PDA

View Full Version : Spritzing your meat

BBQ Bacon
10-17-2011, 08:12 AM
My first experience with smoking was courtesy one of Rockin Ronnie's classes and he had use spritz the meat with apple juice during the smoking process. Now when I did my ribs I didn't spritz and they seemed ok to me. Is there a benefit of spritzing your meat while on the smoker, or is too much opening and closing the smoker counter any benefit?

captndan
10-17-2011, 08:20 AM
You are correct.

btcg
10-17-2011, 08:20 AM
My first experience with smoking was courtesy one of Rockin Ronnie's classes and he had use spritz the meat with apple juice during the smoking process. Now when I did my ribs I didn't spritz and they seemed ok to me. Is there a benefit of spritzing your meat while on the smoker, or is too much opening and closing the smoker counter any benefit?

I've given up on the spritz.

In order to spritz, you've gotta open the smoker, and that's something I do usually, only 3 times during a cook:

1- when I add the meat to start
2- about 8.5 hours in when I add more charcoal and water (if needed)
3- when I remove the meat

The large built in water pan in the Backwoods, to me, makes the spritz unnecessary.

And if you're lookin..... well, you know the rest.

BBQ Bandit
10-17-2011, 09:19 AM
True... my techniques have been modified and simplified over the years.

Used to spritz every hour or so...
Used to foil during the cook...
Used to cook to an internal temp all the time...
Used to cook low and slow only....

bover
10-17-2011, 10:01 AM
I've yet to find any benefit to spritzing and/or mopping.

landarc
10-17-2011, 10:19 AM
Normally I don't spray the meat while cooking. However, I do spray sometimes as I have been playing around with a thin glaze to add flavor during the final stages of cooking. This has nothing to do with moisture, it is all about adding a layer of flavor to the meat.

gtr
10-17-2011, 10:38 AM
I've come to the opinion that the best thing to do while cooking is to leave the cooker closed.

Grafixgibbs
10-17-2011, 10:44 AM
I spritz every hour with a mixture of things. I like the flavor of the bark when I do.

Johnny_Crunch
10-17-2011, 10:46 AM
I can't figure out what spraying liquid on the outside of the meat could do other than wash seasoning off.

landarc
10-17-2011, 11:19 AM
I don't apply enough to run off. It is just to add another layer of flavor.

NS Mike D
10-17-2011, 11:30 AM
I often use a cranberry spritz on my ribs. It doesn't wash of the rub, and will add both a tartness as it evaporates and a red hue.

I give a quick spritz at 2 hours when I start the bendy test. I don't open the cooker to spritz. I spirtz when I open the cooker.

If I am foiling, I don't spritz as I can add those flavors in the foil.

If I am not saucing, I will use a spritz with brown sugar adn oil to add sweetness and smooth surface texture.

I will occasionaly spritz when I am grilling and want to add a little flavor towards the end of a cook (pork chops etc).

I recently grilled skinless chicken breasts (the equivalent of licking carpet IMO). To make it interesting I dusted them with Yardbird, and halfway lightly spritz them with a cranberry, olive oil and brown sugar mix. It had the effect of a very light glaze - in keeping with the "diet" or "lite" menu.

jbcain
10-18-2011, 10:28 AM
spritzing is very beneficial. look up the process of myoglobin and notice that NO2 only breaches a moist meat. now sit back, and think about it :) I'll say my smoke rings are indicative of the validity.

Bigfoot21075
10-18-2011, 11:04 AM
spritzing is very beneficial. look up the process of myoglobin and notice that NO2 only breaches a moist meat. now sit back, and think about it :) I'll say my smoke rings are indicative of the validity.

From recent posts - there is NO arguing with his results :shock: