PDA

View Full Version : Rib membrane: Off or Not?

sandiegobbq
10-24-2011, 12:24 PM
I have seen some that keep it on its entirety such as John Willingham.

http://www.cookingnook.com/baby-back-ribs.html

Others I have them keep the membrane on but they score it in cross hatches with a knife.

Most people take it off.

The membrane on crowd thinks this keeps the moisture in.

I have had it all three ways and honestly I am happy with all three methods.

In most asian restaurants they don't remove the membrane and some turn out some very good ribs.

I like mine a little more tender though than the asian variety.

I think some just take off the membrane because they think it is the thing to do when maybe they never tried the other two methods.

Open mindedness rears its ugly head again? lol

Terry The Toad
10-24-2011, 12:36 PM
If you are competing - I think you'll be penalized if you leave the membrane on. Judges don't like anything chewy!

As far as eating them at home - I can't tell much difference between leaving it on or taking it off.

sandiegobbq
10-24-2011, 12:39 PM
If you are competing - I think you'll be penalized if you leave the membrane on. Judges don't like anything chewy!

As far as eating them at home - I can't tell much difference between leaving it on or taking it off.

Maybe that has changed since I believe that John WIllingham won many bbq contests leaving the membrane on.

Blackened
10-24-2011, 12:39 PM
I can't see the benefit of leaving it on, and it takes 30 seconds to remove it. I don't have a problem with keeping my ribs moist, and on the other hand, spices and smoke won't penetrate it, it's chewy and generally unpleasant to eat imo.

Ron_L
10-24-2011, 12:41 PM
For me, off. But, the next questions is off before cooking or after? I've heard arguments for leaving it on to help retain moisture and removing it before serving. I haven't done any tests to see if it makes a difference.

sandiegobbq
10-24-2011, 12:43 PM
For me, off. But, the next questions is off before cooking or after? I've heard arguments for leaving it on to help retain moisture and removing it before serving. I haven't done any tests to see if it makes a difference.

Now that is a 4th method that I have not yet tested.

jcpetro97
10-24-2011, 12:43 PM
I used to not bother taking it off, but started doing it this year, and now I won't make ribs without removing it. The only caveat there, is if I have a particularly troublesome rack that I just can't seem to get the membrane off, then i just leave it, if I am just cooking for family or friends.

Ron_L
10-24-2011, 12:45 PM
Now that is a 4th method that I have not yet tested.

You're welcome :-D

Boshizzle
10-24-2011, 12:48 PM
For the way I like to cook ribs nowadays at 275F, I prefer the membrane removed. However, when I used to cook them lo & slo for at least 6 hours I didn't mind them with the membrane on.

To me, spares with the membrane on cooked H&F seem to retain too much fat under the membrane for my taste.

As far as comps go, everytime my table has judged a box of ribs with the membrane on at least one judge at the table has complained about it.

Lake Dogs
10-24-2011, 12:49 PM
Off. I've had one set of ribs where it wouldn't come off, so I cross-hatched those...

El Ropo
10-24-2011, 12:59 PM
I've had one stubborn rack of ribs where it wouldn't come off, so I chose to take a filet knife and slice through the membrane between each bone. It turned out just as good as all the removed ribs I've cooked.

For comps, it may not be the best choice, but slicing between the bones, or poking between bones with a sharp fork will allow some smoke and spice to penetrate.

deguerre
10-24-2011, 01:18 PM
Depends on how lazy I'm being at the time. Sometimes I'll just cook the whole rack too without trimming St. Louis style.

Carbon
10-24-2011, 01:57 PM
When I do high heat ribs on the kettle I sear the ribs at the end of the cook and that burns off the membrane. Otherwise, on low and slow cooks I'll try to take them off.

Warthog
10-24-2011, 02:06 PM
Take it OFF!

lemur
10-24-2011, 02:07 PM
Last weekend i did 2 full racks spares on UDS, no foil, no spritz..lotsa Moosehead....low and slow

1 membrane was removed and other scored...couldnt tell the difference and my buddies, would have pointed out ANY flaw, due to their disbelief I was cookin in an old drum...heheh

1FUNVET
10-24-2011, 02:10 PM
Take it OFF!

Same here.

BBQ Bacon
10-24-2011, 02:11 PM
I've always taken it off, just how I was raised.

bassace
10-24-2011, 02:16 PM
I always take off the membrane.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities

Grillman
10-24-2011, 02:17 PM
It's all about personal preference.
If you think it's better with the membrane off...then take it off.
If it doesn't matter....then leave it on.

It's the same kind of question like......Who makes the best Truck?
Dodge, Chevy, Ford, or someone else.

Or....Which is the best Football team?
Just go with what you like; and don't worry about what other people think.

NorthwestBBQ
10-24-2011, 02:18 PM
I always take it off and so does everyone who competes.

Will32Rod
10-24-2011, 03:23 PM
Off for me always. Just my preference.

