PDA

View Full Version : backwoods smoker hot and fast

mjljr13
10-13-2011, 07:22 AM
I was just wondering if anyone has cooked on a backwoods smoker hot and fast. I know old dave has I was wanting to here others chime in and tell me there experiences good and or bad. I'm wanting to cook pork butts about 300-350 getting them done in 4 1/2 - 5 hrs. Ill be running a backwoods fatboy.

RangerJ
10-13-2011, 01:22 PM
I was just wondering if anyone has cooked on a backwoods smoker hot and fast. I know old dave has I was wanting to here others chime in and tell me there experiences good and or bad. I'm wanting to cook pork butts about 300-350 getting them done in 4 1/2 - 5 hrs. Ill be running a backwoods fatboy.

Not for Pork Butts, for Brisket, yes. Its like anything else, you have to monitor the internal temperature of the meat.

If this is for an event, I'd practice on one at home first to see what the general timing looks like.

BBQ PD
10-13-2011, 01:51 PM
In order to get a Backwoods up to 350*, you really need to run it without water, which presents a problem with anything dripping grease, such as a pork butt. You will need a grease pan so the grease doesn't end up at the bottom of the cooker, and if it does, instant grease fire. The only time I run my dry is if I am doing pizzas, or I want to heat it up and use it as an oven, but not for cooking anything that is not in a pan. I accidentally let mine run dry once when cooking a load of ribs, and when the cooker began billowing loads of smoke, I opened the door to investigate; instant fireball. Pretty scary.

HB-BBQ
10-13-2011, 02:09 PM
I have never been a fan of running any of my backwoods cookers that hot but I do know of many folks that do. I did so once in my old Party at a comp while cooking chicken and got the same effects as BBQPD...IMHO they cannot take excessive heat due to the overall design and the wall thickness of the steel. I have seen pictures warped doors and burned firepans posted here or elsewhere that prove that theory. If it were me I'd find another cooker to use.

Braddog
10-13-2011, 02:40 PM
I have never been a fan of running any of my backwoods cookers that hot but I do know of many folks that do. I did so once in my old Party at a comp while cooking chicken and got the same effects as BBQPD...IMHO they cannot take excessive heat due to the overall design and the wall thickness of the steel. I have seen pictures warped doors and burned firepans posted here or elsewhere that prove that theory. If it were me I'd find another cooker to use.

+1

Not the cooker for hot & fast, IMHO.

Cheers,
Braddog

Shiz-Nit
10-13-2011, 03:11 PM
I dont like getting my backwoods that hot. I did a few times but she just did not like it she like it a little cooler and slower.

LVBBQMan
10-14-2011, 01:19 AM
Would just like to say I agree with everyone who has said they don't like running their Backwoods that hot. I have taken mine to 250 and might try 275 one day but that would be my personal max. Just remember that due to the insulation of a Backwoods it loses less heat through the shell so you will be getting substantially more heat into your meat at 275 with a Backwoods than with a non-insulated smoker which will decrease your cook time.

mjljr13
10-14-2011, 07:00 AM
thanks all for the replies, i think im just gonna use a different cooker for this cook! thanks!

Fishiest1
10-14-2011, 12:37 PM
Pretty interesting!

I have cooked chicken in my party at 300+ probably 10-15 times and have never had an issue.

The other meats and tend to stay around 225-250ish

btcg
10-14-2011, 01:42 PM

You can do that, but I get such wonderful results in my Chubby low & slowin that it seems like a why bother, unless you're pressed for time.