PDA

View Full Version : Running for BOD against a group ticket?

Leatherheadiowa
10-23-2011, 12:54 PM
As a candidate for the KCBS BOD I wanted some input on running. This morning as I went through Facebook updates of what all happened at the Jack and other weekend contests I noticed that a group of four individuals have decided to run as a group ticket. This is what I read, "Regrettably wired bbq had some technical issues this weekend so we were not able to make our live announcement. Four of us have decided to run as a ticket for the KCBS board of directors. We all share the goal of making the actions of the BOD more transparent and more accessible to the general membership. Please use your 4 votes to elect Steve Farrin, Jeff Stith, George Mullins and Dave Compton."

I thought that it was an interesting concept but to me and a couple other small team competitors like myself thought that this strategy to run as a group was very similar to what the KCBS BOD looks like now.
I only know Dave Compton personally and I have spoken to him recently about his ideas for the board and I believe he can lend a great deal to the BOD. I don't personally know the others but I believe they are outstanding people and wouldn't do anything to diminish the KCBS as it currently stands.
I just wonder if the campaigning on message boards,paid advertising in the Bull Sheet, and swaying from my reasoning for running for the board is actually worth it when put up against a group.
I feel like a political candidate that has all the right answers with support from like minded people, but without:the finances, the right forum handle, wrong last name, not enough GC's, not owning a bbq establishment, or one of many other socioeconomic variables that I seem to be short of. This seems to be similar to modern politics and what people don't want.
It appears that the only things I have going for me is my love of bbq, the fact I want my son and future generations to enjoy the art of bbq, consistency in bbq education, and a more open and transparent KCBS.
I wonder what the opinions of others relating to this are. Go it alone until the election results are read, or withdraw and spend the time with my family?

ThomEmery
10-23-2011, 01:51 PM
Name recognition by CBJs is how you get elected

Leatherheadiowa
10-23-2011, 02:57 PM
I should have known it was like that. Sounds like it is similar to needing to be a Kennedy, Bush, or Clinton.

MilitantSquatter
10-23-2011, 03:50 PM
I wonder what the opinions of others relating to this are. Go it alone until the election results are read, or withdraw and spend the time with my family?

Spend the time w/ your family... both you & your son will appreciate it much more when he's older, versus lost time spent on running in circles over things like parsley in styrofoam boxes, judges comment cards etc.

Leatherheadiowa
10-23-2011, 03:53 PM
Spend the time w/ your family... both you & your son will appreciate it much more when he's older, versus spending a portion of time running in circles over things like parsley in styrofoam boxes, judges comment cards etc.

Vinny, you are most likely very right. I just hate for KCBS be another good ol boys, my name is, don't you know who I am club.

butt head
10-23-2011, 05:17 PM
Vinny, you are most likely very right. I just hate for KCBS be another good ol boys, my name is, don't you know who I am club.
to late

Diva
10-23-2011, 05:25 PM

They have stated that they want transparency.......honestly, i think you're looking for a reason to back out. Not that theres anything wrong with that.

Leatherheadiowa
10-23-2011, 05:28 PM
to late
I guess I haven't roamed the message boards enough to realize what went on. I relied on the Bull Sheet and other competitors and judges like me to get my information and get my read on how the KCBS works.
I guess ignorance on my part is bliss for others...:crazy:

bbqbull
10-23-2011, 05:32 PM
I have known 3 of the 4 for several years. They are outstanding folks who tell you the way it is, no need to cover up anything. They tell you the fark the way it is, no bullchit.
Jeff ive met at the A. Royal, George was an administrator here on this forum. He is also a good friend of mine. Mr. Dave Compton is as honest as the day is long. Actually I offered to throw his name into the KCBS election.....He is another no bullchit/nonsense man in my opinion.
The 4 th man, don't recall ever meeting him in person but he is endorsed very highly from the other 3 folks who are running, good enough for me.
I renewed my membership last Friday so I could vote, got busy at the A. Royal a few weeks ago and didn't do it then....grrrr.

I believe these 4 folks can make a huge change, as I know them pretty damned well. Good luck to them.

Leatherheadiowa
10-23-2011, 05:33 PM
They have stated that they want transparency.......honestly, i think you're looking for a reason to back out. Not that theres anything wrong with that.

I have no reason to backout. The matter of the fact is that the KCBS is made of more people like me than them. If I can convert 1/20th of people like me to vote for me, they won't matter.

bbqbull
10-23-2011, 05:36 PM
Do not beat yourself up Mr. Leatherhead, you have a young family. My best advice to you is enjoy your time with them.
I was a former union president at a IAFF local. I took away way too much time from my children. Working 24, 48 and sometime working 144 hr shifts in a row w/o being at home really hurt our family.

Leatherheadiowa
10-23-2011, 05:40 PM
I have known 3 of the 4 for several years. They are outstanding folks who tell you the way it is, no need to cover up anything. They tell you the fark the way it is, no bullchit.
Jeff ive met at the A. Royal, George was an administrator here on this forum. He is also a good friend of mine. Mr. Dave Compton is as honest as the day is long. Actually I offered to throw his name into the KCBS election.....He is another no bullchit/nonsense man in my opinion.
The 4 th man, don't recall ever meeting him in person but he is endorsed very highly from the other 3 folks who are running, good enough for me.
I renewed my membership last Friday so I could vote, got busy at the A. Royal a few weeks ago and didn't do it then....grrrr.