Bacon_99
10-24-2011, 03:40 PM
Off, find there to be a big difference in texture but never tried scoring before though...

jimmyinsd
10-24-2011, 03:53 PM
one of the best dry ribs i ever tasted had the membrane left on and imo ruined the meal. when i bit into them it was a great flavor, but that was quicky ruined by having to tear at the membrane to get the bite to release. i think i only had 2 or 3 bones which is a personal low.

imo the membrane doesnt add anything to the cook, but not removing it is a short cut by the chef, it makes me wonder how many other short cuts does he take in prep and handling?

Jamesj5223
10-24-2011, 04:02 PM
Cooks Illustrated's latest Memphis-style rib recipe recommends leaving the membrane on to "retain moisture" (they use SLC slabs.) I personally remove it; like many have said, you are trying to get the flavor on the meat, and my SLC's are always plenty juicy.

grill 'em all
10-24-2011, 04:07 PM
Take it OFF!
what he said ^^^ X2

bluetang
10-24-2011, 04:16 PM
I seem to be compelled to take them off. I've tried them both ways and don't see a huge difference, but I still pull 'em. I cook at 235.

schellter
10-24-2011, 07:24 PM
Last two times I removed the membrane the rib bones fell away from the rack. It's just not ribs without the bones.

Blackened
10-24-2011, 08:08 PM
Last two times I removed the membrane the rib bones fell away from the rack. It's just not ribs without the bones.

There are actually two membranes, you only want to remove the top one. The bottom one is what holds the bones and everything together.. You really have to dig to get the bottom one off.

WvSmoke
10-24-2011, 08:23 PM
Like others have said, I prefer it off, just my preference.

Dragonfly
10-24-2011, 09:49 PM
I say off with it...IMHO, texture and taste is better:-P

schellter
10-24-2011, 09:59 PM
There are actually two membranes, you only want to remove the top one. The bottom one is what holds the bones and everything together.. You really have to dig to get the bottom one off.

I thought I had learned that lesson after the first time. The second time I was very careful to only remove one layer and the bones still fell out. Only possibility I can think of is that the butcher removed one membrane and I got the other. Next time I will go with the membrane(s) and see how objectionable it is

B-Lazy BBQ
10-24-2011, 10:47 PM
It all depends on how many racks I am cooking and what else I have going on at the time. This past August I held a get together at my house for 75 people. Menu was 200 ABT's, 200 MOINKS, 35lbs chuck roll (precooked weight), and 16 racks of loin back ribs. I just did not have the time or patience to pull, so I just scored the chit out of them. But any other time I will remove it.

Blackened
10-24-2011, 11:12 PM
I thought I had learned that lesson after the first time. The second time I was very careful to only remove one layer and the bones still fell out. Only possibility I can think of is that the butcher removed one membrane and I got the other. Next time I will go with the membrane(s) and see how objectionable it is

Were they Costco loin backs? The 3 slab cryo pack of Swift Premium baby backs already have the membrane removed.. I learned that the hard way too..

JMSetzler
10-24-2011, 11:22 PM
After reading this thread, I'm gonna leave the membrane on the next time I cook ribs. I have taken them off every time so far so I'll try it the other way and see what happens.

Billie
10-25-2011, 03:06 AM
Take it OFF!

+1 I always remove them...

Oldpro1946
10-25-2011, 05:32 AM
For the way I like to cook ribs nowadays at 275F, I prefer the membrane removed. However, when I used to cook them lo & slo for at least 6 hours I didn't mind them with the membrane on.

To me, spares with the membrane on cooked H&F seem to retain too much fat under the membrane for my taste.

As far as comps go, everytime my table has judged a box of ribs with the membrane on at least one judge at the table has complained about it.

When you cook them at 275 about how long to they take? Do you foil? Are they spares or BBs? Thanks.

CPMatthew
10-25-2011, 07:10 AM
I always remove the membrane, but I don' think it makes that big a difference (at least on BBRs) because most of the meat is on the other side of the bone anyway. There is a local rib house that cooks them with the membrane on. I don't care for their ribs for a lot of reasons, and this was just one more reason to make my own.

Ole Man Dan
10-25-2011, 09:53 AM
You know you have arrived when someone sez: Why are we here?
I like your ribs better. (Remove the Membrane)

I personally believe that part of the 'leave it on' folks, don't realize that the Costco ribs may already have the membrane removed.

Lake Dogs
10-25-2011, 12:02 PM
Always remove. Although I had a set of ribs where it wouldnt come off (tiny little pieces). So I scored it thoroughly and placed 3rd in a rib contest in a field of 24.

BIG ALAN
10-25-2011, 02:20 PM
...off, off damn membrane!:clap2:

righteousdog
10-25-2011, 02:27 PM
Were they Costco loin backs? The 3 slab cryo pack of Swift Premium baby backs already have the membrane removed.. I learned that the hard way too..

I believe same with Sam's Club. Maybe that's an IBP thing?

Lazybones
10-25-2011, 02:33 PM
I always remove it as well.

claypots
10-25-2011, 09:18 PM
I used to leave them on and argued that it didn't make a difference. Then one day I did a side by side comparison test, and discovered my argument was more about my laziness than anything. :doh: What can I say... nowadays the membrane always comes off.:-D

JerBQ
10-26-2011, 08:33 AM
Off with it!

Smoking Bruin
10-26-2011, 09:53 AM
I remove it too!