PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Menu?

rbinms33
05-26-2005, 01:13 PM
Ok.....so what's on everybody's menu this weekend? Just finalized the grocery list and gave it to the wifey. Here's what I was thinking so far:

Saturday

20# Chicken Quarters
10# Chicken Wings
Mac n Cheese
French Bread

Sunday

2 dozen ABTs
3 dozen BWWCs (Bacon Wrapper Water Chestnuts)
1 dozen Snicker Stuffed Apples
2 Boston Butts
15 slabs Babyback Ribs
2 half pans baked beans
Potato Salad
Slaw

Feeding five families with that. Monday I was thinking about trying my hand at some beef ribs if I can find some around here. Watching the Beef Ribs thread to pick up some tips on prepping.

So what's gonna be in your smoker this weekend?

chad
05-26-2005, 01:18 PM
We're taking the travel trailer to O'Leno State Park up near Gainesville - and I'm taking the WSM.

Probably do some steaks Saturday and ribs on Sunday. Monday is traveling back home.

brdbbq
05-26-2005, 01:18 PM
Charcoal and wood. :mrgreen:

Bigmista
05-26-2005, 01:22 PM
No cooking this weekend. It's MrsMista's birthday on Sunday so I am taking her here:

http://www.thepierpontinn.com

No cooking until Monday.

MikeG
05-26-2005, 01:24 PM
Going to Destin, Fla for the weekend.
Smoking a ham, fatties and link sausage.
Gonna grill Amberjack Saturday night...eat
a lot of raw oysters...and have some spirits and
enjoy the view.
Mikeg

Bill-Chicago
05-26-2005, 01:25 PM
No cooking this weekend. It's MrsMista's birthday on Sunday so I am taking her here:

No cooking until Monday.

I gotta "no website found" message.

Bigmista
05-26-2005, 01:29 PM

No cooking until Monday.

I gotta "no website found" message.

My bad. No "the".

http://www.pierpontinn.com

rbinms33
05-26-2005, 01:36 PM
Charcoal and wood.

Heheheheheh.....put a lighter fluid marinade on the charcoal and finish off the wood with a burnt ash glaze, right?

Arlin_MacRae
05-26-2005, 01:39 PM

No cooking until Monday.

Give MrsMista a big Brethren-style birthday hug!!

I'm going to be allllll alone from tomorrow afternoon till Sunday evening so I'm going to cook a brisket, some fatties, and a butt or two on Sunday.
Ahh, peace and quiet.....

brdbbq
05-26-2005, 01:40 PM
Charcoal and wood.

Heheheheheh.....put a lighter fluid marinade on the charcoal and finish off the wood with a burnt ash glaze, right?

I wasn't being a smartarse, you have not been around in awhile to listen to the grief I have put up with. TRUST ME

Jorge
05-26-2005, 01:50 PM
Charcoal and wood.

I wasn't being a smartarse, you have not been around in awhile to listen to the grief I have put up with. TRUST ME

Slovacek or Jollypeno?

dapittboss
05-26-2005, 01:58 PM
I'm thinking ribs, pork & beef.

rbinms33
05-26-2005, 02:15 PM

Yeah, I thought you were trying to be funny and I was gonna keep it going.....my bad.

brucesieg
05-26-2005, 02:35 PM
my menu isn whatever poobahs making, however i may surprise him by bringing my famous cheddar filled hamburgers.

chad
05-26-2005, 02:37 PM
I'm thinking you'll have pickles for appetizers. :twisted:

jsmoker
05-26-2005, 02:47 PM
Wife just called and said that she's buying up all the meat for the weekend and that I am to "cook what's in front of me". I guess I can live with that! No idea what pile of carnivorous habits will be laid out, but at least I know the beer and fire will be good!

brdbbq
05-26-2005, 02:57 PM
Charcoal and wood.

Slovacek or Jollypeno?

Slovacek Last night. Butt and Brisket coming up

rbinms33
05-26-2005, 03:17 PM
I'm thinking you'll have pickles for appetizers.

Yeah.....but surely Phil won't serve 'em plain.....they'll be wrapped in bacon or deep fried or something.

jt
05-26-2005, 03:21 PM
At this time? Nothin'. However, I was asked to cook for a reception at work. We won the Ivy Award - big time national award for foodservice - and they're throwing a little party for all the management staff. So I'm doing pulled pork and pulled chicken for 60+. Asst Director is gonna do his "special recipe for brisket" (read as 'oven-baked'). Current plan is 4 butts which I'll do Tuesday and then 6 birds on Wednesday right before the meal.

