this and even with a great sauce you'll be scored down.

Best of luck!

southernstyle
10-27-2011, 06:22 AM
try this. http://www.bigpapasbarbecue.com/mix the regular or sweet with a little blues hog tenn red

tmehlhorn
10-27-2011, 07:24 AM
I dont like sauced pulled pork. If it is sauced it should be a very small amount of a vinegar based sauce, you wantt the flavor of the pork to stand out. Me i pull mine and keep the juices let it sit about five or ten minutes and pour juices back over meat. The cooling meat seams to soak up the juice nicely. Not sure about the comp if just serving the pork or sandwiches etc. ? If sandwiches what i do is a really good bun, then i make up a batch of patio dadios sweet and tangy slaw and put some of that on top. Its a vinegar based slaw and the juices run down into the meat. It really is wonderful. Good luck to ya let us know what you do, some pron would be nice to.:becky:

jmill88
10-27-2011, 08:24 AM
The contest is judged in accordance with the St. Louis BBQ society.

Cook
10-27-2011, 09:47 AM
Try something sweet with a vinegar twang - Carolina style.

There is nothing sweet about Carolina style...if it's the Old North State you're referring to.

deguerre
10-27-2011, 10:00 AM
There is nothing sweet about Carolina style...if it's the Old North State you're referring to.

Yep. Vinegar, cayenne (Lots!), a little salt and maybe a couple other things? But NO sugar!

fingerlickin'
10-27-2011, 10:12 AM
Anyone else ever make Bob Gibson's "Pig Dip" recipe from his book? I love that stuff. I'm not sure I would mix it in with the pulled pork for fear not everyone would like it but it's excellent as a condiment on the sammy.

I guess I should say Chris Lilly's "Pig Dip" recipe from his Big Bob Gibson BBQ book.

deguerre
10-27-2011, 10:19 AM
Anyone else ever make Bob Gibson's "Pig Dip" recipe from his book? I love that stuff. I'm not sure I would mix it in with the pulled pork for fear not everyone would like it but it's excellent as a condiment on the sammy.

I guess I should say Chris Lilly's "Pig Dip" recipe from his Big Bob Gibson BBQ book.

Yep.
And it IS Big Bob's original recipe that Chris Lilly has carried on.

http://i1041.photobucket.com/albums/b414/redhot696/Sauce-4.jpg

Cack
10-27-2011, 10:29 AM
Being in the south I'd say SAUCE. If you can see dry pork ... add more sauce

deguerre
10-27-2011, 10:59 AM

Heck. I'M from the South and if the pulled pork is good, it don't need no sauce at all. Mebbe a little vinegar slaw though. :becky:

OutlawSwine
10-27-2011, 11:05 AM
Heck. I'M from the South and if the pulled pork is good, it don't need no sauce at all. Mebbe a little vinegar slaw though. :becky:

^^^^ What he said. :-D

SirPorkaLot
10-27-2011, 11:06 AM

Them folks in SC :roll: :doh:

Heck they think BBQ sauce is mustard based down there.

When folks talk Carolina sauce, they are typically talking NC sauce, and this comes in two varieties.
Eastern, NC or Lexington, NC sauce.
Both are nothing but Apple cider vinegar, hot sauce, a little brown sugar, some red pepper flakes, and some tomato influence (Lexington only)

This is used as a complement to the pork, and should never ever take center stage. (always on the side)

My standing rule: If i have to use BBQ sauce - i screwed the cook up somewhere in the process.

My vote = No Sauce :cop:

Terry The Toad
10-27-2011, 07:24 PM
I recently took a BBQ judging class - and as part of the class we judged a contest. Man, the pulled pork entries really ran the gamut. There was one entry that was swimming in sauce. Yikes!

I can definitely say MY taste runs to little or no sauce.

qnbiker
10-30-2011, 01:22 PM
Great with or without. If I'm saucin', I prefer a vinegar based sauce.

NS Mike D
10-30-2011, 01:28 PM
can you win competitions with no sauce

or not sweet sauces?

and specifically for the OP:

The contest is judged in accordance with the St. Louis BBQ society.

Lake Dogs
10-30-2011, 01:35 PM
can you win competitions with no sauce

or not sweet sauces?

Going back to my original question, the answer depends partly on the sanctioning body and then the region that you're competing. For example, last weekend here in middle Georgia, MBN sanctioned competition the whole hog winner and the shoulder winner presented without sauce. Some had sauce on the side, but the meat itself wasnt sauced. Yes, many win without any sauce whatsoever. There are regions that fully expect sauce. This is just one of the things you'll learn (in your area) if you judge a few contests. See what's presented, what works, what doesn't, and why.

deepsouth
10-30-2011, 04:12 PM
vinegar sauce, no tomatoes.