PDA

View Full Version : New to this, need advice

Mbalmer
10-09-2011, 06:10 PM
I purchased a smoker yesterday without much thought/planning and after 2 days of using it I can safely say I have no idea what I am doing.

I purchased a progrill vertical charcoal smoker from Menards (I know there are better ones out there) and I can't seem to get the heat to stay above 200 degrees. I did a beer can chicken yesterday and finished it off in the oven and I currently have a brisket (3lbs) that I am finishing off in the stove after being in the smoker for about 6 1/2 hours.

The first day I used briquetts and then today I used a cheap lump. They both topped off at about 200 degrees. Is it as simple as using a better lump charcoal?

Also, I don't know how to use the vents. My normal thinking would be to close them so the heat stays in, but apparently that is backwards thinking. I have 2 vents at the bottom sides, and one at the top back where the meat is. I have been leaving the top one closed.

Also, do I set the wood chips on fire in the wood box? How do I use the chips. I tried alot of different ways with the best being to throw them on the charcoal.

At this point, I am thinking of selling this on craigslist and buying a propane one, but I would really, really like to have a charcoal one.

Where's the question, right? I have questions about it all.

Please give advice for a newb.

Thanks in advance.

porkingINpublic
10-09-2011, 06:16 PM
Soak the chips in water so they don't just burn up.... I have a similar smoker and it never seems to get above 150-175.... But my internal temps on meet are fine... I assumed it was a crappy thermostat on the smoker.

DIRTYBIRDZ
10-09-2011, 06:17 PM
Always leave your top vent open. The two vents on bottom is what you should use to regulate temps. If you open the vents wide open the fire will receive more oxygen and will increase temps. If you shut the vents it will decrease oxygen to fire and lower temps. Be patient it takes a few times to figure your cooker out.

DIRTYBIRDZ
10-09-2011, 06:20 PM
In my opinion the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker is a great and easy to use vertical smoker. Not familiar with your cooker but I would use wood chunks instead of chips. I would place 2 or 3 chunks directly on coals.

Mbalmer
10-09-2011, 06:23 PM
What is the theory/thinking behind always leaving the top vent open?

I did soak the chips in water, but then do I just put them in the "wood chip box" and leave them alone? I did this and never seemed to get much smoke.

Thanks for your help.

Mbalmer
10-09-2011, 06:25 PM
In my opinion the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker is a great and easy to use vertical smoker. Not familiar with your cooker but I would use wood chunks instead of chips. I would place 2 or 3 chunks directly on coals.

I was just talking to my wife about the WSM. I think I am going to pawn this off on someone on craigslist and get one of those.

I would really like to just get this one to work good, but that might not happen.

eddieh70301
10-09-2011, 06:27 PM
I'm not familiar with your smoker but I would get a good remote thermometer like the Maverick and use that for your temp. If the thermometer on your smoker can be calibrated, you need to do that. Otherwise, just get a Maverick.

I would also suspect you have air leakage somewhere, probably around the door. That could be part of the problem with your temps.

As for as the wood, throw them on top of your lit charcoal. You will probably have to add a chunk or two or a handful of chips during the cook. I think the rule is once the meat reaches an internal temp of 140, it no longer absorbs smoke.

Grillman
10-09-2011, 06:32 PM
What is the theory/thinking behind always leaving the top vent open?

Thanks for your help.

With the top vent closed it's kind of like having somebody grab you
with both hands around your neck and squeezing as hard as they can.

It's not good for you because you can't breathe properly. The same
for your smoker...it can't breathe properly with the top vent closed.
Always keep the top vent open....use the bottom vents to control how
much air is getting in; thereby controlling how hot it will be inside the
smoker.

DIRTYBIRDZ
10-09-2011, 06:34 PM
Leave the top vent open for ventilation. The smoke needs to come out of the smoker. If not cresote or soot could form at the top of your smoker. This is what I've always read regarding the WSM.

Lake Dogs
10-09-2011, 06:40 PM
You've restricted the air flow to the point where the temperature cannot come up. Also wet wood will do this too. Dry wood (chunks or chips), open up all the vents until it comes up to 250+-. THEN and only then do you begin to close the bottom vents slightly so as to regulate the temperature. Also, WHITE smoke is bad (creosote). Thin blue (called sweet blue) smoke that's almost completely clear is best.

aquablue22
10-09-2011, 06:43 PM
Dude, this is not baking which is a measured science. You have to "Learn" what your smoker will produce heat wise and smoke wise and the only way to do that is trial and error. Open those vents and get some air moving and learn where to set them to maintain the temp you want. Smoking takes time and more time, keep trying and make notes of your progress, a gasser will give you great "grilled" food, set it and forget it! But it's not near as much fun!

Lake Dogs
10-09-2011, 06:48 PM
You can read and read, but you wont be able to make even average bbq until you learn your smoker and fire/smoke control in it. That's first. Also, you're beginning to learn that while we may use digital thermometers and auto-feeds, etc. on some smokers, barbecue is much more art than science. That's the fun of it.

AD18
10-09-2011, 06:49 PM
Agreed on all of the above. Welcome to the school of hard knocks. The thermometer may be a cheapie and will mess everything up real quick. If you can uninstall the thermometer boil some water and put the thermo in it. Should read 212F. If you can calibrate it correctly that may solve a lot of your woes. If it is way off or cannot be calibrated chuck it and get a Maverick or similar quality thermometer. You will never come close to good barbeque without correct temps. Vent control is another part of your temp control and as stated above the more open the vents are the hotter your temp should be. Good luck and don't give up. Once you get your temps right you'll nail a cook and you'll be on your way. Keep at 'er fella:thumb:

parrdist
10-09-2011, 06:50 PM
WSM will not work well for you either if you keep the top vent closed.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
10-09-2011, 07:11 PM
Is your smoker this GrillPro?
http://www.amazon.com/GrillPro-31840-Heavy-Duty-Vertical-Charcoal/product-reviews/B0026FBHVS/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Mbalmer
10-09-2011, 07:17 PM
Is your smoker this GrillPro?
http://www.amazon.com/GrillPro-31840-Heavy-Duty-Vertical-Charcoal/product-reviews/B0026FBHVS/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Yes, that is the smoker that I have.

I just had the brisket that I finished off in the oven, and I thought it was awesome. Mostly because I DID IT!!! My wife thought it was good, too.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
10-09-2011, 07:20 PM
Great news on the brisket but I bet you will like brisket even better once you get the hang of smoking meat.

I wish there was someone near you that could show you the basics. Gonna take a lot of typing to do it on here.

Mbalmer
10-09-2011, 07:26 PM
Great news on the brisket but I bet you will like brisket even better once you get the hang of smoking meat.

I wish there was someone near you that could show you the basics. Gonna take a lot of typing to do it on here.

I bet your right on the first part.

I plan on doing alot of reading about the subject, but as someone said I guess the best way to learn is by trial and error.

Harbormaster
10-09-2011, 07:31 PM
I took a look at the pic in the link HSLS provided. First thing I notice is that the charcoal is apparently sitting in some type of a pan. This is an issue with ECBs and a whole mess of inexpensive smokers.
And it's what makes the WSM and UDSs different and better.
You need to have your charcoal on an elevated grate with "basket" around the grate. This allows improved airflow for the fire to burn, and it allows ashes to to fall through the grate away from the charcoal so the coals don't smother in their own ash.
It looks like someone could easily build something like that for this pit.
Good luck on your journey.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
10-09-2011, 07:32 PM
I have been looking at youtube to find a video for you which shows the basics. So far no luck with GrillPro. Maybe a Brinkmann vertical will work similarly and will give you some concepts.

Pyle's BBQ
10-09-2011, 07:37 PM
Hey Mbalmer, I am here in Des Moines, if you need help you can PM me and I will do the best to help you. One thing that would be good is to get a oven thermometer and put it inside your smoker to get an idea of what temp you are cooking at.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
10-09-2011, 07:38 PM
That is a great offer Bryan.

Mbalmer
10-09-2011, 07:39 PM
I watched alot of videos, but never saw one that looked great.

I think I am going to find some new thing to have the charcoal in as mentioned above. Could I just drill holes in the pan that I have? I also don't think it would be hard to raise the grate. I also need to find some way to better seal the door. I wonder if a magnet strip would work? Any ideas on that?

Pyle's BBQ
10-09-2011, 07:41 PM
Menards sells a oven seal that may be what you are looking for. They would been near the wood stove products.

Mbalmer
10-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Hey Mbalmer, I am here in Des Moines, if you need help you can PM me and I will do the best to help you. One thing that would be good is to get a oven thermometer and put it inside your smoker to get an idea of what temp you are cooking at.

Thanks for the offer! I am sure I will come up with a list of questions in the next week and then I could send it to you?

I will get an oven thermometer.

What kind-of charcoal do you use that is easy to get in Iowa?

ps. Rough weekend for college football in Iowa...

Mbalmer
10-09-2011, 07:48 PM
Menards sells a oven seal that may be what you are looking for. They would been near the wood stove products.

Is that something that I would take off everytime before I opened it? There is a Menards in Ottumwa, so I will check it out sometime this week. :thumb:

Pyle's BBQ
10-09-2011, 07:58 PM
On the seal, you would attach it to the smoker, either the door or the inside edge of the smoker.
I use Royal Oak hardwood lump. It is in the green bag and at Menards also.
I'll send you a PM with my email and phone number. That way you can email or text question. I usually have my iPhone with me so it normally is not a problem to answer questions.

porkingINpublic
10-09-2011, 09:19 PM
I have the brinkman vertical smoker very similar to urs. I love it. I def think vertical is the way to go. I would start out with something simpler than brisket or roast. Maybe pork chops or spare ribs.... They cook faster & easy. I've also found that getting good rubs is 50% of the smoking fun. Check out oakridgebbq.com & order their $3.00 sampler to get started.... Or google ur own recipes. But it will make smoking more fun!

Pinny
10-09-2011, 09:38 PM
Mbalmer, you don't need a different smoker, you just need to do 2 things:

1. Open all the vents. Every vent. Top and bottom. Yes, heat will escape but that's ok. What's important is to keep a steady draft of hot air moving throughout the smoker. Hot air rises. Just open the vents and physics will do its trick. It's counterintuitive but if you leave every vent open, you'll have the hottest fire. When it gets too hot, then slowly start closing the vents on BOTTOM. Always leave the ones on top wide open.

2. Use plenty of hot coals to start. If you start with a full chimney of hot coals, you'll have no problem keeping temps above 350.