Always nice to cook for people who've been through Chef school. :roll:

BAG3
05-26-2005, 09:16 PM
Thawing 10 lbs of chicken, pork loin, country style rib experiment, and a fattie! Finally at home enough to COOK!!!
Thank you Uncle Sam!!

Hey Brian, no word from you, what is going on . You always know how to get hold of me!

frognot
05-26-2005, 10:17 PM
Brisket & a couple racks baby-backs & a couple fatties.

MrSmoker
05-26-2005, 10:45 PM
Went to Costco today for some Brisket flats to try for my event june 17th,i wasn't impressed with the selection.I may go back to the packer cut that i've been getting at Smart & Final.Also thawing some Babybacks and fatties. Worked on my Bandera / BSKD today getting it ready to transport.Will have some pictures soon(waiting for a logo :wink: )Have a safe weekend my Brothers :!:

BoarneSupremacy
05-26-2005, 10:52 PM
Going to be out of town in KC most of the weekend...so, won't be doing much...

I *WILL* be heading to Jack's Stack in KC to sample some fine BBQ, though.

kcquer
05-27-2005, 07:01 AM
Jack's Stack in KC to sample some fine BBQ,

This is an excellent place to go eat KC Q. Notice I said great place to eat Q, keep in mind nothing in the realm of resturant Q stands up to Brethern standards. When cooking for a profit corners get cut. The meats won't be bad (especially at the Martin City Location) but it won't be what you're used to.
Take home a couple bottles of their KC Spicy Sauce, it rocks on brisket!!!

BoarneSupremacy
05-27-2005, 07:12 AM
This is an excellent place to go eat KC Q. Notice I said great place to eat Q, keep in mind nothing in the realm of resturant Q stands up to Brethern standards. When cooking for a profit corners get cut. The meats won't be bad (especially at the Martin City Location) but it won't be what you're used to.

My parents live in Lee's Summit. I've driven through Harrisonville on 291 off of 71 numerous times from Little Rock for a visit. I usually only see Harrisonville at about 1 AM on the way up and 9 AM on the morning back.

We're only there for the weekend. I've been thinking Jack's Stack, but I'm open to any other place you can suggest if there's something better.

I'll grab some sauce if we stick to JS.

Thanks.

nmayeux
05-27-2005, 07:39 AM
No smoke this weekend, but maybe a pot of jambalaya with pulled pork, chicken, and andouille. Also a pot of boiled peanuts, and a couple of pitchers of margaritas!
Noah

rbinms33
05-27-2005, 08:15 AM
but maybe a pot of jambalaya with pulled pork, chicken, and andouille.

Funny you should mention jambalaya. We just did a shrimp boil the other weekend and I was thinking how cool it would be to have some jambalaya on the side. I've got the 80 qt stockpot like you that I do the shrimp in but could you fire up another burner right next to it with the Turkey pot (or wing fryer) for the jambalaya? Or is it better cooked on the stovetop? I'm looking for a good recipe if you got one.

jt
05-27-2005, 09:03 AM
No smoke this weekend, but maybe a pot of jambalaya with pulled pork, chicken, and andouille. Also a pot of boiled peanuts, and a couple of pitchers of margaritas!
Noah
Wonder if I can get to Marietta this weekend...

kcquer
05-27-2005, 09:13 AM
Probably some chicken breasts, and some beef ribs I picked up last week.

nmayeux
05-27-2005, 07:43 PM

Funny you should mention jambalaya. We just did a shrimp boil the other weekend and I was thinking how cool it would be to have some jambalaya on the side. I've got the 80 qt stockpot like you that I do the shrimp in but could you fire up another burner right next to it with the Turkey pot (or wing fryer) for the jambalaya? Or is it better cooked on the stovetop? I'm looking for a good recipe if you got one.
The turkey fryer will work fine, but it helps to have a cast iron dutch oven. My friends have an electric stove, so I like to use my turkey fryer at their house. Also, the dutch oven is great because you can cook a large amount, without worrying about burning the bottom.

