PDA

View Full Version : Beef Ribs

ddog27
05-26-2005, 11:15 AM
I am going to smoke some beef ribs this weekend. I have not smoked them before so I thought I would ask, what rub do you use on beef ribs? Would you use your brisket rub, because they are beef? Or would you use a sweet rub because they are ribs? Any tips you can give me would be appreciated!

Jorge
05-26-2005, 11:44 AM
I prefer something closer to a brisket rub, and including some lemon pepper if possible.

kcquer
05-28-2005, 11:55 AM
Any other tips on the Beef Ribs? I've only done them once before and they were little short things. The ones I picked up this time are about 6-7 bones per rack and about a foot long, much meatier than the shortys I had before.

Any suggestions about how long and to wrap or not would be greatly appreciated!!!

kcquer
05-29-2005, 05:55 AM
Any suggestions about how long and to wrap or not would be greatly appreciated!!!

OK ladies, it's heavy early and I've done a search or two, found Phil likes 5-3-1 on his beef ribs. Any other suggestions from you fans of the Dino Bones? Expect mine to be going on around 8-10 this morning (depending on how long it takes me to put up a tarp to cook under).

Anyone ever put sauce in the foil with these?

Would they benefit from the last hour out of the foil, like I like my BB's?

Still Looking for help in Cass Co.

kcquer
05-29-2005, 02:39 PM
Since a Brother Can't get any advice around here :twisted: I'm flyin' by the seat o' my pants. Pit ran a little hot today(250) so 3 hrs and wrap, was starting to see some ends so into the foil they went. In a very low 180 oven, thoroughly juiced up. Will crack the foil in 2 hrs and see if they make it back to the fire. Trying my best to think beef more than ribs on these, hoping they'll come out tastier.
Snuck a little taste while wrapping, :D very anxious to see how they finish!!

icemn62
05-29-2005, 02:59 PM
Sounds like things are going well for you. the only time I did beef ribs, I did them pretty much like pork ribs, the temps were different, but the method was the same. Cooked on low heat, till up to temp, wrapped in foil, sprayed heavy with aj/whiskey mix. Wife and kids loved them. I did not get that much of a taste, as they eat all the ribs.

Being as how I am stuck at work, and you are cooking, post pics, and give up details.
Let us know how they came out.

BigAl
05-29-2005, 02:59 PM
Since a Brother Can't get any advice around here :twisted: !!

Some advice....Buy low and sell high :!:

Good to have a few min to help out a brother. :D

Trout_man22
05-29-2005, 05:22 PM
Since a Brother Can't get any advice around here :twisted: I'm flyin' by the seat o' my pants. Pit ran a little hot today(250) so 3 hrs and wrap, was starting to see some ends so into the foil they went. In a very low 180 oven, thoroughly juiced up. Will crack the foil in 2 hrs and see if they make it back to the fire. Trying my best to think beef more than ribs on these, hoping they'll come out tastier.
Snuck a little taste while wrapping, :D very anxious to see how they finish!!

Sorry Scott,

I've never done them I just keep my fingers still. I know it's strange for me not to offer up an idea on somthing that I have no idea about, but this is food and I did not want to help you make a mistake.

Trout

Neil
05-29-2005, 05:56 PM
Hope they turned out for you Scott. First chance I've had to log on to the site today. I cook my dino bones like I do the spares except go a little longer and lower. 5 hours on the open smoke at around 180-220 then spray with craberry juice and foiled for two and one more open. Last hour gets sauced.

icemn62
05-29-2005, 06:52 PM
It has been awhile since we last ehard from Scott. Does anybody know if his ribs turned out okay? Maybe he is busy, eating them, and taking pictures to be posted.

kcquer
05-29-2005, 08:34 PM
I cook my dino bones like I do the spares except go a little longer and lower.

Neil, caught this in a thread that came up in my search, this is what I wanted to do but a nice breeze directly into the firebox damper changed my plans.

They came out VERY tasty. It would seem odd to compare foot long >1" dia. dino bones to chicken wings but that's kinda how they ate. Lots of gnawing and picking for a little albeit quite tasty eating.
I will do them again, might make a nice appetizer between a fatty for breakfast and brisket for dinner.

Since a Brother Can't get any advice around here

Was just kiddin', knew everyone was busy. Has some dandy chicken breasts to go with the beef ribs, coleslaw, Brethren beans and Mac & cheese :D . Now its time for some beersert!!

BBQchef33
05-29-2005, 10:16 PM
Since a Brother Can't get any advice around here :twisted: I'm flyin' by the seat o' my pants.

KC.. look around the house for something with numbers on it.. its a long object with 1-2-3 across the top and then a 0 at the bottom and has number 4-9 in between.

If u find it and push the numbers in a specific order, and then listen to one end, you will hear a voice. If you dialed in the right order, that voice would be one of us. then you speak into it and gueass what.?? We hear what you say. For instance... "How do i make beef ribs" would have been a good choice to use today.

:twisted: :wink: 8)

Sorry... had to bust'em a little... I'm having pickle problems.

Treat them beef ribs like a briket. Cookem till the fall apart. If them those big dinosaur bones I posted about a while back, cook at 225-230, foil at 5-6 hours or they will need to cook for 10-12 hours unfoiled.