I believe these 4 folks can make a huge change, as I know them pretty damned well. Good luck to them.
I agree they all seem to be great guys but, none of them walk in my shoes as a competitor that competes in 8-16 contests each year, judge 2-6 contests each year, work full time, and then try to create a well rounded son.
The BOD needs people like Jeff, Steve, Dave, and George, but they could use someone lime me too. Adding four people that are like minded made add some transparency to the BOD but you are in the same situation you are in now, a group of buddies that play together and stay together.

MilitantSquatter
10-23-2011, 05:43 PM
I agree they all seem to be great guys but, none of them walk in my shoes as a competitor that competes in 8-16 contests each year, judge 2-6 contests each year, work full time, and then try to create a well rounded son.
The BOD needs people like Jeff, Steve, Dave, and George, but they could use someone lime me too. Adding four people that are like minded made add some transparency to the BOD but you are in the same situation you are in now, a group of buddies that play together and stay together.

I think you are way off on your overall assessment of them and what they can bring.

Leatherheadiowa
10-23-2011, 05:45 PM
Do not beat yourself up Mr. Leatherhead, you have a young family. My best advice to you is enjoy your time with them.
I was a former union president at a IAFF local. I took away way too much time from my children. Working 24, 48 and sometime working 144 hr shifts in a row w/o being at home really hurt our family.

I appreciate your kind words. As a former firefighter weren't you glad that different shifts, different skill level firefighters, different stations, all get representation? I was a C shifter and I would have killed myself if the folks on A shift had all the representation. Different shifts had different perspectives, needs, concerns, and ideas for betterment. This group could turn the BOD election into what amounts to a single shift being the sole new group of representation.

bbqbull
10-23-2011, 05:46 PM
Ok, tell ya what, make arrangements to chat w/the 4 candidates on the phone if you have time.
I am only speaking as a member.....and....not a moderator of this forum on this issue.
I you wish please go ahead and run as a candidate. I would love to hear your complete platform.
I wish you the best of luck in this issue.
We just need some changes that will help out the members of the KCBS.

YankeeBBQ
10-23-2011, 05:54 PM

As a candidate for the KCBS BOD I wanted some input on running. This morning as I went through Facebook updates of what all happened at the Jack and other weekend contests I noticed that a group of four individuals have decided to run as a group ticket. This is what I read, "Regrettably wired bbq had some technical issues this weekend so we were not able to make our live announcement. Four of us have decided to run as a ticket for the KCBS board of directors. We all share the goal of making the actions of the BOD more transparent and more accessible to the general membership. Please use your 4 votes to elect Steve Farrin, Jeff Stith, George Mullins and Dave Compton."

I thought that it was an interesting concept but to me and a couple other small team competitors like myself thought that this strategy to run as a group was very similar to what the KCBS BOD looks like now.
I only know Dave Compton personally and I have spoken to him recently about his ideas for the board and I believe he can lend a great deal to the BOD. I don't personally know the others but I believe they are outstanding people and wouldn't do anything to diminish the KCBS as it currently stands.
I just wonder if the campaigning on message boards,paid advertising in the Bull Sheet, and swaying from my reasoning for running for the board is actually worth it when put up against a group.
I feel like a political candidate that has all the right answers with support from like minded people, but without:the finances, the right forum handle, wrong last name, not enough GC's, not owning a bbq establishment, or one of many other socioeconomic variables that I seem to be short of. This seems to be similar to modern politics and what people don't want.
It appears that the only things I have going for me is my love of bbq, the fact I want my son and future generations to enjoy the art of bbq, consistency in bbq education, and a more open and transparent KCBS.

I'm sorry you see something nefarious in 4 ppl with a common goal getting together to improve our organization. In my view your trying to make this look like something its not is more akin to what goes on in modern politics then anything we have done. You probably have more in common with the 4 of us than you know but rather than trying to get to know us you've decided to label us as the good ole boys. I wish you luck in the election and ask you to keep this about the issues and not about false perceptions.

Steve Farrin

Jeff Hughes
10-23-2011, 05:55 PM

You don't know much about these guys do you?

swamprb
10-23-2011, 06:05 PM
Why not just come out here and introduce yourself? Give me a name to recognize before I make a decision. I am familiar with the 4 mentioned.
I cook far more PNWBA events than KCBS and the Bullsheet is pretty irrelevant to me (unless I'm interested in Bob Lyons Pacific Northwest column-NOT!)

I'm still pissed about the Pork Collars!!

Brian Moriarty
PNWBA Board Member

ThomEmery
10-23-2011, 06:06 PM
There are what 10 candidates ?
This is no automatic thats for sure

Leatherheadiowa
10-23-2011, 06:08 PM
I know one personally, Dave Compton. I couldn't say a bad word about him if I tried. I can't say a bad thing about anyone running. My point is that four people running collectively isn't nefarious. It is four guys with " a common goal". Four guys a common goal. How about three guys with a common goal, one guy with similar ideas but the one guy wants to preserve bbq for his son, his nephew, and everyone else's kids? four guys replacing four people that the others have made to sound unable to be individual voices.
That makes me an outsider and not worthy?
I guess I need to look for votes outside of this forum.

ThomEmery
10-23-2011, 06:17 PM
If your looking for votes maybe you should share your name
Just sayin

Leatherheadiowa
10-23-2011, 06:21 PM
Over the past several months I have had a chance to experience a great deal in life. One of those moments occurred days after cooking at KCBS contest at the Cass County Fairgrounds in Weeping Water, Nebraska. On August 25th at age 34 I suffered a massive heart attack that should have killed me right then and there. While in the ICU in a Des Moines, Iowa hospital I had some time to think about the thing I like in life, the things I love in life, and the things I do in life because I feel obligated, and those things that I have just always done.
Of all the things in life that I love including my family, friends, and my church, I realized that barbeque and the barbeque family I have known for the last 12 years ranks right up there and the fact that the family and friends that I love and adore enjoy the barbeque life opened my eyes to becoming a leader on the KCBS board.

