PDA

View Full Version : Easy Side Dish for smoker

JudgeTex
05-16-2005, 01:11 PM
Heard about y'all from Jackson'sDad. Here's an easy side dish that takes about 30 seconds of prep work.

The next time you fire up the smoker, core a cabbage, put an entire stick of butter in the hole, wrap that sucker in foil and leave it in the bottom of the smoker (near the vent) for a couple of hours. Comes out real tender and tasty and the cabbage picks up the smoke flavor real nice. I usually put a little black pepper on it before putting it in the smoker.

This can be done in a campfire, too... just wrap it real good and bury it in the coals.

Any other Bandera-compatible side dish recipes out there?

Neil
05-16-2005, 03:00 PM
I'm going to try that this weekend, sounds good. I love fried cabbage.

mhumm38
05-16-2005, 03:18 PM
Try adding some smoked sausage or sonme bacon chunks in with the butter!! It also adds to the flavoring.

jminion
05-16-2005, 03:23 PM
You may want to hit the cabbage with some balsamic vinegar also, adds a nice touch.

brdbbq
05-16-2005, 03:28 PM
Might try a head this weekend and give it to my neighbor whose kid shot BB holes in my windows.

Mark
05-16-2005, 03:35 PM
Also good with beans as a side while wearing asbestos boxer shorts

G$
05-16-2005, 03:41 PM
I'm going to try that this weekend, sounds good. I love fried cabbage.

What, no "now head over to cattle call and introduce yourself"?

Now head over to cattle call and introduce yourself

Bigmista
05-16-2005, 03:48 PM
I always thought Fatties, Pork CHops and steaks were side dishes...

jt
05-16-2005, 03:58 PM
I always thought Fatties, Pork CHops and steaks were side dishes...
They are, especially at a bash. Of course, there are other side dishes there as well: cheese bread, beer, shine, cabo, ribs, cheese, beer, shine, cabo, brisket, beer, shine, cabo...

Mark
05-16-2005, 04:19 PM
While the primary focus of a bash is clearly on hedonisim and meat (as it should be) Greg's bash had some variety that seemed to compliment; peanuts (of course), home-made ice cream, breakfast, even some sauteed Italian-style summer squash stuff. Lotsa other stuff. Not to mention a variety of crowd pleasing entertainment, "bimbo broad," Greg's dancing, a variety of stupid tricks with power equipment. I think maybe there was a boat involved too.

icemn62
05-16-2005, 05:12 PM
The cabbage idea beats my smoked baked potato, I have got to figure out how to do that in R2D2 unit, Ribs, cabbage, beer I just made a complete meal.

frognot
05-16-2005, 05:31 PM
Lotsa other stuff. Not to mention a variety of crowd pleasing entertainment, "bimbo broad," Greg's dancing, a variety of stupid tricks with power equipment. I think maybe there was a boat involved too.

Where can i find pictures of all this? :shock:

BBQchef33
05-16-2005, 09:26 PM
Lotsa other stuff. Not to mention a variety of crowd pleasing entertainment, "bimbo broad," Greg's dancing, a variety of stupid tricks with power equipment. I think maybe there was a boat involved too.

Our Photo gallery.. under Brethren bashes.. Mofo Bash

On that cabbage recipe, another variation is to drop a garlic clove and a red chile into the hole before ya stuff the butter in.

Heres another thread for the smoked cabbage variations.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=5101&high light=cabbage

JudgeTex
05-17-2005, 10:27 AM
I'm an idiot

I was looking on the nbsmoker web site last night. I think I probably got that damn cabbage recipe from there many many moons ago. It says to put a couple of boullion cubes in with the buter, which I have done but neglected to put in the recipe. So I guess I was preachin' to the choir.

Mark
05-17-2005, 11:17 AM
If you did a search on this site, you would see there was a thread on this topic awhile back. Seemed like mixed results. Also, I recall the recipe came from the old original Bandera mfg. site.

racer_81
05-17-2005, 01:26 PM

AKA Spam Haters Bash.

:evil:

jt
05-17-2005, 02:43 PM

AKA Spam Haters Bash.

You should come to represent the other side.

Samichlaus
05-17-2005, 05:40 PM
Seems like you could just dump some Italian Dressing in there.

midnight
05-17-2005, 05:53 PM
Isn't beer a side dish?

brdbbq
05-18-2005, 08:19 AM

AKA Spam Haters Bash.

Not allowed back in the Mid West anymore since peeing under the Arch.

kcquer
05-18-2005, 08:31 AM
On one of PBS' bbq shows I remember a variation of the cabbage recipe that used bbq sauce and lots of crumbled bacon in the well left from coring the cabbage. Use a ring of crumpled foil to make a base to keep the cabbage upright while cooking.

Mark
05-18-2005, 09:27 AM

AKA Spam Haters Bash.

Not allowed back in the Mid West anymore since peeing under the Arch.

Some how it's not so hard imagining you being arrested for that.