As far as a recipe, I usually make a light roux(peanut butter color) in the dutch oven, then add 2 cups chopped onion, celery, and green pepper (each), with 1 bunch chopped green peppers. When the onions begin to become transparent, I add fresh pressed garlic, and 1/2 cup spices(salt, cayenne, cumin, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, parsley flakes, and 3 bay leaves) I have never measured the spices, so just play with them. Add 4 cups rice and cook until veggies are just about liquified. Add meat (2 to 3lbs, usually leftovers including shrimp, sausage, chicken, pork, beer etc.), and 3 cans chicken stock, and three cans beef stock. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to as low as possible. Cook for about an hour until the rice is done. Serves about 10, and nothing is set in stone accept the veggies, so feel free to experiment.

We have family in Pass Christian, how far is that from you?
Noah

scottm4300
05-27-2005, 08:11 PM
My weekend is more of a cook out than Q. Family deal tomorrow at my sister in law's house. Her husband and I are going fishing at 4:30 tomorrow morning, then going back to their house to cook burgers and dogs for the kids, brats, and we're doing some bacon wrapped scallops on the grill along with some asparagus and a couple of trout.

Might be the first weekend that the SKD gets a rest since I bought it! Of course there's always Sunday and Monday, so anything could happen!!

Bigmista
05-27-2005, 09:00 PM

The turkey fryer will work fine, but it helps to have a cast iron dutch oven. My friends have an electric stove, so I like to use my turkey fryer at their house. Also, the dutch oven is great because you can cook a large amount, without worrying about burning the bottom.

As far as a recipe, I usually make a light roux(peanut butter color) in the dutch oven, then add 2 cups chopped onion, celery, and green pepper (each), with 1 bunch chopped green peppers. When the onions begin to become transparent, I add fresh pressed garlic, and 1/2 cup spices(salt, cayenne, cumin, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, parsley flakes, and 3 bay leaves) I have never measured the spices, so just play with them. Add 4 cups rice and cook until veggies are just about liquified. Add meat (2 to 3lbs, usually leftovers including shrimp, sausage, chicken, pork, beer etc.), and 3 cans chicken stock, and three cans beef stock. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to as low as possible. Cook for about an hour until the rice is done. Serves about 10, and nothing is set in stone accept the veggies, so feel free to experiment.

Noah

I use a lot of the same ingredients but do it a different way. I cut up whatever meat I am using (chicken, pork, turkey, sausage...not the seafood!) Then i saute the meat in the bottom of what ever pot I'm going to use (usually a dutch oven). Cook the meat in batches and save the grease that cooks off.

Saute your trinity. 1 each: bell pepper, celery and onion until translucent in a separate skillet. Set aside.

In the dutch oven, pour off all but 2 tbs of grease and pour in 2 cups of rice. Cook the rice until it is toasted (not burnt), usually about 3-5 minutes. Add 1 can diced tomatoes and all of your seasonings (Salt, black pepper, cayenne, garlic powder, a couple of bay leaves). Don't be bashful with the seasoning like those tv cooks! You have to season a whole pot of food! Stir the rice and tomatoes and scrape up all of the brown bits from thje bottom of the pot. Add 2 tbsp of Wrochestershire and a pinch of sugar to kill the tartness of the tomatoes.

Add the meat and stir well. Add 4 cups of chicken stock or broth. Turn the heat down low, cover the pot and simmer. After about 15 minutes, stir in your shrimp. Continue to simmer until all of the liquid is gone.

Eat.

Neil
05-27-2005, 10:16 PM
No smoking or grilling but I may be frying up a bunch of bluegills on Sunday. Drove down to Arkansas yesterday to visit my wife's aunt and caught ten nice size bluegills in the side pasture pond. Biggest one was 11 1/2"!! Going back out there in the morning for more.

Also going back to the local grocery store down here before we head back north to pick up some cryovac spare ribs, $1.39/lb.!!!!

rbinms33
05-28-2005, 09:25 AM
Noah....BigMista......thanks for the recipes. I've always wanted a Dutch Oven to do my beans in while cooking. Now I've got another reason to get one.

Noah....I live about 20 miles south of the TN/MS border. I lived in a subdivision before where they named all the different model types after cities in MS and Pass Christian was one of them so I knew it was in MS, just didn't know where. Just looked it up and it's down by Gulfport. So it's a little ways off. I betcha they can get you all the crawfish you want down there though. And I bet you don't have to pay 1.85/lb for it like you do up here.

rbinms33
05-28-2005, 09:33 AM
No smoking or grilling but I may be frying up a bunch of bluegills on Sunday. Drove down to Arkansas yesterday to visit my wife's aunt and caught ten nice size bluegills in the side pasture pond. Biggest one was 11 1/2"!! Going back out there in the morning for more.