I wouldn't wish my unfortunate health issues on anyone but, an eye opener is an eye opener. The fact that my eight year old Carson loves to barbeque as much, if not more than I do made me decide that now is the time to run for the KCBS Board of Directors.

The past and current board members have done a great job in building on many of the points of the KCBS mission statement but I feel that I can be an amazing voice in building on the KCBS mission statement, and I know I can bring personalized knowledge and attention to the teaching and preservation points in the mission statement that are going to be so very critical to the future members of the KCBS like my eight year old son Carson, my barbequing 4 year old nephew Peyton, and my teammate's newborn son Brock.

I believe that through some new efforts that I would like to champion through KCBS that the organization could grow the membership base every year for generations to come. I also believe that the teaching aspect of barbeque is an important facet of maintaining interest in barbeque. Just a few years back NASCAR was the hottest show on earth, growing leaps and bounds and things couldn't have been better. Just a few years later NASCAR has hit the proverbial brick wall and there are empty seats, shortened race seasons, teams disappearing, and drivers going from racing on Sundays to selling used cars Monday through Saturday. I don't want to see anything like what NASCAR has had happen to them happen to KCBS.
The economy can be blamed for a lot of things including the incidental spending by the general public, reduced spending by barbeque teams and contest organizers.
For most competition teams like the one I am a part of, we realize breaking even is a great thing and coming out ahead is even better. We continue to compete because WE LOVE BARBEQUE!
The reason I bring up the socioeconomic conditions is that, if we (barbeque lovers) don't find new and innovative ways to overcome these adversities barbeque as we know it could change for the worse. I believe that my addition to the KCBS Board of Directors would be a great way of attacking these issues proactively instead of waiting for them to happen and then having to react which is also much more stressful and typically very costly.
I also want to address remedial education for current judges, member benefits, and meeting transparency. You can hear about these issues in my announcement video.
Finally, over the next three and a half months I would like to get to know as many KCBS members as possible and would appreciate any, and all of your questions, comments, and KCBS platform ideas and I will respond to each of you in a timely manner. For up to date information and answers to others comments please visit my candidacy Facebook page at: http://www.facebook.com/pages/BJ-Hoffman-for-KCBS-Board-of-Directors/289380814423633
I look forward to getting to know you all better and hope I can earn your votes!

Respectfully,

BJ Hoffman

speedrcer1
10-23-2011, 08:27 PM
I will take each candidate as an individual and vote accordingly.
I will NOT be voting for a block and I strongly recommend the same for others.
If you feel strong with what you can contribute, continue your run.

Best of luck.

Leatherheadiowa
10-23-2011, 08:35 PM
Thanks a bunch. I think every candidate has something to offer in the improvement of the KCBS BOD. I believe that as a judge that judges and a competitor that is like most competitors I could represent people like me best. An 18' enclosed trailer, homemade bunkbeds, a couple Country Smokers, and love of BBQ is what I am, and who I want to represent.

White Dog BBQ
10-23-2011, 09:19 PM
Thanks a bunch. I think every candidate has something to offer in the improvement of the KCBS BOD. I believe that as a judge that judges and a competitor that is like most competitors I could represent people like me best. An 18' enclosed trailer, homemade bunkbeds, a couple Country Smokers, and love of BBQ is what I am, and who I want to represent.

I don't know you BJ, so I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but I think you are presenting the wrong image to potential voters. Quite frankly, it's coming off as whining.

You have a compelling story. You are clearly passionate about BBQ. Stick to that and don't worry about what the other candidates are doing. Yes, four candidates have elected to run as a team. So what? Nothing says that if someone votes for one of them they have to vote for the other three. Quite frankly, I suspect there will be a lot of ticket splitting. But if you focus on negativity and questioning the motives of other candidates, I think you're going to have a hard time developing support.

Erik

Leatherheadiowa
10-23-2011, 09:25 PM
I respect your opinion. I guess I was overwhelmed by the fact of group campaigning. I have a great deal to offer to the casual KCBS members, as well as people that compete on a budget, and everyone that LOVES BBQ as much as I do!
Individuals and their ideas will be the way that the future of the KCBS will be driven and differing opinions and ideas will make that drive very interesting.

Cue's Your Daddy
10-24-2011, 06:57 AM
You keep saying that the 4 candidates have the same views and will have the same good old boy persona. I find that to be totally untrue. I don't know any of these candidates on a personal level but I know them from being on the bbq brethren for WAY TO MANY YEARS. If u go back and read some topics that have been discussed in the past you will see that they do not have similar views all the time but just similar goals. I compete against steve farin and I know him but he has no clue who I am. Which is fine. But to say he follows a crowd is WAY off. Steve doesn't hold back in his comments. He is not affraid to say it like it is. And I have actually scene posts where steve and jeff stith don't agree on things and neither back down but they get there points out there. And I would definitely say they both have deferentt views, but once again all for the same goals. George to me is very level headed, even tho I may be very well off on that lololol. If you look at how he responds to posts its always in a cival way and always trys to understand what the poster is saying before commenting on a topic. I also know that when talking to Poobahs wife once, she made the point that there are very few people who SHE would say that SHE would offer a place in my house to and who care about phil. And she mentioned george as one of those people. I amnot going to mention the other people because it doesn't pertain to this story. IWas one of them YEAH BABY LOLOL. Dave Compton unfortunately I know nothing about but from what I read seems like the right person.
whenu vote for the president of the United States what do you really know about the candidate. Where do u get your info from. The media. Let's be honest. And the views of the candidates are usually scewed to what media is analyzing the candidate. With this forumyou can search on different topics and get a true understanding of the candidate. As of now I will vote for steve, george and jeff. I don't know much about dave yet but will research him. Seems like he is someone who is right for the job.

