PDA

View Full Version : I've got to cook for my crew.

rebelman
10-11-2011, 05:58 PM
I have a contract logging crew that works for me full time. I plan on rewarding them this Thursday with a lunch. I'll be cooking for about 15 people. It will need to be a short cook, probably start early morning and take off at lunch. I'm thinking chicken halves would be the easiest but haven't ruled out ribs. I'm going to do some of my crowd favorite baked beans but can't think of another side. It needs to be easy as I still have to work while everything is cooking. Any ideas on another side and approx poundage of ribs if I go that way?

ShutYrMouth
10-11-2011, 07:01 PM
you'll need 5-6 racks i'd imagine.
mac n cheese

Twelvegaugepump
10-11-2011, 07:44 PM
Whole mess of chix thins and legs. Fast cook but easy to eat and dang tasty. Could do ABTs as another side, but a firery crap in the woods the next morning could be an issue. What aout some slaw kept cold in the cooler? Sounds like a blast for a fall logging crew.

southernstyle
10-11-2011, 07:56 PM
make cole slaw the nite before, and keep in the cooler. do 5 slabs to be ont he safe side

Pappy
10-11-2011, 08:04 PM
JANET’S MACARONI SALAD
INGREDIENTS:
16 oz Elbow macaroni
16 oz Mild cheddar chunk cheese (I like sharp cheddar, but she’s making it, not me)
15 oz Jar Kraft miracle whip
2 tbsp Sweet pickle relish
4 oz Jar diced pimento’s, drained
2 tbsp Yellow mustard
1 bunch Green onion
Salt to taste
1 stalk Celery

DIRECTIONS:
Cook elbow macaroni according to the instructions on the box. Rinse.
In a separate bowl mix miracle whip, mustard, pimentos, salt and relish.
Add cooked macaroni and mix in thin green onion (thin sliced ), celery (diced),
Cheddar cheese (cubed) in large bowl.
Stir and mix all together. Chill and serve.
Tip: Add extra miracle whip & mustard mix after sitting overnight.
No one likes dry macaroni salad.

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k591/Pappy1954/Wings/IMG_3383.jpg

This is my favorite side.

tamadrummer
10-11-2011, 08:07 PM
Whole mess of chix thins and legs. Fast cook but easy to eat and dang tasty. Could do ABTs as another side, but a firery crap in the woods the next morning could be an issue. What aout some slaw kept cold in the cooler? Sounds like a blast for a fall logging crew.

Yup, for ease of cook and enjoyment by the crew. This is a no fail idea!! Chicken is so much easier to cook than other meats because you don't have to worry about when it is done for each person, its simply done when its done. There are no med-rare, med, med well and so on chicken eaters.

p.s. the guys that work for you should be thankful man! Most tree crews are run into the ground and left for dead at the end of the day. (Davey and Asplenduh (sp) are just a couple of examples)

tortaboy
10-11-2011, 09:25 PM
Another option is to buy a roast and have the butcher cut it very thinly.

Marinade it in your favorite marinade overnight.

Grill it hot and fast...makes FANTASTIC sandwiches on french rolls...especially when piled high.

For a special treat, add melted cheese!

The guys will be living large...Chicken is a PITA. :)

trucky9754
10-11-2011, 09:54 PM
I guess it all depends on what you are going to cook on. What type of smoker, grill are you going to be using? If it were me, I would be doing it in my FEC 100 and along with the Ribs and Baked Beans, I would do a tray of cheesy potatoes. (With ribs, you are going to get about 13 bones out of each rib. So 5 slabs of ribs should feed 15 with the sides you intend on serving.) If you are not using a smoker, then you might not have the room for another hot side. The Mac salad looks great and goes with beans very well. It would all depend on what equipment and coolers you have available. Good luck and good cooking.

tortaboy
10-11-2011, 10:14 PM
Hey, they stole MY idea! And already made a video!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jLSzoqNcV6w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hoss
10-11-2011, 10:29 PM
Chicken quarters,slaw/mac salid made the nite before,kept in a cooler and your beans.Some type of bread or roll.Sumthin sweet like cookies for a dessert.This crew will appreciate it.It don't need to be fancy.I would not trade a good chicken quarter for ANY farkin rib. :wink:

BillywannaQ
10-11-2011, 10:37 PM
15 loggers? I think you're gonna need more than 5 slabs of ribs!

Ground Pounder
10-11-2011, 10:55 PM
Corn on the cob - 15 ears will run ya less than $10 in most places, just foil with some butter and let 'em go until they're done. It'll go well with anything and beans.

tortaboy
10-11-2011, 11:13 PM
Most deli's have good tasting potato salad, but use too much mayo for my taste. We buy a quart of potato salad (Mustard is my favorite), and use it as the "Base" for a big crowd. Boil 10 pounds of potato's to mix in, garnish, and you have a HUGE bowl in under an hour. Nobody ever would guess that it came from a deli.

Quemaster
10-12-2011, 06:40 AM
For big eaters I'd cook 8 whole chickens, cut in halves. Marinate overnight and BBQ at 310 deg using Apple & Hickory for smoke.

Have you ever tried marinating your chickens in Mojo? Very good flavor.

GreenDrake
10-12-2011, 08:33 AM
Heck, get some butts, pre-smoke and pull. Re-heat that morning and do some smoked mac n cheese with peppers, bacon and good cheese.

razrbakcrzy
10-12-2011, 08:45 AM
15 big hungry men would put away 1/2 a rack each easy...I would have to do atleast 8-10 racks, or you could spatchcock 8-10 chickens. The cost comparison is not even close then each guy gets a whole half chicken.

Mac Salad is easy (prep night before keep in cooler)
Potato salad easy (prep night before keep in cooler)
Cole slaw easy (prep night before keep in cooler)
Your beans
Roasted Corn on cob fast and easy (corn, butter, salt, foil, cooker, done)
Baked Potato, Fast and easy (potato, butter, salt, foil, cooker, done)
Au gratin potatos labor intensive but once on smoker your pretty much done
Bacon mac and cheese (same as Au Gratin potatos)
Skin on Pan fried potatos with onion usually a big hit with men...

Any combination should work...

Norm
10-12-2011, 10:02 AM
Make or buy some chocolate chip cookies for dessert. As a part time logger I want to thank you for caring enough to do this, it's a tough and dangerous job.

rebelman
10-12-2011, 03:00 PM
For big eaters I'd cook 8 whole chickens, cut in halves. Marinate overnight and BBQ at 310 deg using Apple & Hickory for smoke.

Have you ever tried marinating your chickens in Mojo? Very good flavor.

Winner! I'm going to go with chicken halves. Going to brine them overnight and cook tomorrow. For the other side I'm going to go with a hot corn recipe from a friend. It is an easy crockpot recipe. Thanks guys for the ideas and I'll post pics of the cook tomorrow.