Neil.....your bluegill experience reminded me of one of my own. The best bluegill fishing I ever did was in a pond on the 9th hole of a country club golf course. Me and some of my buddies pulled up, didn't seen any "no trespassing" signs so we drug everything out and went to work. These things wouldn't even hit hard, all you'd do is see your cork start moving around and when you went to set the hook, you realized you had a good sized fish on your hands. Well, we were about 30-45 minutes into our fun when the manager came and ran us off cause we weren't members. I took off my tackle vest, put it in the water like I was going to get it wet (it was hot that day) and wrapped it around the stringer of fish we had. No way I was going to turn them loose. Little bit of french fries and hushpuppies and that was some good eating that night.

nmayeux
05-28-2005, 10:46 AM
Mista,
You are right about the meat. If I don't use leftovers, I will cook before adding, except in the case of seafood. Also, My family does not use tomatoes in our jambalaya; however, the beauty of jambalaya is that it is flexable. It is the South Louisiana way of recycling.

Neil, I love fried bream, and will be doing the same soon.

Noah

Solidkick
05-28-2005, 11:46 AM

Just one of the ingredients in Mr. Kick's "Show Stopper" finishing sauce.......KC got me hooked on it last summer........
----------------------------------------------------------

2 pork butts went in at 11:00 PM friday night, followed by 2 brisket flats at midnight........I took the first watch.....SweetT takes over at 6:30 AM........
Shes puts 3 slabs of BBs in at 8:00 AM Saturday morning, I'm sleepin.....she does all the prep work herself......I get a 4 hour nap.......
This was a cook where I needed one more shelf.....the 2 butts on the same shelf is restricting the air flow some to the briskets, almost acting like a heat shield....
we're have to rotate the briskets more than usual to try to get even cooking.

I wish all you guys were as fortunate as I am in having a wife that enjoys tending a fire as I do. It sure is fun being able to share the same hobby, plus you have someone else to help cook while you get to take a little nap! 8)

kcquer
05-28-2005, 12:04 PM
I wish all you guys were as fortunate as I am in having a wife that enjoys tending a fire as I do. It sure is fun being able to share the same hobby, plus you have someone else to help cook while you get to take a little nap!

For the first time in 16 months, my OL is interested in getting into it!! Just got my cookers home from Mom's this morning. Gotta thaw some stuff or go but something to cook, but it's been so long since I cooked I gotta Q something. Can't wait!!!!

HickoryNut
05-28-2005, 01:08 PM
I caught some bluegill yesterday myself. I filet the little ones and boil 'em about 3 mins in some shrimp boil then immediately chill them in ice to firm them up. Eat 'em like shrimp with a little cocktail sauce, oh goodness.

Hey Bourne! I'm anxious to hear about your first smoke!!

Bigmista
05-28-2005, 03:55 PM
Mista,
You are right about the meat. If I don't use leftovers, I will cook before adding, except in the case of seafood. Also, My family does not use tomatoes in our jambalaya; however, the beauty of jambalaya is that it is flexable. It is the South Louisiana way of recycling.

Noah

It's amazing how if you go to a restaurant and order Jambalaya, you are basically paying $15-$20 for rice and leftovers.

Jeff_in_KC
05-28-2005, 04:11 PM
Boarne, you're probably already up here in the area but in case you get online, the Lee's summit hickory Pit BBQ on the north outer road of 50 Hwy. is pretty decent. There's also a place in downtown Lee's Summit you can't miss... The Filling station. It's a little hole in the wall looking place that used to be a gas station (go figure). It is a Q joint and its decor is 50's and Route 66 style stuff. They've got real good Q and the beans are the best I've had at any Q place in the KC area!

Jeff_in_KC
05-28-2005, 04:13 PM
BTW... unless I do some chicken on Monday, it isn't looking like I'll be doing any Qing this wekeend... today, work around the house a LOT (my garage is TRASHED) and tomorrow a family reunion in Arrow Rock, Missouri. Next weekend is shot too with my step sister's wedding and all kinds of family in town all weekend.

icemn62
05-28-2005, 04:19 PM

Noah

I use a lot of the same ingredients but do it a different way. I cut up whatever meat I am using (chicken, pork, turkey, sausage...not the seafood!) Then i saute the meat in the bottom of what ever pot I'm going to use (usually a dutch oven). Cook the meat in batches and save the grease that cooks off.

Saute your trinity. 1 each: bell pepper, celery and onion until translucent in a separate skillet. Set aside.

In the dutch oven, pour off all but 2 tbs of grease and pour in 2 cups of rice. Cook the rice until it is toasted (not burnt), usually about 3-5 minutes. Add 1 can diced tomatoes and all of your seasonings (Salt, black pepper, cayenne, garlic powder, a couple of bay leaves). Don't be bashful with the seasoning like those tv cooks! You have to season a whole pot of food! Stir the rice and tomatoes and scrape up all of the brown bits from thje bottom of the pot. Add 2 tbsp of Wrochestershire and a pinch of sugar to kill the tartness of the tomatoes.

Add the meat and stir well. Add 4 cups of chicken stock or broth. Turn the heat down low, cover the pot and simmer. After about 15 minutes, stir in your shrimp. Continue to simmer until all of the liquid is gone.

Eat.

Since I am at work this weekend, I am now wondering when Mista will open his catering business so he could deliver llunches to the poor downtrodden working stiffs stuck away from the smoker.

thillin
05-28-2005, 04:58 PM
The best bluegill fishing I ever did was in a pond on the 9th hole of a country club golf course.

You couldn't pay me to take a bite from any fish taken out of a golf course pond. As many fertilizers, dyes and pesticides they use, you're lucky you didn't catch one with 3 eyes.

thillin
05-28-2005, 05:01 PM
Glad I didn't thaw out the 6 racks of baby backs as planned last night. Rain all morning into the afternoon. So I'll be stovetop grilling some smoked deer sausage. Jalapeno and Jack cheese variety.

Jorge
05-28-2005, 05:57 PM
taking a break from Q and frying up some chicken fried steak tonight. Have the oil heating in the turkey fryer and the taters boiling as well as some fries in the oven, with cream gravy on the stove. Best part is tommorow when the leftover meat geats sliced up for sammiches at lunch.

BigAl
05-29-2005, 12:50 PM
Monday
=====
Smoked SPAM, every thing else is just extras
Smoked Spares
Smoked Brisket for my Pal's family
Gallon of beans in cast iron pot under Spares
JD fattie
All smoked with my Pal's dead flowering cherry tree.
Gin Tea all around :P

Neil
05-29-2005, 07:01 PM
Going to start frying up the bluegills (down here they call them brim! I always thought a brim belonged on a hat!) and the catfish I caught yesterday morning, 35" long-weight? Fileted that ugly bastidge. Nice little mess of fish, 22 bluegills and one ugly catfish.

Kevin
05-29-2005, 09:24 PM
Nothing serious this weekend. Tried a beef arm roast and cabbage. The beef roast turned out great but the cabbage was way too strong on the garlic. I love garlic and got carried away me thinks. Pics included if I can figure how to do that.

Ron_L
05-29-2005, 09:33 PM
I grilled some chicken pieces this evening along with some sweet corn. Tomorrow I am going to cook a prime rib in the Cookshack...

MrSmoker
05-29-2005, 09:41 PM
Going to start frying up the bluegills (down here they call them brim! I always thought a brim belonged on a hat!) and the catfish I caught yesterday morning, 35" long-weight? Fileted that ugly bastidge. Nice little mess of fish, 22 bluegills and one ugly catfish. Neil i got so hungry for catfish after reading this i went to Cracker Barrel for Deep Fried catfish.I grew up in New England and spent the summers fishing and eating what we caught.We had fried Bullheads for breakfast instead of bacon,now i just catch and release.(the fish that is :wink: )

BBQchef33
05-29-2005, 10:00 PM
During the week, Was planning for a big party for about 15-20 on Saturday.. It was bad enough that it was riaing all week, so i couldnt prep the yard and get the stuff cleaned up. Then after shopping wednesday and picking up a 16 lb monster packer cut brisket, 15lbs of butts, and 10lbs of flank steaks for fajitas, not to mention all the sides stuff, the wife decided to go into "that mood". By thursday, I had it. Was tired of hearing the "I'm not in the mood" crap, so started calling it off. Called a few friends I invited and postponed... Sharon however neglected to make her calls till the very last minute. Friday night, just out of denial, i cooked the butts, to Competition Specifications, right down to sleeping in the yard next to the cooker. Woke up saturday..the friggin sun was finally out after over a week of clouds and rain. Guess thats all she needed.. Shes walking around like nothing happened.. then those words.. "Lets have it anyway". Whats this LETS SH*T? "Lets" means I have 6 hours to clean the yard and deck, get out all the party stuff, wash the chairs, get out the cushions, mow the lawn AND start cpooking. Not to mention, call everyone back and see if they are still available, and that has direct correlation to how much I gotta cook. :?

