PDA

View Full Version : Ique110 review and a few other stories

Big slick
10-06-2011, 10:14 AM
So I got my Ique 110 about a month ago and just got around to using it the other day. For the record I used this on my 22.5" WSM. The packaging was perfect and neat. The instructions were easy to follow thanks to pictures. In all honesty though I didn't look at the directions till I had hooked everything up so setting this up is really easy to do. Now for it's maiden voyage. I decided to smoke 2-8lb whole briskets. I had one on each rack in the WSM. I poured in a chimney of lump and then another lit chimney of lump on top of that. I clipped the Ique110 to the top rack about 5" from the edge of the grate. I then placed my maverick probe right next to that (laying on the grate). Closed all the bottom vents and left the top vent about half way. The Ique ran flawlessly. I notices though that the WSM thermometer was reading about 20-25 degrees cooler than my maverick and the Ique. Not thinking anymore of it I left the smoker alone and let it cook for 5 hours occasionally taking a quick peak. After the 5th hour I decide to see how tender the meat was. I was shocked to see that both briskets were tough as nails. I decided to crank up the heat and turned the Ique to 300. It took the Ique awhile to get the smoker up to that temp so I opened the top vent completely to get as much air flow going as possible. This was still not getting the temp up quick enough so I opened the access door and after about 10 minutes I was just over 300. I let the briskets cook another hour and probed them again. They were still pretty tough.

I then decided to wrap them in foil to see if that could speed up the process. Well 2 hours later they were still pretty tough. Mind you now that the whole time the WSM thermometer was running about 20 degrees cooler. I let it cook for another hour and they seemed tender enough and if I didn't pull the briskets now there wasn't going to be any dinner.

So I pulled the briskets and cut off the point and cubed it up for burnt ends. Re-seasoned them, added some sauce and threw them back on the smoker and turned the dial all the way up on the Ique. One hour later I started slicing the flats. The meat sliced nicely but was not nearly as tender as I would've liked. Also I must have gone too light on the dry rub because the brisket was very boring. I grabbed the burnt ends an we sat down to eat. To sum it all up this was my worst smoke yet.

The next day we threw the brisket in a pan, poured on some bbq sauce and a little bit of dry rub, covered it with tin foil and cooked it in the oven at 350 for 4 hours an it made the meat a lot more tender. So we were able to save it.

I'm not sure why my WSM thermometer was so much cooler than my maverick and Ique. Normally they run within 5 degrees of each other. Regardless, the Ique worked like a charm. The worst part about it was the fact that I had to run extension chords to power it. Also, every time I opened the lid the error light would flash and then after about 5 minutes with the lid back on it would go back to working fine. It's easy to use and works well so in my book it's worth every penny.

Any ideas as to why the temps were so far off?? I think this is why My briskets were taking so long. Normally I can crank out a brisket in 9 hours and by the time the 9th hour rolls around the neat is perfectly tender.

I thought that maybe it was just a tough brisket, but what are the odds that I get two tough briskets???

What do you guys think.

Teleking
10-06-2011, 10:39 AM
5 hours for a brisket ain’t enough time. And what was the internal temp of the brisket when you pulled it? Cook by internal temp. not time.

caseydog
10-06-2011, 10:53 AM
My iQue110 probe reads different from my WSM thermometer, even if I put them side-by-side. The iQue reading seems to be the closest to the real temperature, so I go by it.

I am able to lift my lid and not cause an error. I'm not sure why yours does that.

As for the brisket, it sounds like you messed around with it several times. Perhaps you would have been better off to leave the lid on and let it do its thing. Just a thought.

CD

Untraceable
10-06-2011, 10:59 AM
My 22 runs about 20-40 degrees warmer at the grate than the lid temp. I trust the maverick but it doesnt really matter I guess. If Im used the the product I put out when my lid is reading 240, who cares if its actually 270? as long as its consistant

Callahan-que
10-06-2011, 11:27 AM
The WSM thermometer is reading the temp at the dome which will be different than at the grate. Also the WSM thermometers are famous for not being very accurate. Remove it sometime and test it in a pot of boiling water and you'll know how accurate it is.

Jason TQ
10-06-2011, 12:45 PM
I used both my 22 WSM and the ique this last weekend at a competition and it ran pretty dead on to my maverick. Even though I like having the weber lid thermometer, mostly because it looks nice, I pretty much never use it to gauge temp. Maybe the brisket just needed to go longer. Sounded like they went about 8hrs with a ramped up temp at the end. Though I screw up many a brisket so I might not be the best for advice on that :-P. I do like my ique.

pinkelephant
10-06-2011, 04:05 PM
what temp was the brisket when you pulled it?

fr8erfxr
10-07-2011, 06:25 AM
It's normal for the green light to flash for a few minutes after the smoker has been opened. Also, if you do a search there are mods that have been done to use batteries to power the iQue if power is not available.

luckyduk
10-07-2011, 09:10 AM
When the green red light flashes and I want immediate air flow, I just unplug the power from the contoller and plug it back in, that resets it.

John I. Que
10-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Luckyduk gets it done! 3rd Runner Up in the American Royal Invitational! Good job Justin!

Big slick
10-12-2011, 07:20 AM
The temp of the brisket when I pulled it was just shy of 200...maybe 198.

pinkelephant
10-12-2011, 07:45 AM
The temp of the brisket when I pulled it was just shy of 200...maybe 198.
I've been told it can get to 205 sometimes till it passes the probe test. poke it with a probe and when there is no resistance, your there