CBQ
10-24-2011, 08:00 AM
LOL. Steve Farrin a good 'ole boy for KCBS? No way. These guys are running on a "ticket" because they want to really change the perception that the KCBS Board is a good 'ole boy network operating behind closed doors. I don't think you could find a more open and straighforward group of people.

That said: four people are running on a ticket? So what? If you have something to say, go ahead and run. I just wouldn't jump to conclusions about these guys based on how they are running.

Jorge
10-24-2011, 08:00 AM
This is pretty simple for those that don't understand the point of Jeff, Steve, Dave, and myself running together. We have many common views about the direction we'd like to see KCBS move. And being far from having membership in the Good Ole Boys Club, we concluded that the four of us working together could more effectively spread that message to the voting membership. Nothing shady, underhanded, or an attempt at a play for power. That being said, we do know each other, and feel that if elected we can work together with each other and others to try to make a positive difference. The four of us were busy with a trip to Lynchburg for the past week to ten days. Now that we are home we will start addressing the issues that we collectively and individually feel are important.

In the future if ANYONE has questions about my motives or character they may feel free to contact me personally. Beyond that I intend to campaign based solely on the issues.

rweller
10-24-2011, 08:18 AM
I will take each candidate as an individual and vote accordingly.
I will NOT be voting for a block and I strongly recommend the same for others.
If you feel strong with what you can contribute, continue your run.

Best of luck.

I agree, I will be voting on who I think can do the best job not on a block of candidates.

Candy Sue
10-24-2011, 10:02 AM
What an exciting campaign we'll have this year! While it's against some policy somewhere in KCBS, I'm sure, for me to say anything about any of the candidates specificially, I do believe that it's great to see the quality of candidates and the passion for BBQ that is brought by the entire slate!

Please, please all KCBS members -- learn about our candidates, read up on the issues on the ballot (you'll hear of these next month), make educated decisions and VOTE!!!

Lake Dogs
10-24-2011, 10:23 AM
Not to bring something as trivial as math (and probability) into an election, but when individuals are allowed to vote for more than one person it takes the overall election down the path simply of name recognition, particularly on those votes not #1. This, IMHO, is a key to why some of the same folks get elected time and time again (getting that #3 vote because they're recognized). It actually adds some credence to running as a group.

Leatherheadiowa
10-24-2011, 10:28 AM
Not to bring something as trivial as math (and probability) into an election, but when individuals are allowed to vote for more than one person it takes the overall election down the path simply of name recognition, particularly on those votes not #1. This, IMHO, is a key to why some of the same folks get elected time and time again (getting that #3 vote because they're recognized). It actually adds some credence to running as a group.
Lake Dogs, you make a great point! As a pharmaceutical researcher statistics and numbers are my thing. The probability of a single party running and getting elected is reduced. That is just the facts of life. One thing about party candidacy is that one wrong statement or opinion of one can sink the whole bunch.

bover
10-24-2011, 10:45 AM
Lake Dogs, you make a great point! As a pharmaceutical researcher statistics and numbers are my thing. The probability of a single party running and getting elected is reduced. That is just the facts of life. One thing about party candidacy is that one wrong statement or opinion of one can sink the whole bunch.

That may be true if each voter only has a single vote. As Lake Dogs said though, we all have four votes so running as a group of four is a great idea.

Leatherheadiowa
10-24-2011, 10:50 AM
Yeah, with four votes you could vote straight ticket. Other people in this formu and others said the same while others said they prefer to pick individuals. I used to vote in political elections straight ticket until I realized that the (D) or (R) behind the name didn't really mean much compared to the past actions and the current platform.
It will be great to see all of the ideas and platforms come out in the Bull Sheet. I will also love to see who or whos spend the most money!

timzcardz
10-24-2011, 10:53 AM

Since you asked . . .

Every individual is different, but IF it was me, and I had to ask this question, I wouldn't be running.

In my life, I ask these types of questions, and think them through before committing to anything. If I've done this properly, then there is no reason to reconsider. The actions of others (outside of my family and close friends) have no bearing or effect upon my actions.

Rookie'48
10-24-2011, 01:00 PM
Ok, here's my thoughts on this whole thing. For the past few months various people have been asking me to run for the BoD and I had been saying "No". The four of us (Jeff, George, Steve and myself) know & respect each other and each other's viewpoints.

Do we agree on all matters? Probably not. But each of us has the same basic goal - to open up the workings of the BoD to the members who really "own" KCBS. It's your money that pays for this organization to exist so we (as a group & individually) think that you should know just what the fark is going on behind these closed doors. We all are sick and damn tired of back room deals that perpetuate the "Good Ol' Boys" way of doing things and we want to change that. We think that you, as members have the right to see, hear and speak up on what happens in the organization that you pay for.

Now, back to my first paragraph: I was asked (for the umpteenth time) to run. I said "Ok, if you will then I will", not expecting the others to take the plunge. That's kinda the same story that each of us have. I have been pretty vocal about what I think needs some improvement in KCBS and I guess that if I'm not willing to stand up in public for what I've said then I can't expect anyone else to stand up for me.

Sawdustguy
10-24-2011, 01:25 PM
Ok, here's my thoughts on this whole thing. For the past few months various people have been asking me to run for the BoD and I had been saying "No". The four of us (Jeff, George, Steve and myself) know & respect each other and each other's viewpoints.

