PDA

View Full Version : Are the old days back?

FatBoyz
10-17-2011, 05:37 AM
I stopped competing for a year or two because in my opinion all the fun and friendships had go away. With that said I saw this weekend in libertyville these things that made me want to compete again.
Someone lend a team there very expensive generator so that would have good power.
I saw people lending spices to some who needed it.
I saw someone fetch water for someone who needed it
I saw people mentoring.
I saw someone make enuff coffie for every. Even though there pot died.
I saw folks out and talking and laughing again.
I think bbq might be going back to fun again so are y'all seeing many the same thing?

timzcardz
10-17-2011, 05:50 AM
Honestly, I hadn't realized that the fun and comraderie had left.

But if it's back, GOOD!

southernstyle
10-17-2011, 06:21 AM
Honestly, I hadn't realized that the fun and comraderie had left.

But if it's back, GOOD!

me niether

bbqdavarrow
10-17-2011, 06:23 AM
that happened to my wife this year, between doing the grilling on Saturday, KCBS on Sunday and having 20 some guests come to party, it just too crazy for her and she said she is done!:shocked:
as far as teams helping each other and having a good time I haven't seen any decline in that since I have been competing

Ron_L
10-17-2011, 07:33 AM
We always have fun and get out and meet new teams and catch up with long time friends. That's one of the best things about going to competitions. If it ever stops being fun for us we'd have to think hard about what to do, so I understand where you were a couple of years ago.

hogzgonewild
10-17-2011, 07:39 AM
We participated in our very first competition this past weekend. When our water hose bursted, the team next to us ran to shut it off at the tap, and then allowed us to use their hose the rest of the competition. Buckshot Malone, who was participating in the Pro division, walked 1/2 mile to our site at least 4 times during the weekend to check in on us and see how we were doing. We had a good laugh/talk with at least 5-6 of the teams around us and can definitely say we made some friends. As my father-in-law walked our boxes to the judges tent, he said he got numerous "Good Luck"s and Claps from other teams we were competing against. We cannot wait until the next one!

CBQ
10-17-2011, 12:11 PM
We have borrowed sauce from other teams.

We have lent out hoses, electrical cords, and allowed use of our RV generator. (Once we ran 7 cooksites with it.)

Lunchmeat in the northeast makes enough "damn dip" to feed ALL the contest teams at EVERY contest they compete in. With all the cheese, chili, cream cheese, and stuff in there it's probably a damn expensive dip, but they always do it. Thanks Sully!

It's not uncommon to be offering a drink when you drop by for a chat with a team you know well.

I am not a social butterfly by any means, but I have found most BBQ people to be easy to get along with, and happy to help each other out. The fun and comraderie is still there, and is one of the reasons I compete.

Scottie
10-17-2011, 01:32 PM
First off, it was a gently used old Honda generator that Mike borrowed. It was well worth getting a dozen and half of fresh chicken eggs. So i was the winner on that count!!!

I gave out as much Jack as i could this weekend to Brew-B-Q. Guess that didnt work... :becky:

If i ever have something and someone asks to borrow it, they can have it if i dont need it. Pay it forward...

Ron_L
10-17-2011, 03:04 PM
I gave out as much Jack as i could this weekend to Brew-B-Q. Guess that didnt work... :becky:

Maybe you need to switch to Patron...

:twisted:

Shiz-Nit
10-17-2011, 05:17 PM
I have no idea from the past but i did my 1st comp a few weeks ago and EVERYONE was super nice to eachother. Some found out I was doing a comp by myself for the 1st time and was going to send a team member over to help me out. Some even took me back to their camp and showed me how to make a proper turn in box. One team offered to watch my pit while I got a little sleep.

I tell you what BBQ people are the BEST!!!!

BBQ People should run this county and it would be alot better place.

Coz
10-17-2011, 06:45 PM
Only having 4 years to draw from ,I see all the things mentioned regularly .From getting fed Prime rib at an event (thanks Todd) Coffee for the wife (Ron) Being invited to spend a turn in day with a competitor who shared everything ,answered all questions even tho we werent rookies any more ( Andy) theres so many I cant even remember .We tyr to pay it back / Forward etc when ever possible .I wouldnt take a million bucks for the friends we have made in BBQ. From PoorQue to the Royal we have seen this every where we have been.

Brew-B-Q
10-17-2011, 08:34 PM
First off, it was a gently used old Honda generator that Mike borrowed. It was well worth getting a dozen and half of fresh chicken eggs. So i was the winner on that count!!!

If i ever have something and someone asks to borrow it, they can have it if i dont need it. Pay it forward...

Oh it worked alright. My headache didnt go away until Sunday. But, I saved the bottle and we are bringing it to TN this weekend as a good luck charm.

motoeric
10-17-2011, 08:55 PM
With only one exception, every interaction I've had with other competitors at events have been positive.

We've been lucky enough to be next to the Babylon GrillBillies twice and they were as friendly as humanly possible. At WilliePallooza we had teams helping as an ez-up came crashing down in the rain, offering blankets and helping to replace a thermometer that had decided it was time to go to that big thermometer graveyard.