OK.. What the hell.??... go for it.. so.. after pulling an all nighter with the pork butts, and sleeping in a lawn swing, I prepped for what turned out to be the 8 diehards that didnt reschedule yet. Still had 2 big butts, and I had the fajitas marinating since i was gonna cook'em this weekend no matter what and whipped up a pot of beans....So food was covered. A few brats, small porktenderloins, fajitas and 2 kickass butts. The butts disappeared.. ALL of it.. 8-10 people ate 2 whole butts before the fajitas came out. they allready ate the brats, a smoked bologna, chips, shrimp cocktails.. but butts disappeared. Did the fajitas with georges recipe and made some fresh guacomole. Whats good with that.. is the fajitas can be done on the spot.. dont take any prep work besides marinating. Margarita machine had the maiden voyage which is a story for a diferent post. All in all.. I squeezed a party and a day of cookin into an otherwise crappy week.

MrSmoker
05-29-2005, 10:27 PM
Did they get anything Pickled? I'm NOT the pickler !

BBQchef33
05-29-2005, 11:47 PM
oh yes.. there was a tray of pickled goods that went out. Those olives stuffed with hot chiles were friggin addictive. i was popping them like candyand paid dearly for it this morning... this afternoon.... tonight.. a few minutes ago..... between poppin them, and the bowls of beans i been eatin... Hoooo-weeeeeee!!

Trout_man22
05-29-2005, 11:58 PM
Phil you like pickles? You should have said something, we could have gotten together and given you some for all that you have done. We'll have to keep that in mind for a gift in the future.

Trout

BBQchef33
05-30-2005, 12:25 AM
Pickles??.. i aint got no stickin pickles. :mrgreen:

hrchdog
05-30-2005, 10:19 AM
Got a 15lb ham, scored the top and coated with maple syrup and brown sugar, three slabs of babybacks and a whole pork loin goin.

ckkphoto
05-30-2005, 11:52 AM
12 lb. Brisket 2 racks of pork spares, 1-turkey breast slathered in olive oil garlic and basil, 10 lbs of country style ribs, and 30 people coming over.

The_Kapn
05-30-2005, 12:12 PM
OK.. What the hell.??... go for it..
PooBah--you are a better man than me. :wink:
By then, I would have said--
"I'll be at Parrothead's mini-bash if y'all need me!" :twisted:
Glad it worked out!

TIM

parrothead
05-30-2005, 12:13 PM
Besides the bash menu from Saturday, I am reheating 3 slabs of spares and grilling a mess of steaks for about 10-12 people. Speaking of which, I guess I better get my fanny perpendicular and get started. Guests should show up here in about 45 minutes.

Bill-Chicago
05-30-2005, 01:01 PM
I got 2 racks of bb's, a pork picnic, and a pork loin in the WSM

3 hours at 228-231

dapittboss
05-30-2005, 01:01 PM
Well, here's what I've got going so far...

Ron_L
05-30-2005, 01:15 PM
The ribs look great!

I just put a 6 lb prime rib and two fatties into the Cookshack... Pictures to follow...

Now I'm trolling the 'fridge for something to eat... I'm hungry! (What else is new?)

icemn62
05-30-2005, 03:01 PM
The pictures look fine. Wishing I had something in the smoker. Last night got home from work, and wife and I grilled (I grilled) some steaks, portabello mushrooms, and some hot links. Had a good dinner. Got up this morning, warmed up a left-over steak for breakfast. Was planning on having some of everything for lunch. Steak left over, but no mushrooms, no sign of the hot links. Will just keep watching the clock waiting to leave earning double time and 1/2 while "working"

BigAl
05-30-2005, 03:07 PM
My stuff in the smoke as I attempt to type......Gin Tea is only thing that is serveable at this point! :P :P 8) :lol:

mook
05-30-2005, 05:44 PM
Hey pitboss,

I see that you seperated your beef ribs before cooking. Any particular reason? How did they turn out?