Do we agree on all matters? Probably not. But each of us has the same basic goal - to open up the workings of the BoD to the members who really "own" KCBS. It's your money that pays for this organization to exist so we (as a group & individually) think that you should know just what the fark is going on behind these closed doors. We all are sick and damn tired of back room deals that perpetuate the "Good Ol' Boys" way of doing things and we want to change that. We think that you, as members have the right to see, hear and speak up on what happens in the organization that you pay for.

Now, back to my first paragraph: I was asked (for the umpteenth time) to run. I said "Ok, if you will than I will". That's kinda the same story that each of us have. I have been pretty vocal about what I think needs some improvement in KCBS and I guess that if I'm not willing to stand up in public for what I've said then I can't expect anyone else to stand up for me.

Dave,

You have nothing to explain to us. Neither does Jorge, Jeff or Steve. I think everyone here knows your backgrounds and understands what you guys are trying to do. Leatherheadiowa is a newbie here. Does he not understand that he has not built enough credibility here to start demanding votes from the membership? He is starting to make himself sound very desparate and it is becoming unnerving.

Other than explaining that he loves BBQ we know very little about him. It took him until post 22 to tell us his real name. It would have been nice if he would have told us a little bit more about himself and other than loving BBQ what else he brings to the table in terms of qualifications. Does he have a business, public relations or educational background? Unfortunately for him he kinda blew his chance at a good first impression.

Leatherheadiowa
10-24-2011, 02:10 PM
Dave,

You have nothing to explain to us. Neither does Jorge, Jeff or Steve. I think everyone here knows your backgrounds and understands what you guys are trying to do. Leatherheadiowa is a newbie here. Does he not understand that he has not built enough credibility here to start demanding votes from the membership? He is starting to make himself sound very desparate and it is becoming unnerving.

Other than explaining that he loves BBQ we know very little about him. It took him until post 22 to tell us his real name. It would have been nice if he would have told us a little bit more about himself and other than loving BBQ what else he brings to the table in terms of qualifications. Does he have a business, public relations or educational background? Unfortunately for him he kinda blew his chance at a good first impression.
For someone new to this whole forum society I should have known better. It appears that there are experts here that will forget more than I know.
I posted an introduction days ago and there weren't many views and that would explain why most people don't know about me.
It doesn't seem important that I have a background in sportsmedicine, worked for the Chicago Cubs and Denver Broncos, owned a small manufacturing business that sold product in the major big box home improvement stores, the fact that I teach classes in Homeland Security with an emphasis on improvised explosive devices and command and control, or the fact that I am a member of the DMAT team, a Master Mason with the Masonic Lodge and I am currently a pharmaceutical researcher.
To me if I heard that about another candidate, I would still want to know
about their BBQ passion and what they can bring to the table in terms of KCBS. I would have no problem using my network to help the KCBS any way I could but that is secondary to remedying other issues.
I want people to know me but if anyone told me about their amazing life experiences that I have shared I would look at them as a showboater and that's not my goal. I am BJ Hoffman, father to an 8 year old that loves bbq, a husband to a woman that supports my hobbys and interests, and someone that wants to better the KCBS through listening to members rather than making statements of what is going to be done. Give me a chance to learn this forum society...

deepsouth
10-24-2011, 02:52 PM
as an outsider to the competitive bbq circuit, i just have to kind of giggle at the thought of a "group of candidates running as a block" against a "good ole boy system".

Leatherheadiowa
10-24-2011, 03:09 PM
as an outsider to the competitive bbq circuit, i just have to kind of giggle at the thought of a "group of candidates running as a block" against a "good ole boy system".

Hey, if Romney, Paul, Bachman, and Cain attempt this let me know!

KC_Bobby
10-24-2011, 07:12 PM
BJ, welcome to the forum. I see where you mention your passion for BBQ. Maybe I missed some specifics, but could you tell us more about this passion to help us learn about that side of you.

How long have you been a member of KCBS?
Are you a competitive cook, judge, rep? If so, roughly how many KCBS comps have you cooked/judged/rep'd?
If elected to the BOD what do you want to see happen and how do you plan to take on those efforts?
What do you perceive as the biggest obstacle for KCBS at the present time and in the future?
You mentioned a big idea for those who who don't compete often. Not sure if you already mentioned that, if so I missed it.

Leatherheadiowa
10-24-2011, 07:23 PM
BJ, welcome to the forum. I see where you mention your passion for BBQ. Maybe I missed some specifics, but could you tell us more about this passion to help us learn about that side of you.

How long have you been a member of KCBS?
Are you a competitive cook, judge, rep? If so, roughly how many KCBS comps have you cooked/judged/rep'd?
If elected to the BOD what do you want to see happen and how do you plan to take on those efforts?
What do you perceive as the biggest obstacle for KCBS at the present time and in the future?
You mentioned a big idea for those who who don't compete often. Not sure if you already mentioned that, if so I missed it.
Please see post #22. Thanks.

KC_Bobby
10-24-2011, 07:34 PM
Thanks, I think I got some answers there. Do you compete often in Iowa? Surprised we haven't meet (or maybe we have :icon_blush:). What's your team name?

Leatherheadiowa
10-24-2011, 07:43 PM
Thanks, I think I got some answers there. Do you compete often in Iowa? Surprised we haven't meet. What's your team name?

We do compete in Iowa. Our team name is Butler Center BBQ. We cooked Marshalltown, LaPorte City, Weeping Water, Dubuque, Storm Lake, and a few other non sanctioned contests this summer. Between one of my teammates being a paramedic that works 24 on 48 off and wife having a baby two weeks ago, my brother switching jobs, and me in the hospital deciding to have a heart attack our competition got cut short. We usually don't get to do as much socializing since we typically can't leave until Friday morning or Friday noon due to my work or my paramedic teammate getting off a 24 hour shift at 8am. This next year we are scheduled for 12 contests. Barring any heart attacks or the birth of children we should be set. Getting a few sponsors has helped solidify a solid schedule too. I would love to meet ya. We are looking for a winter contest that is within a day's drive. Let me know if anythingis planned in KC.

KC_Bobby
10-24-2011, 07:55 PM
Hey, I just watched your video and got answers to my questions. Sounds like you have many of the same believes and desires for KCBS as many of us.

Sawdustguy
10-25-2011, 08:06 AM
For someone new to this whole forum society I should have known better. It appears that there are experts here that will forget more than I know.
I posted an introduction days ago and there weren't many views and that would explain why most people don't know about me.
It doesn't seem important that I have a background in sportsmedicine, worked for the Chicago Cubs and Denver Broncos, owned a small manufacturing business that sold product in the major big box home improvement stores, the fact that I teach classes in Homeland Security with an emphasis on improvised explosive devices and command and control, or the fact that I am a member of the DMAT team, a Master Mason with the Masonic Lodge and I am currently a pharmaceutical researcher.
To me if I heard that about another candidate, I would still want to know
about their BBQ passion and what they can bring to the table in terms of KCBS. I would have no problem using my network to help the KCBS any way I could but that is secondary to remedying other issues.
I want people to know me but if anyone told me about their amazing life experiences that I have shared I would look at them as a showboater and that's not my goal. I am BJ Hoffman, father to an 8 year old that loves bbq, a husband to a woman that supports my hobbys and interests, and someone that wants to better the KCBS through listening to members rather than making statements of what is going to be done. Give me a chance to learn this forum society...

You may have done better if you would have shared some of your business acumen also. Unfortunately, love of BBQ does not make someone a good leader or manager. Lets face it, the KCBS is a not for profit business. IMHO we need people with good business experience that love BBQ. It's not all about mom and apple pie. The KCBS is a business that needs to be run by competent people.

Leatherheadiowa
10-25-2011, 08:48 AM
I appreciate your advice. I guess I believed that my professional life wasn't that important.

ThomEmery
10-25-2011, 09:35 AM
No BJ the opposite would be true
Ones "Love of BBQ" is not a reason to vote someone on to the BoD
Love of BBQ could mean one thing to you and something altogether different to another
Who you is matters

deepsouth
10-25-2011, 11:18 AM
"I have a background in sportsmedicine, worked for the Chicago Cubs and Denver Broncos, owned a small manufacturing business that sold product in the major big box home improvement stores, the fact that I teach classes in Homeland Security with an emphasis on improvised explosive devices and command and control, or the fact that I am a member of the DMAT team, a Master Mason with the Masonic Lodge and I am currently a pharmaceutical researcher."

impressive!

Leatherheadiowa
10-25-2011, 02:24 PM
"I have a background in sportsmedicine, worked for the Chicago Cubs and Denver Broncos, owned a small manufacturing business that sold product in the major big box home improvement stores, the fact that I teach classes in Homeland Security with an emphasis on improvised explosive devices and command and control, or the fact that I am a member of the DMAT team, a Master Mason with the Masonic Lodge and I am currently a pharmaceutical researcher."

impressive!

Thanks! I have lived a very amazing life with a great deal of cool experiences. Those experiences have kept things interesting and has allowed me to network with people that others would kill to know.

Leatherheadiowa
10-25-2011, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the advice Sawdust. I'm not a political kind of guy. I didn't realize that this was political in nature. From the other posts and from the messages I got , I was told and understood that the KCBS wasn't meant to be a political outlet like other organizations are. If you are saying the KCBS has the same characteristics as a political organization I would say you are wrong.
People keeping their mouths shut is a not a good trait for someone running for BOD. I believe that the KCBS needs outspoken, well educated, compasionate, and enthusiastic people, all traits I have. I deal with arrogant, snobby, uptight doctors, drug manufactuers, and patients everyday in order to do my job the best I can, the KCBS BOD would be pleasant compared to my daily excitement.
I am sorry for rubbing you the wrong way and hope you see I am on your side.

Jeff_in_KC
10-25-2011, 10:46 PM
Yeah, I'm just going to stay on the sidelines for this debate! :bow: BJ, best of luck to you in the election. Denver Broncos, huh? That's my team... and I'll still admit it! :becky:

One thing did catch my attention above though... you said you aren't a very political guy - I hope you realize that even though this is barbecue, there are politics involved. Even it it's just trying to help facilitate a change to better transparency by the board, there is a political aspect to it. It's the "politics as usual" thing that has to go. :thumb: And from what I've been seen, there is stress involved. I hope you're looking at this from all angles, including your own health.

Leatherheadiowa
10-25-2011, 11:05 PM
Jeff, thanks for the advice. I realize that there are politics involved with the KCBS. Shoot, there are politics in churches, schools, my Masonic Lodge, and around almost every corner in life.
It is very unfortunate that it is that way. The people kind enough to PM me to say they support me and my platform would say that less politicing in the KCBS would help get the organization back to what it was meant to be, and I agree. Even in the election process I have heard some candidates will spend a fair amount of hard earned money to be elected, and that suprised me but, thats ok if you can do that. Having started in bbq around some of bbq's forefathers and taking interest in the KCBS years ago the KCBS of years past is gone. There were good changes and then there have been some things have been overlooked, passed by, or forgotten that need to be resurected to insure a bright future for the KCBS so people like my boy, and other kids and grandkids can enjoy KCBS and BBQ as much as I do.

