PDA

View Full Version : Pork Belly in the UDS?

crundle
10-07-2011, 09:08 PM
Hi all,

I normally cook up ribs and beer can chicken int he UDS, but today couldn't get any ribs, and bought some pork belly instead.

Does anyone have any ideas for a simple but tasty recipe for these in the UDS that I can cook today?

I have about 4 pounds of pork belly, about the same of chicken drumsticks for the kids and will also be making up some stuffed chicken breast rolls with Philadelphia cheese and sundried tomatoes.

I normally do the ribs in a paprika and sugar rub, which is fantastic, but want to make sure that the belly is a winner.

Thanks for any ideas and help you can provide, such as the proper internal temperature to cook it to.

Crundle

Bbq Bubba
10-07-2011, 09:53 PM
Uncured pork belly will cook like normal pork, problem being there's basically no meat in the belly so you'll mostly have smoked pork fat.

SmokeOCD
10-07-2011, 10:15 PM
smoke the belly - then make some killer beans with it.

Boshizzle
10-07-2011, 10:23 PM
Rub it with salt, pepper, browns sugar, cook it with heavy hickory smoke until it reaches 150F internal, then slice it and fry it and make some white gravy with the drippings using flour, black pepper, and milk and serve it over biscuits or hoe cake.

Now, that's some good eating!

crundle
10-08-2011, 07:44 AM
Thanks for the ideas everyone.

In the end I smoked them like I would for ribs, in a fairly simple rub, they turned out very nice indeed. I sliced the skin about every half inch and it was nice and crunchy, and easy to break.

I then made up a simple sauce from BBQ sauce and honey, and coated the whole lot in it.

I love the UDS!!

cheers,

Crundle