Sledneck spent time helping my niece learn how to cut chicken thighs. Jerry walked her through cooking ribs.

Teams have offered garnish when we ran low and let us use their hose when we needed it.

We've tried to reciprocate with breakfast fatties and kettle pizza's.

I certainly haven't seen any dip in the graciousness of competitors. Maybe we're just lucky enough to have competed at the right events, but I'm pretty sure that BBQ people are like that across the board.

BTW, that also extends to judges. We've started asking judges to bring 2 cans of food with them that we include with the food that's donated to local food pantries. They always bring much more than is requested.

BBQ folks kick butt.

Eric

Captain P.J.
10-17-2011, 11:11 PM
[QUOTE=Scottie;1820524]I gave out as much Jack as i could this weekend to Brew-B-Q. Guess that didnt work... :becky:
QUOTE]

Try vodka next time... In Fond du Lac (last year) they were up till 3:00am... come to think of it I think they ended up with GC... those guys are machines!! And Pat... save some Jack for me this weekend... lol

jbcain
10-18-2011, 03:38 AM
Never had any issues out the KCBS events, except for the occasional drunk who can't find their own site.

Plowboy
10-19-2011, 12:47 AM
I plan on being a complete jackass next year. Time for a change.

JD McGee
10-19-2011, 07:28 AM
I stopped competing for a year or two because in my opinion all the fun and friendships had go away. With that said I saw this weekend in libertyville these things that made me want to compete again.
Someone lend a team there very expensive generator so that would have good power.
I saw people lending spices to some who needed it.
I saw someone fetch water for someone who needed it
I saw people mentoring.
I saw someone make enuff coffie for every. Even though there pot died.
I saw folks out and talking and laughing again.
I think bbq might be going back to fun again so are y'all seeing many the same thing?

Pretty much the norm out here in PNWBA land...:thumb:

jcpetro97
10-19-2011, 01:05 PM
It was the camaraderie I witnessed, and read about here, that really got me wanting to compete. I am looking forward to my first event in the spring!!

chambersuac
10-19-2011, 04:18 PM
Um...Billy, I love ya and all, but did you think that the fun came back BECAUSE you left??????

Just kidding. Just kidding.

Yeah, the competition guys are mostly top notch and friendly - and all are generous.

Welcome back to the competition scene, brother.

HarleyGirl14226
10-19-2011, 04:42 PM
While this was our rookie year, we've had nothing but GREAT experiences with fellow BBQ'ers... From helping us put up our EZ Ups to a neighboring team not only loaning us a missing ingredient and helping us park our trailer (Thanks Good Smoke :-D ) to actually calling their spouse and having them bring the missing ingredient to the comp for us (Thanks Shelly @ Desperado's :-D ); we've also had a team loan us a member to drive me to the ER when I sliced my leg open at the Taste of Country in Buffalo the morning of turn-ins so my husband could stay behind and continue to compete! (Thanks Noel and Kris! :clap2: )

We in turn have tried to "pay back" this generosity by helping out others whenever we can by either giving them ingredients when forgotten, loaning a can opener or vegetable peeler or the use of our generator, and even helping out a team who wasn't sure how they were going to put together their presentation for a NEBS grilling entry - and then even loaned them the containers to pull it off.

The fact that there is this level of camaraderie at comps and no "Us" versus "Them" will continue to bring us back time and time again. Where else do the people you are competing against clap, yell and scream for you when you get your name called? It's truly amazing, and I say BBQ people are the best around.

rooftop bbq
10-19-2011, 06:22 PM
that atmosphere at competitions is what really hooked us. Its hard to explain to others who havent competed. Competition BBQ is very competitve but at the same time any one would do anything for anyone else. At awards everyone is praying they get a call but just as happy when someone else gets one. Like nothing I've experienced before

CBQ
10-19-2011, 08:29 PM
a neighboring team not only loaning us a missing ingredient and helping us park our trailer (Thanks Good Smoke :-D )

That is amazing, considering when Good Smoke tried to "help" us like that, we sent 'em to the hospital. :mod:

also had a team loan us a member to drive me to the ER when I sliced my leg open

Sounds like it could be a passive-agressive revenge slicing. Was Good Smoke involved? :becky:

(Good Smoke are a class act, even put up with me teasing Jon about his "incident".)

HarleyGirl14226
10-20-2011, 11:51 AM
Chris,

Yup - they are a class act... We love 'em!

OH - I heard about "the incident" with Jon... LOL He and I have agreed that two of the reasons competitive BBQ should be considered a sport is because (a) you can get injured and (b) there might be some running involved.

As far as my trip to the ER, my own team is to blame. Let's just say a can lid was not shoved into the empty can (as it should have been), and when I tried swinging the plastic garbage bag up and over my head - it made its presence known. Right into my left leg. Like a meat slicer on a pendulum. Good times. But – I went to the ER, got stitched up, and was back on site within 2 hours just in time to have a Jack shot, finish turn ins and even vend!

You may have heard my new nickname (given to me by Danielle)… “Toughest lady in BBQ”… Although I prefer “Tough as nails Jersey” (Thanks Mike!) :boxing: