PDA

View Full Version : I Might Try Myron Mixon's Brisket Method.

Wesman61
10-20-2011, 10:37 PM
His method only smokes the brisket for maybe 5 or 6 hours. Then he takes it out and wraps the whole pan in a blanket for 3 or 4 hours. He also likes to inject the hell outta everything. I haven't smoked a brisket in quite some time. If I do this it'll be on my Son's NB offset. Has anyone tried MM's method?

cpw
10-21-2011, 05:59 AM
Myron's method is "hot and fast". If you do a search for hot and fast brisket, you'll find a million threads on the subject.

southernstyle
10-21-2011, 06:15 AM
Myron's method is "hot and fast". If you do a search for hot and fast brisket, you'll find a million threads on the subject.

yea.his method is real hot. his total time is about 6 hrs. at a contest he starts at 4 am and pulls at 10 am with a couple hrs of rest

smokeyw
10-21-2011, 06:42 AM
Hot and fast works well with brisket :thumb:

btcg
10-21-2011, 08:12 AM
H&F works well.

But I still prefer L&S... and I say that as a grad of JOS.

speedrcer1
10-21-2011, 10:05 AM
Very well laid out in Myron's book.

That being said, I did try it. And did not like the results. Tough and not as flavorful in my opinion.

Wesman61
10-21-2011, 01:50 PM
Well I hate to waste a good piece of meat. I have a Traeger for l&S but was planning to use the offset. I guess I'll have to think about it.

speers90
10-21-2011, 02:10 PM
Give it a try, I had great results with hot and fast brisket last weekend. My suggestion would be to follow Pitmaster T's cooking recommendations EXACTLY as he has so graciously posted them on this site! Use an internal thermometer only as a tool to determine when to start checking for doneness via the probe test.

I started checking mine for doneness at 185, but it wasn't until about 195 that it was probe tender.

Wesman61
10-21-2011, 04:09 PM
Give it a try, I had great results with hot and fast brisket last weekend. My suggestion would be to follow Pitmaster T's cooking recommendations EXACTLY as he has so graciously posted them on this site! Use an internal thermometer only as a tool to determine when to start checking for doneness via the probe test.

I started checking mine for doneness at 185, but it wasn't until about 195 that it was probe tender.

I think the book says to pull at 205. I may go ahead anyway. I need to run by Cash & Carry to price brisket.

MilitantSquatter
10-21-2011, 08:19 PM
I think the book says to pull at 205. I may go ahead anyway. I need to run by Cash & Carry to price brisket.

Go for it and try it out...

however, be careful about following a book/recipe word for word. Remember, the book needs to be written for those who are clueless as well.

205 or may not be right....better to use your own good judgement on when it's done...