I did a couple slabs of beef ribs for the OL and they came out over cooked. The meat had a noce flavor but most of it was just too crispy.

dapittboss
05-30-2005, 08:36 PM
Hey pitboss,

I see that you seperated your beef ribs before cooking. Any particular reason? How did they turn out?

I did a couple slabs of beef ribs for the OL and they came out over cooked. The meat had a noce flavor but most of it was just too crispy.

They came out great. I seperate the beef ones usually because I like to coat all the sides really well with a mustard sauce and the rub. I cook them just like the pork ones, these I smoked about 3 1/2 hours, foiled them for 2 more, then sauced and back in the smoke for about another 1 1/2 hours. I did the BB's the exact same way.

BigAl
05-30-2005, 08:53 PM
Not a good day here, first high winds and low temps, next sun and wind, now major rain and thunder storm and cold, 11.35 lb brisket stuck at 165 (the flat part) and it is 6:48 PM. Bandera is under cover outa of rain but it's a ways to get to it....it's down to 45 F on the deck :cry: ....good news is, I still got Gin :roll: :wink:

BigAl
05-30-2005, 08:58 PM
Shutting down computer, thunder and lightning right over the house. If I don't post again , you know me and the brisket both most likley are done.

Ron_L
05-30-2005, 08:59 PM
DPB... The ribs really look great! If I weren't full, i'd be hungry!

Bill-Chicago
05-30-2005, 09:02 PM
Bless me borthers, for i have sinned

ribs pulled off at 2pm, rub on all 3 started as grub rub, then bro in law doctered it.

1.3 slabs, devoured for lunch, rest wrapped for Bro in law trip home

Pork loin for dinner, had mom over for dinner, awesome

Pulled the pork butt, had this tiny itty bitty bone in it. 5# was nearly boneless

So the sin?

Daughter asks: wheres the fatty?

FARK!!!

Ron_L
05-30-2005, 09:03 PM
The Prime Rib came out great... I took some fresh rosemary and garlic and gave it a quick saute in olive oil. Then I coated the PR with this mixture. I seasoned it with a seasoning mix the we buy from a restaurant in SW Michigan that specializes in Prime Rib, and cooked it at 225 until the internal temp was 140. Then I lowered the Cookshack temp to 140 to hold it until dinner at 6:30. I also grilled some asparagus that was wonderful! I tossed it in olive oil and garlic and seasoned with a little salt and pepper and then grilled for 8 minutes or so, turning a couple of times.

dapittboss
05-30-2005, 09:18 PM
Ron, that prime rib looks awesome. I've always wanted to try one on the Q, only done them in the oven. One of these days...

Ron_L
05-30-2005, 09:44 PM
Bless me borthers, for i have sinned

ribs pulled off at 2pm, rub on all 3 started as grub rub, then bro in law doctered it.

1.3 slabs, devoured for lunch, rest wrapped for Bro in law trip home

Pork loin for dinner, had mom over for dinner, awesome

Pulled the pork butt, had this tiny itty bitty bone in it. 5# was nearly boneless

So the sin?

Daughter asks: wheres the fatty?

FARK!!!

Repent, Brother Bill... Repent!

To atone for you sins, you should prepare multiple fatties, but not eat any of them. These fatties are the result of your sins and they should be given to someone more worthy... Say... me. :lol:

BoarneSupremacy
05-31-2005, 09:15 PM
I caught some bluegill yesterday myself. I filet the little ones and boil 'em about 3 mins in some shrimp boil then immediately chill them in ice to firm them up. Eat 'em like shrimp with a little cocktail sauce, oh goodness.

Hey Bourne! I'm anxious to hear about your first smoke!!

Well, it will probably be this coming weekend. We just back from KC about an hour ago. I still haven't even put the smoker together and gotten it ready for the pre-burn. It's killing me.

We had a blast in KC and ate at Jack Stack in Martin City Saturday night. I followed advice and got a couple of bottles of spicy sauce. That's what I ate on my ribs at the restaurant and enjoyed every bone-sucking minute of it. My other red-neck addiction of NHRA drag-racing was satisfied on Sunday, too. Saturday, I smelled like smoke and BBQ. Sunday, I smelled like sweat, nitro-methane and burnt rubber. It was heaven. I'll make sure and post a picture of my first fatty.

B.S.