Jeff_in_KC
10-25-2011, 11:19 PM
Jeff, thanks for the advice. I realize that there are politics involved with the KCBS. Shoot, there are politics in churches, schools, my Masonic Lodge, and around almost every corner in life.
It is very unfortunate that it is that way. The people kind enough to PM me to say they support me and my platform would say that less politicing in the KCBS would help get the organization back to what it was meant to be, and I agree. Even in the election process I have heard some candidates will spend a fair amount of hard earned money to be elected, and that suprised me but, thats ok if you can do that. Having started in bbq around some of bbq's forefathers and taking interest in the KCBS years ago the KCBS of years past is gone. There were good changes and then there have been some things have been overlooked, passed by, or forgotten that need to be resurected to insure a bright future for the KCBS so people like my boy, and other kids and grandkids can enjoy KCBS and BBQ as much as I do.

Yep, I'll probably spend around $40 by the time it's all over! :thumb: I think the word "politics" itself has gotten a bad rap due in part to the politicians who abuse their powers and pull stunts that ought to get them canned and would in the real world.

Webster defines politics as "the science of government; that part of ethics which consists in the regulation and government of a nation or state, for the preservation of its safety, peace and prosperity; comprehending the defense of its existence and rights against foreign control or conquest, the augmentation of its strength and resources, and the protection of its citizens in their rights, with the preservation and improvement of their morals. Politics, as a science or an art, is a subject of vast extent and importance."

Nothing dirty, underhanded or anything else there. I think we've gotten WAY away from the real meaning of the word to the point of believing it is a bad thing. Not so much if you look at it the way it's supposed to be. This is what myself, Steve, George and Dave all want to do - preserve and protect KCBS as it should be for members, not as a group of people in it for their own benefit believe it should be.

Plowboy
10-25-2011, 11:35 PM

What exactly needs to be resurrected? I'm still trying to figure out your platform.

Leatherheadiowa
10-26-2011, 06:49 AM
First of all, the KCBS used to have a much larger local presence. The local presence helped get people involved and the greater the involvement the better they were able to work towards the KCBS mission.
Second, it is obvious that KCBS has gotten very large in a fairly short time and with growth accomodations for the membership during growth hasn't kept pace.
As for the rest of my platform please check out my video in which I discuss the entire premise. It can be found at: http://www.facebook.com/pages/BJ-Hoffman-for-KCBS-Board-of-Directors/289380814423633

Thanks Plowboy, your time and attention are appreciated.:-P

Jorge
10-26-2011, 10:34 AM
Yep, I'll probably spend around $40 by the time it's all over! :thumb: I think the word "politics" itself has gotten a bad rap due in part to the politicians who abuse their powers and pull stunts that ought to get them canned and would in the real world.

Webster defines politics as "the science of government; that part of ethics which consists in the regulation and government of a nation or state, for the preservation of its safety, peace and prosperity; comprehending the defense of its existence and rights against foreign control or conquest, the augmentation of its strength and resources, and the protection of its citizens in their rights, with the preservation and improvement of their morals. Politics, as a science or an art, is a subject of vast extent and importance."

Nothing dirty, underhanded or anything else there. I think we've gotten WAY away from the real meaning of the word to the point of believing it is a bad thing. Not so much if you look at it the way it's supposed to be. This is what myself, Steve, George and Dave all want to do - preserve and protect KCBS as it should be for members, not as a group of people in it for their own benefit believe it should be.

I owe you $10:becky:

CBQ
10-26-2011, 06:34 PM
Well, one thing this thread highlights is the really difficult job any board member faces. We can't even get a small group of Brethren particpants in this thread to agree what was really being said. Multiply that by the thousands of people in KCBS, and think about the challenge the board has in being clear in what they say and do.

MilitantSquatter
10-26-2011, 06:46 PM
Mod Note: Thread has been scrubbed again of both off topic chatter as well as unrelated posts about forum etiquette... Appreciate all the help but the mods will be the arbiters of what is allowable or not

Thanks ! :thumb:

Fat Freddy
10-26-2011, 09:54 PM
I have not decided who I am voting for, but this is what I do know. I know of five people that are running, all five are because of this fantastic site. One I PMed personally to get more info on views and received a nice easy to understand opinion on some of my concerns and reading the others views I agree with almost everything I read.

I think each of you that wants to run deserves kudos for even wanting to volunteer your time and sanity, it couldnt have been an easy decision.

I have only been a member of KCBS for a few years and I do have some issues but being newer to the whole thing I dont think I have the right to question what has been going on for years only what is going on now and to be honest if there wasnt MANY good things about KCBS I would have never joined, so the board must have done some things right but I do think it is time to get some new views in the BOD.

When it is time to place my vote I will vote for those that share my views, nothing more nothing less and I personally am trying to read as much info as I can on each candidate.

Funtimebbq
10-27-2011, 12:17 AM
Hi Leatherhead (and all the other candidates),

I am a one issue voter. Last year, the membership voted overwhelmingly for KCBS to look into regional BOD members. I have avoided reading all the other BOD threads to wait for the offical statements in the Bullsheet, but the title of this tread caught my eye. If you or any of the other candidates state they are in favor of regional BODs, you have my vote. Hope to read your statements in the Bullsheet.

Thanks for running, Benny

Leatherheadiowa
10-27-2011, 07:14 AM

I am a one issue voter. Last year, the membership voted overwhelmingly for KCBS to look into regional BOD members. I have avoided reading all the other BOD threads to wait for the offical statements in the Bullsheet, but the title of this tread caught my eye. If you or any of the other candidates state they are in favor of regional BODs, you have my vote. Hope to read your statements in the Bullsheet.

Benny, I appreciate your question and I would be happy to address it. I do believe that regional representation would be a good thing. It sounds like certain regions of the country where there are KCBS members don't have the voice like other areas do. I am very fortunate to live in Iowa. In terms of KCBS, Iowa is in the BBQ belt and has representation in the area. It looks like the Northeastern part of the country as well as the Ohio Valley is in need of a bigger voice and a solution would be to implement some type of regional structure similar to a township or precinct representation model.
While I recall this being a project for the current board I don't believe that the pursuit has been very ambitious at all.
Different areas of our great country face all kinds of different challenges and needs and KCBS may not be able to adapt unless a strong local voice is on the board representing those needs.
Finally, by implementing a structure like this some BOD seats may have to be early termed or changed in some manner in order to make the change and that may be a nightmare but a nightmare that could lead to some peacefull nights down the line for all.
I hope that helps you see where I stand on the issue Benny. Have a great day!

Jorge
10-27-2011, 09:23 AM

I think you'll have to flip a coin to determine whether I earn your vote or not:wink:

I personally support the idea of regional representation, but I'm not certain that I've seen a plan that I'm sure that I could support. I'd need to review the most recent plan presented to see if it addresses the following concerns.

Membership will shift based on two primary factors. Growth or shrinkage in any given region due to a rise in popularity from media exposure for example. The second contributing factor will be CBJ classes since the majority of members join as a result of a class. For the distribution of representation to be fair KCBS will have to break down the numbers on an annual basis and essential redraw the district lines. I like to have faith in my fellow man, but I would not look forward to that annual task and debate.

Lets assume for a moment that we do adopt some form of regional representation, an election is held, and new members are seated. The following year, another group of members call for the issue to be presented to membership a second time and this time it doesn't have the support of membership. Isn't the board then obligated to eliminate something that you personally believe in based on the voice of the membership in that given year? If that cycle continued I believe it could potentially lead to even larger regional rivalry, for lack of a better term, than we have now.

Those are my concerns, but I would be willing to support a plan to achieve your goal if it sufficiently addressed at least some of those concerns. If you or someone else has something ready to go, I'd like to look at it and give it some thought.

Slamdunkpro
10-27-2011, 09:44 AM
I think you might be over complicating it. Just divide the Country into 4 or 5 regions and elect a director from each region plus "at large" directors to fill the board.

The expedient solution would be to open constructive dialogues with the regional organizations vs ignoring their existance or waging war on them.:boxing:

Leatherheadiowa
10-27-2011, 09:52 AM
I think you might be over complicating it. Just divide the Country into 4 or 5 regions and elect a director from each region plus "at large" directors to fill the board.

The expedient solution would be to open constructive dialogues with the regional organizations vs ignoring their existance or waging war on them.:boxing:

I agree that 4 or 5 regions that could be georgraphically seperated would be best. One simple means of doing it would be to take the entire membership database, export the zipcodes and plot them onto a map. Then, take a marker and divide the map into x amount of regions based on member locations and go from there. The political redistricting here in Iowa has become a nightmare. If the KCBS could keep it simple and approach it with a common sense logic you could make it work fairly easily.

pigmaker23
10-27-2011, 11:03 AM
For Real ?

Scottie
10-27-2011, 12:57 PM
For Real ?

Geez, probably why I would never run for the BOD. I dont have openings on my schedule .. :roll:

ILikeBBQ
10-27-2011, 01:22 PM

I don't say much....but, I HAVE to on this one.

It's unfortunate that you had a heart attack. It's fortunate that you're appreciating things/life more.

Not everyone has been blessed with a child.

No one can walk in your shoes. No one can walk in their shoes.

People who live in glass houses shouldn't cast stones.....You give numerous reasons why people shouldn't vote for the "ticket" and THAT, sir, is what is overshadowing ANY type of reason to vote for you.

Leatherheadiowa
10-27-2011, 01:28 PM
I don't say much....but, I HAVE to on this one.

It's unfortunate that you had a heart attack. It's fortunate that you're appreciating things/life more.

Not everyone has been blessed with a child.

No one can walk in your shoes. No one can walk in their shoes.

People who live in glass houses shouldn't cast stones.....You give numerous reasons why people shouldn't vote for the "ticket" and THAT, sir, is what is overshadowing ANY type of reason to vote for you.

I didn't see any reasons given besides 4 very like minded people running for the BOD is very similar to what we have now. I believe that all candidates are hoping for transparency and the details are coming out about individual ideas. A little diversity along the lines is a good thing for any governing body. I am sorry that you were offended, and I apologize for that.

Candy Sue
10-27-2011, 02:03 PM
BJ -- I think you need to listen to MP3's of the board meetings and read the minutes over the last several months. I think you'll find that closed sessions have agendas that are posted on the kcbs.us website (last item on your video agenda). I absolutely would not characterize the board as a "group of buddies that stay and play together." If we are, we don't play well together and should be spending alot of quality in-the-corner-thinking-on-bad-behavior time.

I wish you well on your run for the board. If you are elected, I will enjoy serving with you.

Scottie
10-27-2011, 03:09 PM
Thanks for posting Candy. It's refreshing hearing the other side of things that we like to rail on as members.

It truly is a thankless job, one that i couldnt and can't do. So whether we agree or disagree on subjects, i appreciate it. :thumb:

Jeff_in_KC
10-28-2011, 07:13 PM
BJ, as a Bronco fan myself, when did you work for Denver and in what capacity? I Think you mentioned sports medicine? What did you think of Greek? He's been there forever. One of the best, I hear.